Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 Black Over Heating :-(

[ Edited ]

Do yourself a favor and don't listen to the garbage some people will spew on here blaming YOU and the SD card for the problem.

It's the GoPro and exchanging it won't solve the problem. the new one will do the same thing shortly.

It doesn't matter if you bought the top performing SD card on the GoPro list,  it's not the card.

My Hero7 black is 2 months old and no longer records anything longer then 16 seconds in any resolution.

GoPro is selling a defective product and the big Youtubers aren't talking about it because their channels are too heavily invested in the brand so they just work around the overheating, freezing and lost footage.  

They just carfully edit their footage to hide the missing parts where the camera froze, stuttered to added weird glitches.

Tourist

Daniel, it's irrelevant that the previous camera couldn't record at such a high quality. This one is advertised to, yet is not capable of delivering it. Do you work for GoPro or do they just compensate you for posting here?

Yes, more is demanded of the camera but years have advanced, and the encoding is offloaded onto dedicated hardware. If too much heat is generated by the hevc encoder, they need a better process, not to blame it on a SD card that has nothing to do with it. Iaa embedded systems developer.
Hiker

[ Edited ]

@adeptwater21433 wrote:
"Daniel, it's irrelevant that the previous camera couldn't record at such a high quality. This one is advertised to, yet is not capable of delivering it. Do you work for GoPro or do they just compensate you for posting here?"

Daniel is a shill and or a GoPro employee.   One of his recent replies even used the EXACT greetings you get from GoPro support

when they reply.  One of those kind of slip ups Employees tend to make when they forget which account they are logged into.

He's literally got 10,000+ posts blaming anything and everything on the customer and never once blames the GoPro.

Hiker

[ Edited ]

@roccopirr wrote:

"These cameras were designed to be used in high impact and high motion environments if you find that you are using the camera in a stationary position then it cannot use any wind flow to dissipate the heat unlike a scenario where it’s on a motorcycle pushbike or a skier is holding it and the wind is rushing past in assisting to dissipate heat."

Yesterday I shot footage in 2.7K walking very quickly on a very cool day along a windy bridge over the Pacific ocean (Water you freeze to death in minutes) in Canada.

The bridge is 3 blocks long and the camera nearly set on fire 3 times during that time forcing me to pull the battery and wait for it to cool.  

It's not the weather, it's the GOPRO.

Tourist

The camera has heat dissipation issues. IDRC if it records fine in 1080p. If I wanted a 1080p camera I would use my SLR. I bought a camera, at a premium, that was advertised as being capable of 4k60. It can't do it, at least not at any significant length It's false advertising and the product needs a recall. Anybody who bought one should be upgraded to the 8, assuming it doesn't have the same issues. Otherwise, a refund is a reasonable demand.
Hiker

Re: Update...

@mariustanya wrote:

We appreciate the update, @higuma. Results are looking good! Thank you for sharing. Removing the battery while recording is recommended to provide more space for the camera to dissipate heat. It is also important that the setup uses the GoPro-provided cable and a recommended charger/power source (output of 5V, 1-2A). Feel free to post back for any more inputs/results or concerns. Best regards!

You are basically admitting that your camera does not work as advertised.

Hiker

@aragon1006 wrote:

Hi @skodax

o control your camera remotely at higher temperatures, use the GoPro remote instead of the GoPro App.

Thanks!

Ej

Care to explain how my Hero7 Black overheats within seconds recording at 2.7K with GPS OFF.  Connections OFF

running on a power pack on a windy bridge over the Pacific ocean (Freeze to death temps) in 11C weather walking at a brisk pace?

Please enlighten me.

Explorer

Not an employee and not a "shill", but keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better. Not compensated either, but I have made many friends world wide and have learned a lot by participating here.

I agree that it's irrelevant what the previous cameras could or couldn't do. I was responding to the comment that stated this didn't happen with previous cameras.

I've owned the HERO7 Black since it came out and use it about 3-4 times a week. If your camera can't record, in any resolution, for more than 16 seconds, contact GoPro Support, that is not normal behavior.

I've got a lot of post, sure, but I've also been a member of this community, member to member, site since the HERO3+ came out.

SD cards do matter, and just like all tech, no two are exactly alike or perform the same. However, not all issues are SD card or firmware related. And so for these issues, contacting GoPro Support is best. Otherwise, you can continue to circle jerk here and bitch at me, but it's not taking you any closer to a resolution. This is a member to member support community, not GoPro's Support Team.

I've merely pointed out what it says in the manual, as well as what is and is not generally considered normal performance for a high resolution camera. The advertising and packaging also says nothing about running the camera on external power, but apparently just because it can, you also feel that it should do so up to your expectations.

Not all of these post are the same, so I'm certainly not trying to generalize everyone's issue as being the same, or from the same source. For individualized support, again, you should contact GoPro Support. Demands for recalls and the other nonsense conspiracy theories are ridiculous. Far more people are very happy and getting great use from their GoPro camera than not. Contact GoPro and I'm sure they will be happy to help you out. However, you also need to come to the realization that certain aspects of this camera just won't work for what you want to do (extended high resolution recording with external power, for example).