Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: Hero 7 Black - Hypersmooth Panning Issue

As we found another issue I do not think gopro will address it, they do not tell this site of the troubles found, they take our notes though down, and hten  say we got a  firmware fix coming for what coming, and what time?  Lol  they can offer  each fix say fw 1.52 stutter fix, fw 1.53 battery fix. they rather offer FW 1.60 and say userability, bugs and fixes,    stutter, battery. etc....

weeks away so we're all waiting???

Highlighted
Hiker

Betreff: Hero 7 Black - Hypersmooth Panning Issue

Is stuttering during pans reduced with higher frame rates?

Can it be corrected with Warp Stabilizer?

I've seen this effect in feature movies, where pans look oddly "pixellated," not smooth like other moves.

Before switching to the Hero 7 Black, I had a Freefly Movi Cinema Robot that seemed to do much better on pans. There wasn't the effect I'm seeing with the Hero 7, where Hypersmooth kind of fails on close shots, with uneven motion and annoying jitter.

I wonder if part of the reason we see this with the Hero and in feature films is that the "rules" for effective, natural-looking pans prescribe very, very slow panning. See this article on panning best practices on the RED camera website: https://www.red.com/red-101/camera-panning-speed.

Highlighted
Hiker

Betreff: Hero 7 Black - Hypersmooth Panning Issue

Oops, my mistake. I posted the above based on my experience with slow closeups, not real pans - I'm seeing jitteriness, not stutters. The effect I was seeing is different from what's up for discussion in this thread. Apologies!

Moving on, I'm intrigued by the workarounds that have been suggested: Lock and Load stabilization plugin for Final Cut said to remove the stutters. And shooting in 1440/4:3 mode with standard stabilization removes the stutters too. Curious to see what kind of fix GoPro comes up with, if any.

Highlighted
Hiker

Seriously funny video. Thanks for lightening the mood!

Highlighted
Hiker

Hubba-hubba, as we old guys say.

Highlighted
Tourist

I agree with all of this. I was standing in line with Karma Grip in hand for my Hero 5 when someone suggested I get the Hero 7 instead for a small extra $100. I did so and am super disappointed in the slow pan phenomenon of start/stip/start/stop. It's completely unacceptable. There really needs to be a firmware fix for this. (Ironically I just got an email for the new DJI Osmo....Hmmm)

Highlighted
Tourist

I am just a dad user and have taken some lovely footage on the hero 7, like unbelievably good shots (well for me anyhow). Taking pans - forget it, it’s crap really, well compared to any mobile phone with a camera. Thought taking a pan would be an everyday occurrence for someone who uses a camera and I did not see any evidence of this panning issues in any of the Gopro’s Marketing campaigns. Basic function, fix it please so people like me can just pick up the Gopro and film across the horizon, emagine that, panning, who would have thought...
Highlighted
Adventurer

Only one mentioned this  during the  marketing.  Firmware is   hours away for the Month of December   stay stoked.