Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black Over Heating :-(

Try it at 4k60 with HEVC on. Your test proves nothing only that the camera is sometimes stable at a crippled resolution, not the advertised maximum.
Highlighted
Tourist

Here's how I test. You try to make $THING *fail*, and if you can manage, there is a problem. Trying to make it *work* by running it half capacity, or less than a quarter in this case, is not a valid test. This camera shouldn't have passed QC.
Highlighted
Tourist

@adeptwater21433 wrote:
Try it at 4k60 with HEVC on. Your test proves nothing only that the camera is sometimes stable at a crippled resolution, not the advertised maximum.

My test proves that your claim was not what I experienced.  So it did prove something.

And sure, I'll run a test now with your request.  My SD card, by the way, is a SanDisk Extreme 64GB U3 version. It may be a factor, consiering the below points that someone else has written.

Here's something I found on the issue, for those interested in trying it:

Hi! I have this problem too, the camera really overheats a lot in 4K video recording. Gopro's technical support didn't help much, but I was able to improve 4K recording without stopping. Initially, my camera turned off after 28 minutes, and after my experiment the recording time increased to 1 hour 40 minutes! What you need:

1. Buy a fast memory card - microSDXC 128 Gb Sandisk Extreme UHS-I U3 V30 A2;
  2. turn off all additional modes: GPS, Wi-Fi, Stabilization, Voice control;
  3. Transfer to 4K recording mode and 30 frames, or 25 frames (if you record in PAL MODE)

Highlighted
Tourist

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Sure. If you encode less than half the data (30 or 24 fps vs 60) it will generate less heat. If that's the case then that should be the advertised maximum, not 4k60.

Again, you're not testing to make it fail, you're testing with a known good *limited* configuration which is significantly less than advertised. It's not in dispute it works this way. It's in dispute that it's stable at maximum quality. That should be on the box because it's important to the consumer and it's not.

You only go on a road trip the kind I drove last month maybe once or twice in a lifetime. Having half my footage be missing was disappointing at the least, especially when the **bleep** thing was mounted outside a car in freaking Canada. Cooling should not have been an issue but it was, and GoPro is 100% responsible for misrepresenting it's camera's capabilities.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

[nevermind - autocorrect fail]

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

What is the advertised limits that you speak of?  4k 60fps for how long and in what conditions?  Because no camera can perform in all conditions, there has to be a reasonable standard to expect.  So, what is that standard that is advertised, and can you show it?

I am testing to make it fail. I've just done exactly what was asked. 4k, 60fps, HEVC on. It's about 19 degrees so it's not a hot day, but still - it's far from cold.

What is the make and model of your SD card?  Maybe it was a factor?

By the way - I've had my share of GoPro issues over the years. From the Karma Drone to the Fusion camera, to even my HERO7 Black overheating.  But in every instance I've found a reasonable way around it by eliminating variables and trying different things.  For example - I had an extremely frustrating time with the Fusion not being able to record at max res for more than a few minutes.  After testing various things, I found that one of the two SanDisk SD cards had a faulty write speed. SanDisk has a 10 year card warranty, so they replaced it and now I can record for however long the battery will last.

@adeptwater21433 wrote:

Sure. If you encode less than half the data (30 or 24 fps vs 60) it will generate less heat. If that's the case then that should be the advertised maximum, not 4k60.

Again, you're not testing to make it fail, you're testing with a known good *limited* configuration which is significantly less than advertised. It's not in dispute it works this way. It's in dispute that it's stable at maximum quality. That should be on the box because it's important to the consumer and it's not.

You only go on a road trip the kind I drove last month maybe once or twice in a lifetime. Having half my footage be missing was disappointing at the least, especially when the **bleep** thing was mounted outside a car in freaking Canada. Cooling should not have been an issue but it was, and GoPro is 100% responsible for misrepresenting it's camera's capabilities.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

@jaydenlawson wrote:

What is the advertised limits that you speak of?  4k 60fps for how long and in what conditions?  Because no camera can perform in all conditions, there has to be a reasonable standard to expect.  So, what is that standard that is advertised, and can you show it?

I am testing to make it fail. I've just done exactly what was asked. 4k, 60fps, HEVC on. It's about 19 degrees so it's not a hot day, but still - it's far from cold.

You just said "it just recorded a 1 hour 15 minute video at 1080p, 60fps with wifi on" . Not 4k. What again was the test run at? That's a quarter of the data to encode. I can make mine reliably overheat recording at 4k60 with any number of SD cards from both Samsung (evo plus) and Sandisk (sandisk extreme plus) that work find in a more demanding drone (Mavik 2 Pro). The exact same cards, so no, it's not the cards. Another reason I know it's not the cards is because the farther I drove north, the more stable the camera became. The card has already been ruled out. It even overheats uploading to the cloud. The thing has thermal issues.  It was stable recording 4k60 in Alaska. It was stable in the Yukon. It was stable in northern BC. When I hit ~Vancouver on the way back, it started to crash again. It's not the freaking card.

~100MB/sec is maximum theoretical advertised write speed of these cards (MB/sec, *not* mbps). Realistically, it's more like 80 in my tests, but still, neither my drone nor the gopro's video bitrate go anywhere near that even at full quality. As to what's advertised, there is no recording time limit advertised, and no, I don't think it's reasonable to expect there to be a limit other than the SD card capacity when plugged in, especially since the previous models had none. Since there actually is a limit to the amount of time you can record due to abysmal thermals, I feel that should be clearly stated on the box with at least one of those asteriks. It's not. The only place you'll find such a warning are in the reviews.

Being an idiot, i didn't read any. Otherwise I wouldn't have chosen the particular defective camera. I would have gone with some other solution to record non stop video for 6+hr driving stretches. The camera is defective by design and the customers that relied on GoPro marketing to make their decision should at least be offered a refund. I don't feel it's unreasonable. The stated capabilities are not accurate, or come with such rediculous caveats the camera is unusable for any long term purposes outside of the reaches of the far north mounted on a vehicle exterior.