05-28-2019 07:33 AM
I recently purchased a Hero 7 Black and had an issue with it turning off while in video loop mode. I was kayaking and have an external power bank. I was controlling it with the Gopro remote. I had it set at 20 mins. After the 20 minutes timed out I would notice the remote was not conected to the camera. It would show the wifi signal. I would have to manually power on the camera. This kept happening through the day. I wouild appreciate any help.
05-31-2019 10:35 AM
Sorry to hear about the trouble. Typically, this connection issue can be resolved by resetting the connections on all devices. I do have some suggestions that may help.
- Turn off the Smart Remote and your camera.
- Reset the Smart Remote by pressing and holding the Power/Mode button on the remote for about 8 to 10 seconds. Leave the remote powered OFF for the meantime.
- Reset the Wi-Fi connections on your camera using the steps here.
- Pair the devices:
- Power off your remote. Power ON your camera and set it up for pairing using the instructions here.
- Now set your camera aside and pick up the remote.
- With the remote powered OFF, press and hold the red Shutter button on the remote. While continuing to hold the red button, press the white Power button once briefly. The remote will power on and show two arrows moving towards each other. You can let go of the red button at this time. Now the remote is in pairing mode.
- At this point, the camera and remote should both show arrows moving towards each other. After one minute or less, the camera and remote should pair.
- The remote should now mirror the camera's front LCD screen, indicating that pairing was successful.
If the connection drops at a certain range, it can be because either the camera's Wi-Fi is getting blocked or it is eventually dropping. Have you tested this while in an open field, no visible Wi-Fi signal obstructions (e.g. concrete/brick wall, ceramic, water, metal, and mirrors) between the camera and the remote?
If there are no obstacles that can possibly cause the connection issue, you can try re-flashing the camera's firmware to help correct any errors with the current software installation. Follow the manual update instructions specified on this article: Software Update Instructions for HERO7 Cameras
Hopefully this helps.