Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black Over Heating :-(

[ Edited ]

Yes I get your point about them doing better. I hope the HERO8 is better, or whatever it's called. My point is that it must be a very hard thing to do - to make a waterproof, shock-proof, rugged, small action camera, and also get it to shoot 4k at 60fps.

I've done some searching on a lot of the competitors - and they all have the issue.  Here are my tests:

• 1080p 60fps, all connectivity on, GPS on, voice control on, in shade with slight breeze, 22 degrees celcius as shown in video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NwUx7DwB2Y
    Result: ran out of battery after 1 hour 16 minutes, and it wasn't fully charged.

• 4k 60fps, all connectivity off, GSP off, voice control off, HEVC mode chosen, in shade with slight breeze, 19 degrees celcius as shown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc2twwGv8zc
    Eventually overheats after 53 minute mark, but only had 3% battery life remaining.  YouTube is not showing the 4K version yet but I assume it will process it within a day or so.

Both are with a SanDisk Extreme 64GB U3 XC I V30.

I'm more than happy with that performance.  As it's an action camera - I'm not usually requiring it to shoot video for longer than 10 minutes.  Usually less than five.  If I did need something that shoots 4K 60fps in the heat I'd get something that doen't require its internals to be fully waterproof, therefore allowing for ventilation and less of a chance of overheating.   Anyhow - I've spent enough time on this now, and will leave this as my final reply.  All the best!

It didn't overheat after about 1 hour 16 minutes. Settings shown at the end, with basically all the additional settings turn on.
Everything turned off, GPS, voice, phone connectivity. Temperature was about 19 degrees celcius. Memory card is a SanDisk Extreme 64GB U3 XC I V30.
Highlighted
Tourist

It is a hard thing to do. I get that. I sympathize with the engineers. However, if they can't get it stable at 4k60, it shouldn't be advertised as capable of it, or it should be clearly indicated that HEVC modes are only possible with silly levels of cooling (outside the vehicle, rather than inside, *and* below 15c).

You don't need it to record 4k60 for more than an hour. Great. I do. It doesn't matter to me if other camera manufacturers have similar flaws. The previous GoPro didn't when recording at the highest setting.

What if I want to continue recording after an hour using another battery (I bought 3, expecting to be able to use them in the protective case) or using a USB C power pack? Lots of things last more than an hour. Car trips, sports games, bike rides, plane flights, etc.

What you're saying is that because you have no use for these recording lengths, nobody else should complain when the product doesn't perform as advertised because you are personally satisfied with how and when it fails.

I like the GoPro otherwise. The quality of the video sis excellent. Their compressor is great. The metadata format is brilliant and we'll documented. The camera also has thermal issues that should never have passed QC. It was an oversight, an expensive one, but IMO it's better to bite the bullet and recall for those customers who need it rather than suffer the reputational damage from these sorts of unexpected disappointments.
Highlighted
Hiker

I might try it on a shorter ride of if tethered to a battery pack but because of the lenght of my commute, I don't think the battery would last the whole ride so I'm "limiteed" to 4K30.

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

So I tried a 4K60 today on my ride home with stabilisation turned on. Turned off GPS and Wifi just to give it a bit more juice to the video. Was able to make the whole commute (50m32s) with 9% battery left. Once home, I took the GoPro's temperature using my infrared thermometer and it read 23.7C at the highest. Today was 11C out. So far no issue and behaved like I expected.

Highlighted
Tourist

11c is very cold (at least to me). I was having the issues at anywhere above 15c and while plugged in. This means the GoPro couldn't be mounted inside the vehicle or inside the official GoPro waterproof case without overheating.

It's nice it works in certain conditions, but I feel it should be clearly stated on the advertising what those conditions are, and it's not. As I stated above, there are many situations (sports games, for example) where the camera is just not suited to record at it's full quality while previous iterations could.

In other news, I attempted to opt out of arbitration with support. They didn't seem to know what to do and said they would get back to me by email. That hasn't happened yet. I recommend anybody who has bought the camera and had these issues read the GoPro terms of service and opt out as soon as possible. It must be done within the first 30 days of the first use of the "service". Opting out of arbitration leaves you with more options if support doesn't adequately fix your camera.
Highlighted
Tourist

Specifically this section is the one people with this issue should be most interested in:

Dispute Resolution.  PLEASE READ THIS SECTION CAREFULLY - IT MAY SIGNIFICANTLY AFFECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS, INCLUDING YOUR RIGHT TO FILE A LAWSUIT IN COURT.

https://gopro.com/en/us/legal/terms#dispute
Highlighted
Tourist

Had a baseball game yesterday and since the son was the only one to have a game I had both cameras with me. Temp was 95 degrees and lots of sun. The hero 5 lasted the entire time and the hero 7 with the battery out lasted 1 hour. I was only recording in 1080p. I'm wondering if maybe I should just find another hero 5 and return the hero 7. I saw a review that the hero 8 gets very hot recording just didn't state the circumstance.
Highlighted
Tourist

My brand new Hero 7 Black does the same thing.  It get so hot that it is scary.  It actually get so hot that one cannot remove the batteries because the swell, and it causes the tabs to break.  I have six brand new batteries, and each time I tried to remove them, they were stuck so badly that the tabs pulled off and broke off on 4 of them, and on one, the plastic top of the battery pulled off.  I had to use a sharp-hook extraction tool to get the batteries out. This happened on my first outing, and I did not have an extraction tool, and I had to return to the office to try to get the battery out.  The space is too tight to use a pocket knife, so I had to go to Harbor Freight and buy a micro hook think with a sharp point, sort of like dentists use.  The batteries don't stick in the charger.  They only stick in the camera. The heat causes the plastic tabs to get weak.  I thought about dipping the camera in the water to cool it off, but I fear the result.  Plus, whoever heard of a camera that has batteries that get so hot that they cannot be removed.  I used a precision caliper, and it appears that the battery sticks at the cap on the bottom of the battery.  Five of six of my batteries did this on first videos, and I noticed that the bottom caps were slightly shifted on the five that failed.  Maybe GoPro will come out with somehting.  I chatted with them yesterday, and they seem to want to cooperate.  One remedy on youtube is to strap tape to the sides, but when I tried that, it was too tight to insert, so I did not do it. Maybe it is a bad batch of batteries, but is sure is a pain to have spent what I have spent on this camera only to have this happen. I feel that Gopro is going to work with me, but meanwhile I am very disappointed in this camera battery system.  I do like the camera though, if it would not get so hot. .