Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Adventurer

Re: Hero 7 Black Over Heating :-(

[ New ]

Does not heat expand things and allowingt ocool helps  to remove? 

Tourist

[ New ]

Lithium batteries that get too hot do shrink some when they cool off over time, but they can hold some swell permanently.  This is very common.

Tourist

[ New ]
I'm still in my return window so I'll probably return it and try the hero 8. If it doesn't do any better, I'll return it and choose a different company.
Hiker

[ New ]

@bull-07 wrote:
I'm still in my return window so I'll probably return it and try the hero 8. If it doesn't do any better, I'll return it and choose a different company.

Maybe wait for actual honest reviews before even thinking about it.

All the big Youtuber's who's channels are heavily invested in the GoPro brand are full crap and won't talk honestly about the issues.

If you need to use an external microphone now or in the future, the 8 requires you do remove the battery and SD cover to do so

exposing the battery, SD card and internals of the camera to the elements.    If you crack the lens cover, you have to return the camera

to get it replaced.     That's just 2 of the issues with the 8.    It also has the same heat issues.

Hiker

[ New ]

@bull-07 wrote:

A more honest review of the 8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Yzz9EKg80

This is my review of the GoPro HERO 8 Black! Lots of cool new features, but plenty of cons and negatives - is it still worth buying?! I test the new HyperSmo...
Tourist

[ New ]

My Hero7 Black gets HOT. 

I did a test run inside my house which was at about 72 degreesF.

I set the camera on a tripod aimed at my 70" TV and let it record while I watched a movie.

I stopped the recording after about 1 hour.

My camera records at 1080/60 Linear mode

Everything is off...wifi, gps voice control

Since it wasn't moving, stabilization was not needed.

No wonder it shuts down in the sun

BTW, this is the THIRTD replacement H7 GP has sent me.

Sad. Very very sad.

A $300 POS that is 100% unreliable so it sits at home while I continue to use my perfectly functioning Hero3 Black

HOT.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

JB075, thanks for sharing that video.

Wow,  looking at the 8 and what I use the GoPro for, moving to the 8 would be an absolute horrible idea.

Now I need to try to find another action camera that can be used outside in the summer, or pick up a used Hero 5 for those days.  Shame that I have to buy an older version because the new version isn't meant to be out in the sun.  

Hiker

[ New ]

@bull-07 wrote:

I have to buy an older version because the new version isn't meant to be out in the sun.  

Doesn't matter if it's hot or cold, the Hero7 overheats at 2.7K 30/60 and 4K  30/60

I'm in Canada and used it on a bridge over the Pacific ocean with a cold wind blowing like crazy

and it overheated and froze up 3 times walking the length of the bridge which was roughly 2.5-3 blocks shooting at 2.7K/30

Then there's the lag and battery drain when it's OFF.

It's defective out of the box and should have been recalled. that's why GoPro and the shills on here always blame SD cards

they refuse to admit it's garbage.

GoPro's stock is around $3.40 from a high of $95.   They'll either go out of business or get bought up in a few years.