Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 Black - Hypersmooth Panning Issue

To be honest I dont know why they are marketing it towards action sports. I highly doubt the gimbal can hold up to bumps and vibrations of many action sports. I think GoPro IES is the way to go and was so glad to ditch my older GoPros and buying mountable gimbals for it.
The Pocket looks great for day to day stuff, but if you need an action camera you will already have a GoPro so you might as well just get a gimbal, like you said.
Even if you could grab both I would wait to see if they can even fix some of there issues with firmware
Highlighted
Tourist

I was one of the first to report the problem of panning. I have updated and now the problem has been solved. updated quietly.
Highlighted
Tourist

Highlighted
Tourist

DJI just updated the firmware recently and fixed some of the issues. And this is even before the thing is officially out. Sending them out to various YT influencers seem to have been a useful endeavor besides getting publicity.
Highlighted
GoPro

Thank you for the confirmation, @graymesa10783. How did it go on your end, @andrewm82305

Highlighted
Hiker

Yeah I just saw that.  Still some stuff to fix, and likely more stuff will come up when it is released.  Good to hear they are already being proactive, but still going to wait and see. The built-in battery and no weather resistance was a huge downer for me, maybe gen 2.  Would actually rather it be slightly bigger and have all that and a bigger sensor for it to be used for everything outside of action/sport stuff.

Highlighted
Explorer

Did DJI add 2.7K, 2.7K/120fps, a removable battery, weather resistance, increased durability, widen the screen to show the entire camera FOV, remove gimbal reliance for stabilization with high frequency vibration and high wind speed, put a bracket to support the phone when connected so it doesn't ruin the phone charging port, allow for "pro" settings changes without connecting a phone, as zoom capability, and offer more FOV options so your not stuck with narrow?

If they did, sounds like it might be competition for GoPro. If not, sounds like a gimmicky device that is no better, and sometimes much worse, than just using your phone on a gimbal. Although, it is small... Until you start adding accessories and your phone of course.
Highlighted
Nomad

@danielr15

GoPro's basic problem here is that there is probably a bigger demand for the Osmo Pocket "lifestyle camera" than a waterproof action cam. Thus the unit will more than likely cut into Hero7 sales than broaden the stagnating camera market. Thus GoPros sales will be lower.  And that is certainly problematic.

BTW: there is also rumours about a DJI Osmo Pocket 2 version with a 1 inch sensor, probably due in 6 months time.

So GoPro really must step up the ante for the Hero8 next year. That basically means a GP2 chip and the cost of such LSI developement has skyrocketed since the GP1 design. With decreasing sales such a devlopement will be a financial hurdle.