Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black - Hypersmooth Panning Issue

[ New ]
Panning is a basic function. If I am underwater filming as I snorkel, and turn to the left or right to film something of interest, or I am filming my kids on a rope swing, or racing down a hill on my mountain bike and want to quickly film something of interest on the side of the track, I am panning. I certainly don’t want to fiddling with the camera settings to do something as basic as filming left or right. Not an expert in any way so I could be wrong.... any how looks like it has been fixed
Explorer

[ New ]

@agilestoke40735 wrote:

@danielr15 - "@agilestoke40735 WHAT IS YOUR MALFUNCTION? 😂🤣😋"

I'm not paid by GoPro to hype stuff like you.

Really, I am?  Can't wait to get my first check! @fishycomics you get your check yet?  

Nomad

[ New ]
@agilestoke40735 Glad someone else finally agrees. @danielr15 is so blatantly a gopro employee posing as a customer. Notice he has never had a bad thing to say about gopro? His gopro could literally set fire in his hands and he would say "oh but this could happen to any camera, did you know gopro footage looks incredible!?!?".
Nomad

[ New ]
Love reading through this thread having been away for a bit and it's the same old crap.

Pretty juch just @danielr15 commenting utter crap and calling people trolls if they don't agree with him.

If someone has something to say they have the right to say it without some know it all coming along and putting them down.

Daniel reminds me of that sweaty overweight tech kid in school that would answer every question in class with a stutter and a lisp, and if you disagree with him would just squeal.

But even though this thread is FULL of daniel insulting others, prepare now for "you're such a troll". Get a life daniel please.

Tourist

[ New ]

Well I did just purchase a Feiyutech G6 plus gimbal. I will format the memory card I received with my GoPro again tomorrow. I will try it again and see if the video still looks fuzzy.

Adventurer

[ New ]

@danielr15 wrote:

@agilestoke40735 wrote:

@danielr15 - "@agilestoke40735 WHAT IS YOUR MALFUNCTION? 😂🤣😋"

I'm not paid by GoPro to hype stuff like you.

Really, I am?  Can't wait to get my first check! @fishycomics you get your check yet?  

Actuall I used the corp card  and had Dinner last night on them

And I tell you it was good till I got back homei felt Blurry knowing I wiped my  screen  perfectly clean.  better yet the members here have no clue whatt he hell tehy are doing as well me. b/c what baffles me is  the Crap  the hero 7 is  on FW 1.61 dam if I believed I was am gopro Employee I be a Monkeys Uncle. 

Oh the crap is perfect or   Izt's NOT

Tourist

[ New ]

Just too words: "thank you" for this upgrade

Just perfect for FPV now Smiley Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWA7iNOlV-s

Perfect now with the new firmware!FPV quad: Xhover StingyGopro hero 7 black @ 2.7K 60fps rendered at 30fpsHypersmooth / Superview / protune
Sightseer

[ New ]

I saw the new firmware update fixes the slow pan issue. Great but, having just returned from a vacation BEFORE the update was available, is there a way to fix the stuttering pans?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @evank88,

If it was taken before the update looks like it's impossible to fix those footage. 

Nomad

[ New ]

You can manually or semiautomatically improve a stutter-pan a bit in a PC/Mac.  

This would not be something for newer folks who may have taken days to finally gotten their camera firmware-updated. 

A pain tho and I hopefully u don't have all panning footage for long time periods.  

Consult with a video guru if this is beyond you but you still really need the footage. 

Tourist

[ New ]

A software stabilization could reduce the issue but it's not perfect.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Cyberlink PowerDirector does a great job  stabilizing, but not on the H7B hypersmooth it  has its issues if to much applied, if asked?

Explorer

[ New ]
@quickhero77554 @agilestoke40735
Actually I work as a nurse in a State prison and am a Krav Maga instructor. I'm a father of three boys and my hobbies include surfing, judo, rock climbing, mountain biking, skate boarding, and off road motorcycle and ATV riding. I've been using GoPro cameras since the HERO HD and really enjoy the cameras. GoPro has helped me to capture amazing moments in my family's life from births to first time walking, riding a bike, surfing, and skateboarding. I don't come here for Kudos or to argue with negative Nancy trolls, but rather to try to help people get the most from their camera or get directed to where they can receive the most help. Recognizing that most people have already purchased the camera when they get here, I try not to dwell on what the camera cannot do, but rather how to help people get the most from what it can. Some would rather just bitch and complain without offering solutions beyond, "GoPro fix it", however that helps nobody. Yes, I do try to stay positive. Yes, I do try to stay focused on GoPro products. When a competitor is mentioned, I point out the strength of GoPro. Why? Because people have already purchased the GoPro camera. This isn't a tech review site or a stock tip forum. This is a member to member community of people who already own a GoPro camera. How is it helpful to bash or talk negatively about the product or people using it? To inflate your fragile ego? We are not GoPro's engineers or Support Team. The most this forum can offer are Protune setting suggestions, mounting ideas, encouragement, and basic trouble shooting (which mostly comes down to using the right SD card and performing a manual update). If the issue can't be resolved here, then we direct then to the GoPro Support Team. Why is this hard for you to understand?
Adventurer

[ New ]

Survivor is over this Wed. and I guess i have to pleade my case to, nope.  So   Back to  the Panning  and stutter issue it is corrected and tonight I shall be able to repeat what I shot  before . and maybe do it Live an d pick a  quiet spot but  nah I just go about waht I am after. the answer to my question and move on.   

FISH

Sightseer

[ New ]

I just saw a firmware update yesterday that suggested this issue had been fixed, and it appears that it was. The update was actually released on December 11 and says:

• Eliminates image stuttering in slow panning shots that use HyperSmooth stabilization.

In the release notes: https://gopro.com/update/hero7-black

Tourist

[ New ]
Hypersmooth is not a gimbal replacement as the media headlines like to say. It performs as a gimbal so long as you are maintaining the same composition (i.e. the shot is a stationary shot, or forward/backward moving). This is where it excels. If you pan, tilt, rotate, you will see occasional twitches.
Nomad

[ New ]

Also hypersmooth only works with fast shutters speeds. If you shot in dark environments or with a ND filter it's pretty much useless.

Hypersmooth is only smooth if you think fast shutters are smooth.

Nomad

[ New ]

@danielr15 - "How is it helpful to bash or talk negatively about the product or people using it?"

Well, if GoPro sells the Hero7 Black as a gimbal killer, which it clearly is not then I prefer to actually informe people about this fact and how a proper gimbal actually could improve their imagery.

This is a user forum and not a PR vehicle for boosted claims which have no connections to reality.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello, I hace updated the camera and it seems to be better...but not perfect. If I use LARGE FOV, it is pretty ok, but with LINEAR FOV the stuttering is still here. 

Do you thing that my sd card (sandisk ultra HC 1) could play a role in this issue ? I mean, do you think that it is going to be better with a higher speed sd card ?

thanks

Tourist

[ New ]

Yes for me, Gopro 7 black is now a real gimbal killer, a reelsteady killer and a DJI drone killer :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwRdxCqYo8o

TBS VendettaXhover Stingy 5"Lumenier Quav-Codered 3"Gopro hero 7 black 2.7K @ 60fps protune, hypersmooth, fov wide
Explorer

[ New ]
@rockydusk2535
That is some amazing footage. Truly beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I liked and subscribed.
Nomad

[ New ]

@rockydusk2535 just A M A Z I N G !!! 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @danielp050. Great to know that your camera is already updated to the latest firmware. Ultra cards are not compatible with GoPro cameras. It would be best to use one of the recommended cards on this list 

@rockydusk2535 . Thank you for sharing. The footage is truly amazing! 

Tourist

[ New ]

I have some test today with a new micro sd card, Sandisk Extreme hc1 32 gb, and it ended that I have still stutttering issue with 1080 Linear and 2,7 Linear. 

It works better with 2,7k Large.

Do I need to change my sd card ?

Tourist

[ New ]

Finally I caled tech support and after some tests they will change it for a new camera....As I am in Europe, I hope I won't have too much time to wait for my gopro.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I'm returning my new GoPro 7 Black because I cannot pan with the HyperSmooth stabilization turned on, AND there are apparently no other stabilization options...it's HyperSmooth or nothing. This explains why ALL of GoPro's promos feature video shot HEAD ON when demonstrating its effectiveness.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I heard a well-known YouTube reviewer state that the HyperSmooth panning issue is incurable.

Tourist

[ New ]

Same issue for me when panning....I called support team and they changed my camera, but again same issue with hpersmooth. Then, I called again and they asked me to make some video test and publish them on youtbube. For a few days I was waiting for an answer by email from support team, and now, after they have seen the videos, they told me there is no problem, all the videos are ok for them !!!!!

The videos are bumping whan panning, but it's ok for gopro team....sorry but it's not ok for me as it cost me around 450 euros !

I just hope they will release a new firmware soon...

Tourist

[ New ]

Same issue for me when panning....I called support team and they changed my camera, but again same issue with hpersmooth. Then, I called again and they asked me to make some video test and publish them on youtbube. For a few days I was waiting for an answer by email from support team, and now, after they have seen the videos, they told me there is no problem, all the videos are ok for them !!!!!

The videos are bumping when panning, but it's ok for gopro team....sorry but it's not ok for me as it cost me around 450 euros !

I just hope they will release a new firmware soon...

Nomad

[ New ]

This issue was fixed in firmware 1.6

Tourist

[ New ]

Not for me .....and same issue with 1.70....I also changed my sd card and buy 2 new ones which are very fast (90 written speed) and recommended by Gopro 

Hiker

[ New ]

What settings were you filming in and can you post the video link

Tourist

[ New ]
1080 60 fps hypersmooth on
https://youtu.be/mu6G_C9DOk8
Explorer

[ New ]
Is your only example in low light? Did you turn auto low light off or did you keep it on?
Tourist

[ New ]

I tried with low light on and low light off but always same issue...just a little bit better. I also tried videos outside in bright light, but always same issue.

Tourist

[ New ]

Just came back from Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam and almost fell off my chair when looking at some of the footage I took there. 

Please take a look at this clip shot in 2.7k @24 FpS, Hypersmooth ON, Firmware 1.7 and let me know if it is normal and what I can do to make it better next time. Will shooting in 60 FpS instead of 24 FpS reduce the stuttering when panning?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKNz7fM-woc  

Explorer

[ New ]

Read this and this.

What you are getting has little to do with the camera and more to do with your frame rate.  The Hypersmooth panning issue, which this post is about, had to do with Hypersmooth and the camera trying to remove movement. Once the available correction area was exceeded, the camera view would then jump to recenter.  Your video does not display this phenomenon, but rather has judder, which is common with any camera.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks Daniel - will try with a higher framerate next time. Appreciate your suggestions.

Tourist

[ New ]

This is exactly the same behaviour I continue to see as well.  It has nothing to do with frame rate or shutter speeds, and is a result of Hypersmooth.  I think its a design issue because hypersmooth is NOT designed to handle camera panning.  If you think about GoPro as an action camera, it make sense that the camera is usually mounted in a fixed position on a person or object moving forwrard or backwards through space.  Hypersmooth does an amazing job at resolving shake and directional changes if you're moving that way but not panning shots.  It just is not designed for that sort of motion correction.  If a GoPro is mounted to the side of a car as it rounds a turn, it still has part of the car in its frame (being that it is a fixed mount) to use as a reference.  If the shot as a whole is panning, it has no point of reference to "lock".

_J

Adventurer

[ New ]

Going forward is what  gopro did great on the  Hypersmooth, once side ways I guess the issues  are going to be fixeddown the road if they ever resolve it