Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: Hero 7 Black - Hypersmooth Panning Issue

Yes seen DJI Pocket  firmware fix,   well did you know from the youtubers of gopro did thesame  but  were told not to air,

I  think no matter  they did fine when Holidays are here. applaude them both

FISH

Highlighted
Hiker

Fish are you able to make firmware 1.51 available?
Highlighted
Hiker

I can see it being useful for someone who has zero need for an action/sports camera and do not need it rugged/water proof.  Just shooting family stuff or some vacation stuff.

Even though i think its a good device and a leap in pocket cameras, I just feel they really dropped the ball because it could have been a much better compliment to an action camera because it cant replace an action camera, so I would prefer it had a bigger sensor and just was that much better as a general use device (who cares if it was slightly bigger). Right now, even if I had both I would still bring along my mirrorless for low light stuff and photos, so if I am already bringing that, wtf is the point of having the Pocket when it cant fill in the need for an action camera?

I just cannot see it holding up as an action camera and some people are primarily buying it for that reason.  There is no way the gimbal would last.  My WG2 did not last very long and it is a larger more robust gimbal.  And once the gimbal acts up your screwed. 

I just saw reviews about the updated firmware.  So for 1080/120fps that was added it also crops an already narrow field of view - that is a joke and I assume that is because it uses some sort of IES as well because the gimbal cannot do it by itself?  Arm extended you can barely keep someones head taking a self shot in frame.  Still has autofocus issues, and still has issues with subjects foregrounded and the the footage jumping

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

My findings as follow.

After going to 1.61 I find that:

1 - The panning issue is still there, it is not 100% clean.

2 - When panning, there is an obvious focus/stability issue where the image quality is not clean. Its like the stability algorithm is going too hard in correcting and its just not good. It has a noticable blur shimmer to it.

3 - I find 4K 60, there appears to be a drop in image quality, it appears softer and not as detailed.

I have been comparing 1.51 footage filmed same time, weather and conditions and there is a noticable difference.

GoPro should make the 1.51 firmware publicly available as some of us use these cameras in a commercial video environment. If anyone has 1.51, I would like a copy please so I can go back.

Highlighted
Nomad

^ Show a sample video, anecdotes are not useful.   My results with 1.61 are just fine.   Another anecdote.   ;-)

For panning note that you give up resolution inherently with any EIS solution.   Since a smaller portion of the imaging sensor is used and once stabilized this is bumped back up to 4K dimensions.   So you lose some rez and FOV.    

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Hi, I appreciate your reply. When using 1.51, the Image Quality was acceptable, when panning in 1.61, there is an obvious smear to the footage. Sorry, I wont be uploading any footage. If you are not experiencing any issues with your 1.61, thats fine. I know we are here.

Highlighted
Nomad

My GoPro action cameras are mostly used for...action.   When i do cinematic pans of an action event, I generally use a karma grip.   So perfect panning for that, and at full resolution (since no crop which then gets upsized back) and max-wide FOV if I need that.   Perhaps our uses vary in that respect.  

Highlighted
Hiker

ok, reverted back to 1.51. All is good now. Considering gopro support told me it was NOT POSSIBLE to downgrade.............hhhhhmmmmm, yeah right.