Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 Black Over Heating :-(

I don't use HVEC.  It still overheats even at 1080p/30

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

I live in Seattle. There is no such thing as direct sunlight much of the year. The issue is not environmental. It was overheating mounted on the "oh sh**" handles of the Jeep with the AC on high pointed straight at it. No direct sunlight whatsoever. It took 30 minutes before it died. It was plugged in but that's kind of necessary for long term recording since the GoPro battery only lasts and hour if you're very lucky.

It also overheated on battery inside the waterproof protective case GoPro sells. The way I see it, I have more than the options you present when dealing with a defective product. I don't really care about your limited settings where you were able to get it to work only if half the features were turned off.

I want to run the thing plugged in, with a battery inserted, gps on, HEVC on (because h264 sucks for 4k), wifi on, etc, and have it actually work because nowhere does it state it shouldn't be capable of that and everywhere it implies it should be. Prior versions could manage highest quality. This one overheats if you try.

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Imagine a car company selling cars that won't start or shut down in the middle of the road and they tell you to turn the radio and and conditioning off and keep the windows rolled up all the time so it won't do that.

That's exactly what GoPro and the useful idiots and shills are telling us.

You bought a camera that advertised:

- 4K/60

- GPS

- Wifi

- Stabilization.

- Battery.

They are telling us that we can't use those features we paid several hundred dollars for because the camera won't work properly if we do,.

Highlighted
Tourist

@jb075 wrote:

Imagine a car company selling cars that won't start or shut down in the middle of the road and they tell you to turn the radio and and conditioning off and keep the windows rolled up all the time so it won't do that.

Try this: Open Google, search for:

[insert other action camera name] overheating.

Tell me if there are any results.

What you will find is that this is a common problem with any camera.  I just completed a test and will be uploading it as soon as the videos have transferred to my computer. 

Highlighted
Hiker

Shill harder, bro

Maybe GoPro will gift you with a forum badge or something.

@jaydenlawson wrote:

@jb075 wrote:

Try this: Open Google, search for:

[insert other action camera name] overheating.

Tell me if there are any results.

What you will find is that this is a common problem with any camera.  I just completed a test and will be uploading it as soon as the videos have transferred to my computer. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Dude,

get over yourself, you have no idea about how to test products, because your test might pass does not mean there is no issue. I have run the same test 72 deg F mounted to a door, about 45 min until beep beep beep shutdown.  Changed, SD card for a second new one, tuned even more settings off, reset camera.  The results... 35 min then froeeze video in like 50 deg F ambient.  You are telling me that in your very inform opinion that this is outside the camera operating envelope????

Note, Hero camera in exact same conditions same settings works just fine.

Hero 7 Black used to work fine, after 1.8 update it simply does not.

Not actually sure what you are going to say after you amazing scientific test... if it passes am I am liar or jsut uniformed and must be having gopro failures in my dreams... if it fails are we all suddenly not delusional???

give it a rest.  Either the world is ganging up on GoPro Hero7 Black camera's or there may actually be an issue.

G

Highlighted
Tourist

I don't care if $OTHER_ACTION_CAMERA has similar issues. The older GoPros didn't. I bought the flagship product of the best known brand expecting it to be able to record at it's highest advertised quality. It is not capable of that except under limited, extreme circumstances. It's simply false advertising. I hate car metaphors as a rule but the above one is good. This GoPro model is a lemon.
Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

@gstahl wrote:

Dude,

get over yourself, you have no idea about how to test products, because your test might pass does not mean there is no issue. I have run the same test 72 deg F mounted to a door, about 45 min until beep beep beep shutdown.  Changed, SD card for a second new one, tuned even more settings off, reset camera.  The results... 35 min then froeeze video in like 50 deg F ambient.  You are telling me that in your very inform opinion that this is outside the camera operating envelope????

Note, Hero camera in exact same conditions same settings works just fine.

Hero 7 Black used to work fine, after 1.8 update it simply does not.

Not actually sure what you are going to say after you amazing scientific test... if it passes am I am liar or jsut uniformed and must be having gopro failures in my dreams... if it fails are we all suddenly not delusional???

give it a rest.  Either the world is ganging up on GoPro Hero7 Black camera's or there may actually be an issue.

G

That's not constructive at all, telling me to get over myself.   I'm simply stating that I've got the same camera, with the same firmware, and it just recorded a 1 hour 15 minute video at 1080p, 60fps with wifi on, voice recognition on, GPS on, at 22 degrees celcius, in an indoor environment.  It's one test and I'm not claiming that your camera doesn't have an issue.  I'm just proving that not all GoPro HERO7 Blacks have the same issue.

What are your expectations, by the way?  Let's see if we can work out a solution.