Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 7 Black Telemetry Unusable/Wrong

I have a brand new Hero 7 Black, and just got back from my first ride with it. GPS in the unit is turned on and I had it outside with a clear view of the sky for a good 15-20 minutes before recording.

Looking at my videos on the app, the telemetry is completely wrong. It says I'm going anywhere from 1-181km/h (see attached), the map is useless and all around it just doesn't work correctly.  Also, when I open GoPro Quik, I can't add telemety there either - it says "NO GPS DATA". 

What am I doing wrong here? 

IMG_6835.jpg
Nomad

Re: Hero 7 Black Telemetry Unusable/Wrong

Looks like you're in a forested area surrounded by tree's.  This will lead to GPS shadowing and loss of signal.  All you need to do is lose signal for just a few seconds and the whole GPS data on your camera gets messed up and unusable.  This is why people don't fly drones in a forest on GPS assist mode (they usually use manual mode).  In all honesty, flying in the sky at 2000ft in a plane I've seen messed up GPS information from a GoPro, I just don't think the GPS data is that accurate.  You'd be better off downloading a GPS logger app for your  smart phone and log the data that way.  The phone uses both GPS and Cell tower data to maintain accuracy.  Then use something like RaceRender to transfer the data and make proper GPS overlays.

Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black Telemetry Unusable/Wrong

@irishmanpdx wrote:

Looks like you're in a forested area surrounded by tree's.  This will lead to GPS shadowing and loss of signal.  All you need to do is lose signal for just a few seconds and the whole GPS data on your camera gets messed up and unusable.  This is why people don't fly drones in a forest on GPS assist mode (they usually use manual mode).  In all honesty, flying in the sky at 2000ft in a plane I've seen messed up GPS information from a GoPro, I just don't think the GPS data is that accurate.  You'd be better off downloading a GPS logger app for your  smart phone and log the data that way.  The phone uses both GPS and Cell tower data to maintain accuracy.  Then use something like RaceRender to transfer the data and make proper GPS overlays.

Thanks for the reply! :) I ride with a Garmin Edge which has no problem keeping up with the telemetry, and my previous camera (a Garmin VIRB Ultra 30) also has very few issues with tree covered trails. Is the receiver in the Hero really that bad? 

I understand how GPS dropouts work, but the fact that none of the telmetry on my GoPro is even remotely close to accurate (ever, even in wide-open areas) hopefully points to a different issue. 

Thanks for the tip on RaceRender - I'll take a look and see if I can pair the raw .fit/gpx from my tracks with the Hero. It's just a bummer if this is really how the unit works, because while the Garmin camera didn't do the video qutie as well, it did a fairly good and reasonably fuss-free job with telemetry.