Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black Over Heating :-(

Go pro 4

Go pro 5

Go pro 6 and

Go pro 7 have the same problem over heat......

Really 4 generation and no fix the problem..........

maybe im need to used 1080p 

ok im buy a ferrari and drive and 25m/h the hold day hahahahahahaha

Snorkeling and Honduras, Belice and the go pro turn off...... no really happy

Highlighted
GoPro

Sorry to hear about your experience, @elchatorobles. At this time, I gather that you have already gone through recommended troubleshooting steps. Have you been able to get in touch with Support regarding the issue with your cameras? 

Highlighted
Tourist

@mariustanyaI'll be doing the test soon but I was wondreing if you can give me any kind of difinitive answer to the following...

Background...

Purchased 2x Hero7 Black to use in a car racing situation - mostly exterior placements but sometimes interior...

I have rigged up suction mounts - using vacumn pump type 15cm cups and have rigged external 5,000 mah batteries to the setup for capture of long recordings with Sandisk Extreme 128GB A2 cards...

In my intended "default" configuaration...

1st camera ( front ) will operate with GPS disabled, 2.7k 60p, Superview, Protune on, HyperSmooth enabled & internal mics set to Wind with a foam windslayer - this audio track will normally not be used but will serve as a "backup" - I am a little worried about heat with the "windslayer" but we will see if it contributes to excessive heat... This will serve as my Main veiw camera angle...

2nd camera ( rear ) will operate with GPS enabled, 1080/60, Superview, Protune on, HyperSmooth enabled & external unidiectional mic ( Nikon ME-1 ) through GoPro 3.5mm adapter with a dead cat - camera will be housed in a 3rd party Ulanza housing ( housing and mic adapter holder all in one ) with external mic negating the need for the foam windslayer... This will serve as my PIP veiw rear camera angle - GPS telemetry info for Race Render overlay - and default sound track in finished footage....

My concepts were that the higher resolution front camera could benifit from the GPS off ( less heat ? ) while the rear could handle it based on the lesser resolution load... Both cameras powered by the external batteries with no standard battery inside the cameras and triggered simutaniously using Smart remote ( no wifi app running )... Should be able to get a full race on the batteries and card combination but I am trying to be proactive about the heat given the recording times running long...

My MAIN question for you is this....

Am I correct to assume that I will be able to manage heat better by ONLY using external battery power while NOT using an internal battery ? or does the inclusion of "full" batteries for back-up have no additional heat affect ?   My past experience with other cameras ( first time GoPro user BTW ) are that the batteries tend to be one of the biggest over-heating factors and that even when using external batteries it was better to remove the internal ones if the cameras allowed it... I realize from my reading that, in GoPro Cameras, the use of a external battery "bypasses" the internal battery and directly powers the camera but my reasoning for removing the standard batteries is that they may act as a "heat sink" and trap or absorb and store heat when the camera is in use for such a long time....

Please comment if I need any corrections in my assumptions or you can offer any other tips for this application... 

Cheers in advance,

Highlighted
Explorer

@higuma
They will stay cooler without a battery. Additionally, make sure connections are turned OFF. I don't think GPS plays that big of an impact on the heat, but if you don't need it, don't use it. It will save more power, and is one less task for the processor.
Highlighted
Tourist

@danielr15  Thanks for the input - I understood that turning connections to "off" may save power / heat generation if the wifi was active and communicating through the GoPro app on my phone / tablet but I thought that if the connection was not active and not communicating / transfering data or control the connection would not generate heat ( or at least as much heat ) ? 

The problem in my application is that I require the Bluetooth to function for use of the SmartRemote and with connections set to off there is no BT... Being able to start and stop cameras at the same time - as a group - to prevent syncing difficulties later in post is of importance with such long clips...

Thanks again - I'm hoping to run an extended test in the next few days but I am waiting for delivery of a new IR thermometer gun from Amazon - last one got left on the roof of a car and didn't survive the ejector seat... Smiley Surprised

Highlighted
Tourist

Update...

Ran my first set of tests today and wanted to report the first piece of surprising information - full technical details will come later once I have flushed out all my tests....

For those thinking to eploy the use of a "Wind Slayer" or one of those foam cases for fighting wind that you can buy off Ebay or Amazon... Shooting 2.7k/60 PT Superview indoors my camera overheated and shut-down after approximately 30 minutes - after letting it cool for about 1 hour just to be sure I was able to record continuously WITHOUT the windslayer and no overheating or shutdowns for the rest of the life of my external battery - approximately another 2h14m...

My second camera recording at 1080/60 PT Superview with an external microphone and in one of those Alani V-log cases was able to record for the entire life of the external battery without any heat trouble ( although it did get pretty hot ) - approximately 4h26m...

First conclusion: Wind Slayer is also a tremendous heatsink - it might be an alternative in outdoor high airflow conditions but on it's own or outside the arctic you are WAY better off spending the money on an external mic set up...

More data to some for those who might be interested in some test data on their "over-heating" issues...

PS: Both cameras had no internal battery in these initial tests - I will compare to combination of external + internal batteries in future go arounds...

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Update...

We appreciate the update, @higuma. Results are looking good! Thank you for sharing. Removing the battery while recording is recommended to provide more space for the camera to dissipate heat. It is also important that the setup uses the GoPro-provided cable and a recommended charger/power source (output of 5V, 1-2A). Feel free to post back for any more inputs/results or concerns. Best regards!

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Update...

Follow-up - more interesting discoveries....

As I said earlier, my intended set-up was to incorporate the use of a "Ulanzi" branded v-log case in the "bumper" camera - the one which has a specific extension slot for the 3.5mm mic adapter - commonly available on Amazon...

To my surprise I found that the use of this case results in a +15*c temp difference when compared to a stock GoPro cage over extended recording periods >1.5h...

After a lot of analysis of the temps using a IR heat thermometer - I found that the highest heat readings on both cameras occurs at the 9 - 11 o'clock position of the case just outside and around the lens area when looking at the camera from the front...

On the v-log case this area is quite covered by plastic so I decided to perform a little surgery to see if I could alleviate some of the heat... ( no bitchin about my dremel skills OK? - it was harder than it looks at first flush )

I removed the front face of the case plus drilled two large holes in the sides of the case above the door and switch reliefs respectively...

Stock Configuration:

Ulanzi_.jpg

Post Surgical Intervention:

IMG_2212_.jpg

IMG_2214_.jpg

IMG_2215_.jpg

RESULTS: relieving the case in these areas yielded a NO GREATER than 5*c difference ( a 10*c reduction ) when compared to a stock case over extended periods of time - additionally the relief around the lens area allowed the continued use of my ND filters without interference from the case....

Conclusions thus far - -

1) Windslayer foam covers contribute greatly to heat build up on extended recordings... Ok for short periods or maybe in cool weather... otherwise ??????

2) The Ulanzi V-log case works well but it too has a "Heat Soak" effect when recording for extended periods - However - a radical surgical intervention can yield temps "ALMOST" as good as the stock GoPro case which, in the end, is good enough for my use-case....

Lastly,

You will see from the additional attached photo below that I designed and 3D printed my own GoPro mount which includes the incorporation of a cradle for a 5,000 mAH external battery when used on my specific "pump-type" suction mount... I can make the .stl file available if any should wish to play around or adapt it for their own use... It's a work in progress but this 2nd prototype functions well...

IMG_2213_.jpg

More updates as they become available / relevant....

Cheers from the gorgeous summer-time weather in Northern Japan....