Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Explorer

Re: Hero 7 Black - Hypersmooth Panning Issue

I never said that GoPro shouldn't address this, that it's not something of importance to people, or that they are wrong about the jitter that happens when panning with Hypersmooth.

I never said any of those things, so don't try and mischaracterize what I have suggested.

I do not design these cameras or their software. I do not know what goes into the engineering or what making a change to improve slow panning would do to effect another. I've said it would be great if GoPro could give us different stabilization options.

But, those are my opinions. Most people don't come here for yours or my opinion. What they mostly want to know is can it be fixed or how can it be improved, today. What good is it to say, "Yeah, GoPro really needs to fix this" without offering any options for the meantime?

You offer nothing. Others here have, but you just shoot them down because somehow discussing work arounds is "sweeping under the rug". You're impetulant. There really is no better word to describe your behavior.

WE did not design this software.
WE are not the people who will develop the next firmware update
WE are not the people you need to convince to make changes
WE do not have to agree with every thing you say and every opinion you share

By all means, leave feedback for GoPro. Make YouTube videos. Tweet. Post on GoPro's Facebook and Instagram. Do whatever you need to do to get GoPro's attention. I don't care.

BUT, stop attacking me for merely offering my advice and opinion.

I can only offer advice. Assuming that people want to know, 1) is it normal to get these results and 2) is there anyway to improve on those results, I offer advice the best I can. I think it's safe to assume that if someone is unhappy, they will return the camera. I doubt many here are looking for that suggestion, as it's already available to them.

So, with people posting dissatisfaction with panning, and assuming they want more than just to have someone agree with them, what is YOUR suggestion beyond, GoPro should fix it. If you haven't noticed, NOBODY has said that GoPro SHOULDN"T address this.

Getting to know your camera settings and limitations in different settings isn't bad advice, is it? Suggesting the use of a Gimbal makes sense, doesn't it? Do you advise people not change settings or get to know what effect they have? Should people not learn the camera and what works best before filming important moments? As it stands, knowing when to turn on and off EIS seems like a good idea. Is it not? Just checking.
Explorer

@delvecchio33

I think the HERO5 was only stabilizing vertical movement.  If you need stabilized slow panning without a Gimbal and the other features of the HERO7 Black don't make it a better camera for you, then the HERO5 (or maybe even the Sony FDR FDR-X3000 with OIS) might be a better fit for you.  GoPro may, or may not, address this in a future update.  It might be best for you to do as @fishycomics seems to have decided to do, and return the camera while your still within the refund time period and wait to see if the update comes out to address this.

Nomad

@danielr15

"But, those are my opinions. Most people don't come here for yours or my opinion. What they mostly want to know is can it be fixed or how can it be improved, today."

Oh that's funny, just the other day you went crazy (as you do so oftenly) on these forums telling me that what you said was YOUR OPINION and I shouldn't ask questions about it... Bit hypocritical there I would say.

"You offer nothing. Others here have, but you just shoot them down because somehow discussing work arounds is "sweeping under the rug"."

Sure keep telling yourself that. My advice is genuinely useful while yours consists of "check your SD card", or "do a manual update". Or in this case, "Try using a different camera". Yes. We all value your fantastic advice Daniel hahahahahahah.

While my advice actually tries to help the user find the source of their problem and fix it.

"BUT, stop attacking me for merely offering my advice and opinion."

Again why are you giving your opinion if "people don't come here for yours or my opinion"? - Again hypocritical. Writing essays doesn't make your point any more valid I'm afraid. Also read your last post, you're clearly attacking me...

Please try to offer something constructive in the future, and if you can't handle people dissagreeing with you don't post at all.

Thanks.

Explorer

@quickhero77554

How about this.

Please stop.
Nomad

[ Edited ]

@danielr15

With pleasure.

Now is there anybody here who can help with this issue?

Many of us are having an issue with the Hypersmooth Panning where the screen seems to slow down and speed up as you're turning.

Adventurer

Do you think the first few seconds is just the hiccups of the camera. And do you think it could be the Ram not the correct write speed or recessing speed?
Nomad

@fishycomics

I think the problem persists throughout a long pan so it's unlikely that it can be associated to the first few seconds. Maybe it's worse to start with and gets better? but unlikely.

I would have thought the increased RAM in the Hero7 Black might actually help these issues, but it seems that the increased RAM has gone to fixing the jerky stabilisation movements seen the Hero6, which was of course a welcome fix.

The stabilisation in the Hero7 is clearly trying far too hard to keep you looking forward when panning and this is the issue.

I don't think Hypersmooth is necessarily the issue, I just think that a seperate panning mode needs to be introduced. The alternative is to revamp Hypersmooth to sense when you are turning and not moving forwards, and pan correctly, but that's almost certainly a harder fix than just adding a 2 axis panning mode.

Nomad

[ Edited ]

To achieve the cropped image in the image below, during a long-slow pan, the camera runs out of extra image at the edges.   Then, the camera quickly recenters itself and when this happens you see a stutter.   There are various things that can be done about that such as auto or manual panning modes, a gentler recentering behavior, lesser stabilization, no stabilization and so forth.   

The H6B has a similar characteristic, but it has smaller and more frequent stutters.  Apparently it is not considered a concern for that camera. 

A gimbal can pan very well but can limit your intent as to speed and rate.  It's something to keep in mind during your shots.   Not an issue for at the action shooting per se, the favored use case.   

Oh and some stabilizing of pans can help immensely during the editing effort in a PC or Mac.  

REPmHDd.jpg