Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black - Hypersmooth Panning Issue

Meanwhile, I apologize for my English from "Italian", my experience was that I bought the hero 7 black, just put into operation I did the firmware update at 1.51. I started testing and I noticed the drag problems when I was panning. I tried different resolutions and with different micro sd, but the problem was the same. I called Gopro Italia assistance several times, they also did some tests with different hero 7 blacks and they confirmed that on some heroes there was that problem and that they would write to Gopro USA. I thought maybe I could return the hero 7 to the store by taking another, and so I did. with the new I did various tests of panning without updating the firmware (is sold with 1.0), everything worked perfectly and I thought the problem was in the hero. update to firmware 1.5, and the dragging problems reappear with the panning ... I can confirm that the problem can be solved with a further update by Gopro. Let's hope!

Tourist

I've noticed the issue from the 1st version and now with v1.51 for low and fast panning (Camera is mounted on a FPV quad). I've tried with and without ND filter with the same bad results.  I've several videos that shows it.

I've better stabilisation result with a gopro hero 5 session + post processing but of course i very happy with video quality of the 7.  

Today i use the gopro 7 with modes that allow to have standard stabilisation (not hypersmooth) but these mode are rare.

Nomad

@rockydusk2535

This is interesting, It would be good for others to test this!

One question though, were you testing in 4k 60fps?

The only reason I ask os because in v1.0 4k 60fpd was not stabilised so wouldn't have had the issue. Stabilisation for that res was added in the latest firmware.
Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

I tested 1080 60fps, the panning fault is much more evident in fov linear

Tourist

For all my videos I used 2.7K 60 FPS superview and protune on.
Sightseer

I TOTALLY agree.  You can not pan without some kind of skip/jump/speeding up within a clip.  I will probably send the Hero 7 back.  I'm not going to waste my time waiting for a solution. 

It is hard to believe this problem wasn't detected during the prototype testing,  Also, I've own many other GoPros and was always disapointed in freeze ups, compatabilitiy of SD cards and codec issues. Yes, I know, there is a reason for everything, but simplicity/compatability obviously is not included.

Also, I am using a GoPro Hero 7 Black, with a recommended SD card.

Adventurer

GoPro gave out the Camera so they can beta-test everything, seems that  they more or less did not spend enough time if asked.  BY   watching their Youtubers they chose that all came out on Sept 20th, One said there was a stuttter, another said they tried afew firmware's, but most simply said 4  key point's  and  here we are.....

Panning can be done in many ways and speeds, if  we can not back up wit ha video at all and just type , does not say much to GoPro at all. but there is a small issue. if asked.  I am  with a Faulty returned gopro and down the road another Hero 7 Black.   Hypersmooth is just one of the four things  that sold us.

I said  b4 try to waste Ten seconds of the clip then Slow  Panning.  

I wonder and I wonder now if tracking   needs to be set higher or lower, I wonder if Hypersmooth can have three speeds but  some will say they are  not going to play around with settings each and every time.

Seems the camera was catered to Forward movement and that is why we arecomplaining  rotating simply fails..  Well the computer isgoing to guess your move but the  tracking needs to be  adjusted again  so that would be for a future Firmware, normally in November..

Return but also keep in mind a fix is down the road or Gopro will be........................

Nomad

Really great stabilization on an RC car.    Gimbal-Killer, Sony X3000 killer.   Action shot & Moving Ahead.   Those two are the target for Hypersmooth, perhaps.  

https://www.facebook.com/100009645127462/videos/779227339075430/