Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black Over Heating :-(

[ Edited ]

@adeptwater21433 wrote:

@jaydenlawson wrote:

What is the advertised limits that you speak of?  4k 60fps for how long and in what conditions?  Because no camera can perform in all conditions, there has to be a reasonable standard to expect.  So, what is that standard that is advertised, and can you show it?

I am testing to make it fail. I've just done exactly what was asked. 4k, 60fps, HEVC on. It's about 19 degrees so it's not a hot day, but still - it's far from cold.

You just said "it just recorded a 1 hour 15 minute video at 1080p, 60fps with wifi on" . Not 4k. What again was the test run at? That's a quarter of the data to encode.

That test was run because when I read the OP's first post I thought, hmmm I've never had issues like that.  And then they said this:

@gstahl wrote:

GoPro this is crap.  I paid big bucks for a Hero7 Black and now with 1.8 it overheats in an ice rink!!!  I lose footage every game recording at 1080P/60.  I have bought 2 new SD cards, downgraded firmware, upgraded firmware, formated cards, reset the camera.  Everything was fine (well sort of, I never got decent battery life from it) until your silly software team screwed up the camera. 

So what do we all do with the brick we have now????  Seriuously are you going to refund my money as you now have given me a camera that in no way meets the claims you make for it (hell it never met the claims for battery life)????

I would guess this is millions of dollars of junk we all own and they keep telling us it is our fault as the "recommended" SD card that work everywhere else simply does not work in the camera.

Designing these fixed funciton electronic is pretty straigtht forward thermally (no simple but straight forward).  You have a heat budget that the device can disspate... You have to always operate below this amount of power usage (or at least always avarge below it).  The ambient temp affects the heat dissipation but given that my camera is mount in an ice rink I think I am well within the designed operating environment.

Come on GoPro do the honest thing, admit there is a big issue and either really fix it or recall all the cameras.  A brand new recommended SD card recoridng at 1080P/60 should in no way make a camera overheart in 35 minutes in an ice rink (no power connected, GPS off, wifi off, low light off, pro tune off, voice commands of, LCD off, like seriously I was trying everything).

G

So I thought hmmm - maybe there's an issue with the 1.8 update, and did a test, as I haven't done a whole heap of filming with firmware version 1.8.  And - it ran for 1 hour 15 until the (not fully charged to begin with) battery died, with all wireless connections on, voice control on, GPS on, in a room that was not air conditioned, with a temperature of between 21 and 23 degrees celcius. 

So then I was asked to do a 4K 60fps test with HEVC on, which I did, and it did overheat, after over 53 minutes and the room temp had dropped to 19 degrees c.  That was a great result in my mind, and there was 3% battery left at the end.

This is a fully waterproof action camera. To be fully sealed means there will always be challenges dissipating heat. You can't have it both ways!!! 

It's not a non-waterproof camera with internal fans and external heat shielding, made to shoot for hours on end in direct sunlight.  If you didn't need an action camera for short clips of action - then yeah - sounds like you bought the wrong camera.  But if you do want a waterproof action camera, then I still think it's the best option on the market.

Highlighted
Sightseer

My GP 3 Black worked well for 2-3 years. Then it died because it started to turn of constantly, even when it was shut off. Result: Battery dies.

Bought a GP 5 Black - I have brought home 2-3 minutes of footage from 2 vacation this summer: Battery dies VERY fast.

Now I have just unpacked my latest (and last!) Go-pro 7 black: It gets very hot instantly, and battery is burning down like icecream in a hot summer. Nothing about long recordings or being in a hot place. It is happening right here on my desk.

I won't go there again.

Highlighted
GoPro

HI @loyaltree54267

If you haven't yet, please have your camera updated manually. https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero7-black

It is also important that you are using a recommended SD card.

Let us know how it goes.
You may also reach out to our Support Team for assistance through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs    

Thanks!
Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

@aragon1006 wrote:

HI @loyaltree54267

If you haven't yet, please have your camera updated manually. https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero7-black

It is also important that you are using a recommended SD card.

Let us know how it goes.
You may also reach out to our Support Team for assistance through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs    

Thanks!
Ej

I did update the camera to 1.8. It was the first thing the app did when I got it. I am using a supported SD card. I've tried multiple. Your camera still overheats recording at maximum quality. Even Mr. Tester who defends you above can replicated it. This is the only camera that overheats out of your line of cameras. The camera is the problem, not the SD card, please stop pushing this line of bull and recall your defective cameras. It's insulting. I'd also like to opt out of arbitration before 30 days is up. The TOS says to contact support and you're close enough, so look at my email and opt me out please.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

@jaydenlawson wrote:

This is a fully waterproof action camera. To be fully sealed means there will always be challenges dissipating heat. You can't have it both ways!!! 

Previous models were waterproof and could yet record at full quality for an extended period of time, so yes, apparently you can. I realize it's not easy to design a product like this and indeed companies like samsung and apple have run into similar hurdles waterproofing their phones (samsung's caught fire), but the problems were eventually resolved, after those companies did the right thing and recalled their defective products. Please don't act like it's impossible. It's not.

Highlighted
Hiker

So I did my first commute today with the GoPro Hero 7 Black attached to my handlebar. Recorded at 4K30 with GPS On, Wifi On, Voice activation On (but not to to wake it up) and ProTune off. Ride lasted 50m16s in the morning and 56m26s in the afternoon. Both times included stop time. Temperature in the morning was 6C and 15C in the afternoon. Battery was at 15% in the morning when I got to work and the GoPro was cold to the touch. In the afternoon, battery was at 16% when I got home and using my infrared thermometer, the GoPro temperature ranged from 15C to 24C. So for me, it worked as I expected it to work and got great, clear videos. Much clearer than my previous Ion Air Pro 2.

Highlighted
Hiker

Looks like you can edit a post here. I forgot to say that HyperSmooth was turned on and FOV was Wide.
Highlighted
Tourist

Try it at 4k60. The problem for me is that it only happens with HEVC on. TFM:

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/hevc

Use 4k60 and it will absolutely overheat. As I said earlier in the thread, when HEVC is being used, too much heat is generated. Their hardware is not good enough to do what the marketing claims.

They need a better process (better power effeciency) for whatever hardware encoder they are using. I work with a dev board that has this same issue. You try to use HEVC, it draws too much power, the dev board crashes. It also makes a ton of heat. The manufacturer's solution is to use a better power supply and this is very very clearly documented.

GoPro shouldn't be advertising the camera as 4k60 h266 capable of it's not actually capable of doing that for any length of time. If I wanted a 1080p or 4k30 camera I would have gotten something else. I trusted the marketing I was foolish. Fwiw I can also make it overheat at 4k24 with HEVC and stabilization on.