Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: Hero 7 Black Over Heating :-(

153 degrees I got happy. the camera works as expected..

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

I don't expect the camera to work at 150 degrees, other than for short bursts. That's abusing it. However the camera does overheat reliably at 4k60 at room temperature. 4k24 full frame, 1080p240... pretty much any of the HEVC modes will make it overheat, even in cold enviornments. The camera is defective by design. Would it not cost me more than the camera itself. I've already opted out of arbitration. I recommend anybody who cares enough and reads this opt out as soon as they can. You have 30 days after first use of GoPro's service to do so. 

Highlighted
Tourist

@jb075 wrote:

GoPro's stock is around $3.40 from a high of $95.   They'll either go out of business or get bought up in a few years.

I expect they will if they continue to release defective products and pretend they have no problems. There would be no problem if they would just say "*recording duration at maximum quality may be limited by thermal conditions" on their marketing, but they don't. It's dishonest that they continue to blame the SD cards. Slow SD cards might cause the sd card to work more and the sd card might, in theory, heat up more, but the SD card is not where the heat is coming from. The SD card is at the back and hardly gets warm. The SOC is where the heat is coming from an GoPro needs a better process. They desperately need new fabrication. Apple, Samsung, Intel, Nvidia all struggle with this. None of them blame the SD card except GoPro knows it's customers are mostly artists and they can get away with lying about techincal issues.

Highlighted
Tourist

@berndm wrote:

My Hero7 Black gets HOT. 

I did a test run inside my house which was at about 72 degreesF.

I set the camera on a tripod aimed at my 70" TV and let it record while I watched a movie.

I stopped the recording after about 1 hour.

My camera records at 1080/60 Linear mode

Everything is off...wifi, gps voice control

Since it wasn't moving, stabilization was not needed.

No wonder it shuts down in the sun

BTW, this is the THIRTD replacement H7 GP has sent me.

Sad. Very very sad.

A $300 POS that is 100% unreliable so it sits at home while I continue to use my perfectly functioning Hero3 Black

Try it at 4k60 and you'll hit that temperature in a fraction of the time.

Highlighted
Hiker

@jb075 wrote:

@bull-07 wrote:

I have to buy an older version because the new version isn't meant to be out in the sun.  

Doesn't matter if it's hot or cold, the Hero7 overheats at 2.7K 30/60 and 4K  30/60

I'm in Canada and used it on a bridge over the Pacific ocean with a cold wind blowing like crazy

and it overheated and froze up 3 times walking the length of the bridge which was roughly 2.5-3 blocks shooting at 2.7K/30

Then there's the lag and battery drain when it's OFF.

It's defective out of the box and should have been recalled. that's why GoPro and the shills on here always blame SD cards

they refuse to admit it's garbage.

GoPro's stock is around $3.40 from a high of $95.   They'll either go out of business or get bought up in a few years.

I disagree with you. I've had my GoPro 7 Black mounted on my bicycle since Sept 30th and I've hit temperature ranging from 2C to low 20s Celcius. I record at 4K/30 (basically because my computer can't play 4K/60 but I did one day record and that frame rate) with Hypersmooth, GPS and Wifi turned on. Never had my GoPro shut down because of overheating while cycling. Longest ride since then was a 57 KM ride where I swapped the batterie once. Recorded the whole ride at 15C at start and 7C when my ride ended.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

That's consistent with my experiences. Below 15C it's more or less stable at all recording qualities with adequate airflow. However 15C is cold and 7C is even colder. Room temperature is too hot for full quality. Summer (in most places) is too hot for full quality. That's not what most people expect when they buy a camera. Sure you can record at full quality indefinately, but only when it's cold AND there's adequate airflow. The waterproof case? Straight out, even in the cold and even with adequate flow around the device. Inside a car? Straight out as well. Inside your home? Nopes. That should be on the box. People should know when buyin the camera and looking at the resolution chart GoPro provides that there are significant caveats to recording at full quality (any HEVC mode in my testing).

Highlighted
Tourist

****SOLUTION****
After having overheating issues every since purchasing my Hero 7 Black I have finally found the solution.

Just a quick explanation of my issue.  I never had any issues recording at 4K 60FPS on battery for long periods.  I only had the issue when I needed to record for longer than what the battery would last and I had the charging cable connected.  At best I would get an hour out of it before it shut down due to overheating.

I had searched the forums with no results and had GoPro replace the cameras with no results.  Then the Hero 8 came out and it will not allow you to use the camera while charging.  You have to take the battery out.

It suddenly hit me.  If this is the case with the Hero 8 then could this be the case with the Hero 7.  So testing began and success.  The camera ran for 7H:28 Min which was when the SD Card was full.  Tested again today and Success.

Problem Solved!  Hope this helps others out.