Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black - Hypersmooth Panning Issue

I tried with low light on and low light off but always same issue...just a little bit better. I also tried videos outside in bright light, but always same issue.

Tourist

Just came back from Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam and almost fell off my chair when looking at some of the footage I took there. 

Please take a look at this clip shot in 2.7k @24 FpS, Hypersmooth ON, Firmware 1.7 and let me know if it is normal and what I can do to make it better next time. Will shooting in 60 FpS instead of 24 FpS reduce the stuttering when panning?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKNz7fM-woc  

Explorer

Read this and this.

What you are getting has little to do with the camera and more to do with your frame rate.  The Hypersmooth panning issue, which this post is about, had to do with Hypersmooth and the camera trying to remove movement. Once the available correction area was exceeded, the camera view would then jump to recenter.  Your video does not display this phenomenon, but rather has judder, which is common with any camera.

Tourist

Thanks Daniel - will try with a higher framerate next time. Appreciate your suggestions.

Tourist

This is exactly the same behaviour I continue to see as well.  It has nothing to do with frame rate or shutter speeds, and is a result of Hypersmooth.  I think its a design issue because hypersmooth is NOT designed to handle camera panning.  If you think about GoPro as an action camera, it make sense that the camera is usually mounted in a fixed position on a person or object moving forwrard or backwards through space.  Hypersmooth does an amazing job at resolving shake and directional changes if you're moving that way but not panning shots.  It just is not designed for that sort of motion correction.  If a GoPro is mounted to the side of a car as it rounds a turn, it still has part of the car in its frame (being that it is a fixed mount) to use as a reference.  If the shot as a whole is panning, it has no point of reference to "lock".

_J

Highlighted
Adventurer

Going forward is what  gopro did great on the  Hypersmooth, once side ways I guess the issues  are going to be fixeddown the road if they ever resolve it