Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black Over Heating :-(

I have a dash cam but the quality is meh. I was hoping to use it as a secondary one since I have little use for GoPro the now that the big road trip is over.

If a camera overheats at room temperature, even given adequate airflow, that seems to be a design issue. If it can only record for a limited period of time at full resolution, that should be clearly stated on the box.
Highlighted
Tourist

It would be nice if it clearly stated this outdoor camera can't be used outdoors for more than 30 minutes in the southern states for 6 months out of the year. At least the I'd know I'd have to buy multiple cameras and dry ice boxes to cycle them out. :)
Highlighted
Explorer

While specific run times aren't mentioned, GoPro does state:

"Your camera was designed to recognize when it’s at risk of overheating and will shut down when needed."

" Shooting video at a high resolution and frame rate will also cause your camera to heat up faster, especially in hot environments. Try switching to a lower resolution and frame rate to lower the risk of overheating."

": High temperatures will cause your camera to use more power and drain the battery faster. "

Highlighted
Tourist

To me, an air conditioned Jeep, with the air conditioning aiming straight at the GoPro, is not a hot environment. It took ~30 minutes under such conditions for it to overheat. When i put it under the keep in 60 degree weather, that increased to about an hour. Seriously it wasn't completely stable until the Yukon. That's unreasonable, and mounting it that way to avoid the overheating resulted in a rock hitting the LCD, which is why I can't return it now. At least GoPro will fix it thanks to the 5$/mo subscription.

I wasn't shooting in death valley. If there is a notice, is in the very fine print on some website somewherw and nowhere on the box that I saw. Also, previous models did not have this problem. It's a design flaw and GoPro shouldn't be blaming the SD Card.
Highlighted
Tourist

Oh, and before you mention that it's irresponsible to mount a GoPro underneath a Jeep without a protective cover... I used the waterproof sealed protective case first. The real heavy duty one. Guess what. It overheated.
Highlighted
Explorer

Previous GoPro cameras didn't have this "problem"? Which previous camera(s) recorded stabilized 4K/60fps? Of course, increased RAM, faster processor, and 4K sensors are going to get very hot. Put that tech into a small sealed and waterproof case and it's pretty common sense that the thermals are going to be high. 30 minutes is actually pretty good. There are cameras (that aren't sealed and waterproof) that cost well over $1,000 that can only handle that amount of time (or less).

BTW, SD card performance most certainly has an effect on performance. Awhile back a member did test with different SanDisk and Samsung cards. He ran the cards and checked the thermals with a heat gun. The camera ran significantly cooler with high performance Samsung cards.
Highlighted
Tourist

In my case I'm not shooting in 4k. What's the excuse for.it over heating in 30 minutes?

My 5 is shooting at just a little less thank what I use the 7 and the 5 seems to last the hour and a half. The 7. Started having issues 15 minutes in and full panic in 30. Same day same time frame.
Highlighted
Hiker

First time poster. Got my Hero 7 Black this Friday. Can't wait to try it on my bicycle tomorrow commuting to work. I've let it sit on my couch last night while recording at 1440p30 and managed to do one hour 35 minutes with a single charge of the battery before it shutdown. I've let it cool down a bit (about 10 minutes) and swapped the battery with a Chinese batterie that I bought yesterday from Amazon (3 battery and a charger) and started recording at 4K60. It ran for 35 minutes before shutting down because of overeating. Again, that was sitting on my couch without any real air circulation and a Chinese battery. Battery was at about 25% left when it shut down. I'll see tomorrow if the airflow from biking at 5C/20C (morning/afternoon) will cool it down enought to record until the battery drains before I need to pop a fresh one in.