Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black Over Heating :-(

I already know the problem is not SD card related since it's happened with multiple officially supported and cards. Also, it doesn't pass technical muster. If the write speed wasn't fast enough, it simply wouldn't be able to write. It wouldn't overheat as a result.

Also, were it the SD card at fault, the problem wouldn't improve with air flow and temperature reduction (at the cost of camera protection), as it does currently. It's a design flaw and RN I am stuck with a defective camera I can't return or get a refund for.

It's not reasonable for a video camera to overheat. Only you are spouting this absurdity. I don't care the resolution. If it can't dissipate enough heat at maximum quality, it shouldn't be advertised as being capable of it. My phone records 4k without overheating. 4k hevc recording is not that rare anymore. Stop acting like it's something magic. It's not even 10 bit HDR.
Hiker

[ Edited ]

@adeptwater21433 wrote:

"Also, were it the SD card at fault, the problem wouldn't improve with air flow and temperature reduction (at the cost of camera protection), as it does currently. It's a design flaw and RN I am stuck with a defective camera I can't return or get a refund for."

The fact that are telling people to run an action camera without the advertised features like GPS, Wifi and it's own battery
is admitted there's a problem with the camera.

A lot of times when I'm filming with a pistol grip I have the battery out, the GPS off, the wifi/bluetooth off and it's totally powered by a small battery pack I bought taped to the grip.  It still **bleep**s it's pants overheating, freezing, stuttering and lagging.

Most videos I make are made up of short clips I put together because filming for more then 15 minutes at 2.7K and sometimes even 1080p is impossibe. A lot of times lately the footage is riddles with glitches., some of them big flashed of purple covering half the screen.

They know their camera is broken out of the box, that's why they spend so much time blaming SD cards.  Many of the complaints
are people using SD cards GoPro sold them.

Daniel, the local shill/Possible GoPro employee with 10,000+ posts blaming the custumers even tries to accuse people of buying counterfeit SD cards.  lol

Hiker

Since I bought my Sandisk Extreme 128 GB MicroSD card from Amazon, I wasn't sure if I had the real thing or a knock off. I ran h2testw to test its write and read speed through my computer SD card slot. I get 62 MB/s for write and 75 MB/s for read. According to the GoPro specs, I only need a maximum of 9.75 MB/s (78 Mb/s / 8 bits/Byte) write speed so at 62 MB/s, I'm way above the write speed. Even I double it to 20 MB/s to be safe, still way over. 

Just so that "may be it's your SD card" stuff is put to rest, if your computer have such a SD slot, if you haven't done so already, may be you could test your SD cards speed and see if their rating is as good as they say they are.

Just a suggestion, I'm new here so I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

Hiker

@sylvaing wrote:

"Just so that "may be it's your SD card" stuff is put to rest, if your computer have such a SD slot, if you haven't done so already, may be you could test your SD cards speed and see if their rating is as good as they say they are."

The SD card stuff is just an excuse to steer the blame away from the defective camera's GoPro is selling.

Even people using cards sold with cameras by GoPro themselves are having the same problem.

Translation: It's BULL**bleep**.

Tourist

Exactly my point.... I was recording 1080p videos using my other camera's the only reason I purchased and upgraded myself was because of the 4k 60fps option. it is a shame that GoPro came up with a product like this and does not accept its the product that is faulty and refund the customers 

Tourist

Overheating is a common problem for high res, high frame rate cameras. Every use you mentioned (surfing, car racing, biking) will provide physical cooling of the camera, so I also am sure they are recording 4k videos for more than 15 minutes with no issue.

All you need to do is to work out how to keep the camera cool, which is up to you. The camera works perfectly, just not perfectly in all situations. For example - any camera recording at 4k/60fps will struggle when attempting to film next to a volcano.  And most cameras will have no issue filming in a cool environment.  

I've also had this issue, and overcome it with using shade and fans.  Easy fixes if you are proactive and really want the result.

@djravee wrote:

Hey guys i just purchased a Hero 7 Black used it once only to record 4k Video at 60 fps (The whole idea of me to purchase the camera) the gopro heats up like crazy. I just recorded a 15 minute video, apprantely i returned it to the store where i purchased it from and they sent it to gorpo for testing and they agree it normal for the camera to heat up and it is not meant to record 4k videos for more than 20 minutes max. They also advised me to shoot videos at 1080p (hahahaha) I already have a Hero 3 Silver for that, the whole idea of me to purchase the Hero 7 Black is to record videos on 4k at 60fps. The way you have promoted the product with people using the camera for surfing, car race's, biking i am sure they are recroding 4k videos for more than 15 minutes.

really disaapointed when you purchase something so expensive and it does not perform as advertised.

I even purchased a Sandisk extreme memory card. 

Please refund me my money.

Tourist

It's just the camera itself but GoPro is no ready to accept it. I have used multiple SD Cards with it and have the same issues. if i had to record 1080p I would use any of my old camera's. Why would I use a GoPro Hero 7 Black for making 1080p Videos

Tourist

[ Edited ]

@djravee wrote:

It's just the camera itself but GoPro is no ready to accept it. I have used multiple SD Cards with it and have the same issues. if i had to record 1080p I would use any of my old camera's. Why would I use a GoPro Hero 7 Black for making 1080p Videos

It's not the camera, proved my reply above. It's an easy fix, if you really want to fix it.  Oh and by the way - even Red Digital Cinemas that sell for tens of thousands of dollars, have overheating issues at high res, high frame rate in environments that do not naturally provide cooling.  So the issue is probably not the camera, but how it is being used.