Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Adventurer

Re: Hero 7 Black - Hypersmooth Panning Issue

@quickhero77554
OK buddy, like always, you have all the answers and the only comments that count.
Highlighted
Nomad

@quickhero77554

While most people don't have a gimbal they will still get better stabilization with the Hero7 than the previous editions. Hero7 is not so much for the Hero6 user but rather for the Hero4 and Hero5 upgraders.

You should also look beyond the marketing hype of the GoPro advertisement. "Gimbal like" is not 100% the same as a gimbal. And GoPros own Abe Kislevitz from the media team pretty much nails it in his "editorial". http://abekislevitz.com/gopro-hero7-black/

And you can be pretty sure that the Hero8 will improve the stabilization yet again next year. :-)

Howevere it's easy to agree that the Hero's could have much more advanced options and modes like you suggest. The ability to turn off noise reduction i.e. is one of them. However, GoPro are targeting "everyday dads" and not cinematographers.

Nomad

@agilestoke40735

But you have clarified my point here.

"GoPro are targetting everyday dads" - This is my point. The everyday dad who is recording something will be very dissapointed to find his footage is unusable because of Hypersmooth's panning problems.

Hiker

this is a running test with HyperSmooth..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IBT-NOx9EY

...slow panning result with same "jumping" frames....
Adventurer

@quickhero77554 wrote:

@agilestoke40735

But you have clarified my point here.

Actually, no. It doesn't clarify your point. The only point you seem to want to make is you think GoPro should change their implementation of stabilization.

Ok, got it. However, if anyone replies a different opinion, best use with current firmware, or optimism about future updates/cameras then you shoot them down. Why? Apparently because it's only your "point" that matters.

You know best. Thanks for the enlightenment. Can't wait to try ito the camera you develope.

Nomad

@danielr15

I have never experienced someone so useless on any forum. You think you help with these comments but you don't.

I made a genuine point to start this thread and it was echoed by plenty of others. I made it clear what i thought the issue was and how it should be fixed. You however came along just sayin "there is no issue". BUT THERE IS. THAT'S WHY I MADE THE THREAD"

Again, if you have nothing useful to say, leave. It's sad that nobody else can voice there opinion on these forums without a huge backlash from you and a couple of others.

I don't care if you think this is the perfect camera. Nobody does. What I do care about is giving my feedback without you talking crap.

Adventurer

So as I follow. Battery thread and hyper zoom thread. Wish we see one thread of each. I did a slow pan can’t wait to see later my footage
Hiker

"The obvious panning problems on the Hero 7 are NOT normal. They are clearly worse than most cameras. I have used a lot of cameras with stabilisation and this does not happen near as bad, especially with optical stabilisation."

You are ignoring the flip side: none of the cameras you have used come even close to the stabilization capability of the Hero7 Black. You cannot walk and shoot with *any* camera, with IBIS or OIS or EIS. Not even close to what you *can* do with the 7. So, you are correct - the panning issue of stabilization for the 7 is worse than all other cameras, precisely because the in-camera stabilization of all other cameras is much weaker. OIS is the weakest, so the panning problem is less. The Hero7 stabilization is NOT normal, it is far better, so its panning issue is NOT normal too.

I agree that making it convenient to select a lower level of stabilization or none so one can pan smoothly would be worthwhile, and is likely easily doable.

Or, you can go back to your other cameras and stand very, very still while you shoot, and pan to your heart's delight from one fixed position.