Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: Hero 7 Black - Hypersmooth Panning Issue

Camera facing you panning maybe the radius that the camera picks up is part of the issue
Highlighted
Tourist

I've noticed the hypersmooth issue too and i've tried the mode 4:3 1440p in standard stabilisation. It works fine. 

So I hope that Gopro will propose at least a standard stabilisation mode asap.

Highlighted
Nomad

Betreff: Hero 7 Black - Hypersmooth Panning Issue

Also by all means try some stabilization in your video editing software during your post production efforts.  

Using Lock & Load on four trial slow pan clips intended to bring out the stuttering ==> Solved

I do mostly motorsports action, don't do many cinematic slow pans of the countryside from a standing position or whatever. 

But for those that do, and that also edit their clips later on rather than posting them uncut and as-is it will certainly help.  

Highlighted
Sightseer

https://youtu.be/LZu4S6sk26o
Just some samples I took from my trip last weekend. Clearly dissatisfied with my results. Coming from a hero 5 black I'd never seen anything like this. I get it "panning and stabilisation don't go together" but as stated should I really have to scroll through a menu every time I take a panning shot? I typically take shots on the fly so I'm basically being told don't use stabilisation or try your luck. Was the 6 even close to this unpolished? I'm going to give it a shot if not I'm going back to the 5.
Highlighted
Nomad

@delvecchio33

Yes that looks terrible as most panning shots with this camera do.

It seems most here such as @danielr15 are happy to suggest that you need to "learn the camera" though instead of admitting it's an issue.

I had both the 5 and the 6, both of which had no problem panning with stabilisation.

This issue with the 7 is video breaking.
Highlighted
Explorer

@quickhero77554
Just can't help calling me out at every opportunity? Seriously, get off the playground kid. This isn't a popularity contest.
Highlighted
Nomad

@danielr15

But just to be sure, you think that the 20 people that have already complained about this panning issue here are wrong right? And they should "learn the camera" as you've suggested? Just checking.
Highlighted
Nomad

Don't have the 5 anymore for comparison...but the 6 is not a perfect Slow-Panner itself.  

Try it out now that we have seen some 7 stutters...and you'll see.   It seems to have smaller but more frequent stutters, perhaps some of us are used to that?   

Compare that to a gimbal. 

One thing I'll have to try tomorrow, are some of the four modes the 7 has that use what they call "standard" stabilization.