Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black Over Heating :-(

Agree 1000% 

GoPro this is crap.  I paid big bucks for a Hero7 Black and now with 1.8 it overheats in an ice rink!!!  I lose footage every game recording at 1080P/60.  I have bought 2 new SD cards, downgraded firmware, upgraded firmware, formated cards, reset the camera.  Everything was fine (well sort of, I never got decent battery life from it) until your silly software team screwed up the camera. 

So what do we all do with the brick we have now????  Seriuously are you going to refund my money as you now have given me a camera that in no way meets the claims you make for it (hell it never met the claims for battery life)????

Folks we should absolutely look into class action lawsuit.  I would guess this is millions of dollars of junk we all own and they keep telling us it is our fault as the "recommended" SD card that work everywhere else simply does not work in the camera.

Designing these fixed funciton electronic is pretty straigtht forward thermally (no simple but straight forward).  You have a heat budget that the device can disspate... You have to always operate below this amount of power usage (or at least always avarge below it).  The ambient temp affects the heat dissipation but given that my camera is mount in an ice rink I think I am well within the designed operating environment.

Come on GoPro do the honest thing, admit there is a big issue and either really fix it or recall all the cameras.  A brand new recommended SD card recoridng at 1080P/60 should in no way make a camera overheart in 35 minutes in an ice rink (no power connected, GPS off, wifi off, low light off, pro tune off, voice commands of, LCD off, like seriously I was trying everything).

G

Hiker

@jaydenlawson wrote:

Overheating is a common problem for high res, high frame rate cameras. Every use you mentioned (surfing, car racing, biking) will provide physical cooling of the camera, so I also am sure they are recording 4k videos for more than 15 minutes with no issue.

More BULLCRAP

The Hero7 black overheats at all resolutions and all weather conditions.   Same with the freezing, lagging and stuttering.

Then there's the battery drain when it's OFF.

I was shooting yesterday in 10C on a bridge crossing  with a heavy cool wind blowing off freezing cold water of the Pacific ocean at 1080p and 2.7K and it overheated and froze up 3 times (Distance of 3 blocks).

Tourist

I record in an ice rink at 1080P/60 and in 35 min the camera overheats (with basically every option turned off).  This IS the camera.  Terrible prodiuct and worse support. Needs to be recalled.+

Tourist

@gstahl wrote:

Agree 1000% 

GoPro this is crap.  I paid big bucks for a Hero7 Black and now with 1.8 it overheats in an ice rink!!!  I lose footage every game recording at 1080P/60.  I have bought 2 new SD cards, downgraded firmware, upgraded firmware, formated cards, reset the camera.  Everything was fine (well sort of, I never got decent battery life from it) until your silly software team screwed up the camera. 

So what do we all do with the brick we have now????  Seriuously are you going to refund my money as you now have given me a camera that in no way meets the claims you make for it (hell it never met the claims for battery life)????

Folks we should absolutely look into class action lawsuit.  I would guess this is millions of dollars of junk we all own and they keep telling us it is our fault as the "recommended" SD card that work everywhere else simply does not work in the camera.

Designing these fixed funciton electronic is pretty straigtht forward thermally (no simple but straight forward).  You have a heat budget that the device can disspate... You have to always operate below this amount of power usage (or at least always avarge below it).  The ambient temp affects the heat dissipation but given that my camera is mount in an ice rink I think I am well within the designed operating environment.

Come on GoPro do the honest thing, admit there is a big issue and either really fix it or recall all the cameras.  A brand new recommended SD card recoridng at 1080P/60 should in no way make a camera overheart in 35 minutes in an ice rink (no power connected, GPS off, wifi off, low light off, pro tune off, voice commands of, LCD off, like seriously I was trying everything).

G

Starting a test right now in a 22 degree celcius room. HERO7 Black with version 1.8, 1080p at 60fps.

Hiker

@gstahl wrote:

" Needs to be recalled.+"

That's the reason GoPro won't acknowldge the design issues with the camera, instead blaming the weather and imaginary counterfeit SD cards (Many of which they shipped with the cameras).

The best bet for getting some of your money back is exchanging the camera and selling the one they send  you on Craiglist

Don't expect big Youtubers to expose this problem, they built their channels on the GoPro brand, so they just edit and reshoot their footage and pretend like nothing happens.

Tourist

Red cinema cameras do have heating issues. They also have huge, modular, heat sinks, clear warnings, and long term recording would be prohibitively expensive storage wise even if you could manage the thermals.

Plus nobody is going to use one as a dashcam whole people have done so with prior GoPros which did not have these issies. Nowhere is it stated that the cameras must me used only outdoors with constant airflow over them.

I was using one in a Jeep with the air conditioning pointed straight at it and it was still overheating. Underneath a Jeep doing 70, ditto, until the temperature hit ~50f. The problem is the HEVC encoder specifically generates way too much heat and that's a design issue that is probably not fixable in software. the camera needs a recall.
Tourist

Re: class action, or any lawsuit. Make sure you opt out of GoPro's binding arbitration. You must email support to do this. Read the TOS.
Tourist

@adeptwater21433 wrote:

Plus nobody is going to use one as a dashcam whole people have done so with prior GoPros which did not have these issies. Nowhere is it stated that the cameras must me used only outdoors with constant airflow over them.

I was using one in a Jeep with the air conditioning pointed straight at it and it was still overheating. Underneath a Jeep doing 70, ditto, until the temperature hit ~50f. The problem is the HEVC encoder specifically generates way too much heat and that's a design issue that is probably not fixable in software. the camera needs a recall.

My iPhone X overheats and slows right down to a point where it's almost unusable when in an air-conditioned car when it sits in direct sunlight.  To solve the issue, I take it out of direct sunlight, and let it cool in front of an air-con vent.  Very similar issue and I don't see many people complaining about it. It's just a function of cramming high-performing technology in a small space, solved by using basic logic.

You have two options: whinge about it, or use basic logic and solve the issue yourself.  I'm currently in the middle of running a test on a GoPro HERO7 Black, 22 degrees celcius, 1080p, 60fps, camera software version 1.8, as it was mentioned above that this setting cannot even be used in an ice-rink to shoot footage for longer than 35 minutes. I'm at the 36 minute mark right now with no issue. Will let it run for at least an hour and will upload the video and will post it here with the settings used.