Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero 7 Black GPS (and Quik)

[ New ]

I tried today to test out how Hero 7 GPS data works. Looks like it has "some" issues. Smiley Very Happy Everything was completly wrong!

I had to try out GoPro Quik to pull those GPS overlays out. This was my first and last time to use Quik. Mainly beacuse of lousy export quality.

Following clip is 2.7K 60fps. The camera and GPS had been on approx 30 minutes before I recorded this clip. In my opinion that should be enough to GPS register you location.

GoPro

Re: Hero 7 Black GPS (and Quik)

[ New ]

Hi @mika7171

The GPS overlay issue is already being worked on by the team in charge.

For additional reference, would you be able to share the raw file of this video you have shared?

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi @aragon1006

Here's link to raw file:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15L-qrBpZt7bmsbfcQBLz-MdCvoBvL_oI

Say when you got it and I'll remove it from my Google Drive.

Tourist

[ New ]
Same exact issue here. GPS and telemetry data completely unusable and off. This is true for each of the gauges, looking forward to hearing news about when this will be fixed. Telemetry is one of the key reasons why I purchased this camera
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @mika7171

Thank you for sharing the file.

To isolate the issue further, would you be able to run the same file and add GPS stickers, no need to open it via create mode.

While on the View option in Quik, double click on the file. 

At the bottom of the screen, you should see 4 icons. Select "Add Gauges".

For reference:

How to Use Gauges in Quik for Desktop

Kindly try it as well @bluewave512

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi @aragon1006

I was able to run the file and add GPS stickers. GPS speed started from 3kph (~2mph) and started rise from there as seen on my YouTube video.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @mika7171

Thanks for checking it out.

We have raised this to the team in charge.

I'll post back on this thread as soon as I get an update.

Appreciate your patience on this.

Regards,

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]
How do you know off the GPS has a signal only used my hero7 black for the first time today
Tourist

[ New ]

I am having a similar issue. I can get the data overlay to work on my phone but not in Quik. The GPS telemetry is present as indicated by my phone. 

Tourist

[ New ]
I also just happened to notice that the .LRV files associated with the video file has a different name. EX:
GH010170.MP4
GH010170.THM
GL010170.LRV
Hiker

[ New ]

@littlebillI don't even have those .THM and .LRV files. My old GoPro Hero 3 do those files, but my Hero 7 don't.

Hiker

[ New ]

A few days ago I also posted a similar issue with importing files from H7Black into Quik on Mac. Quik only imports the .mp4 files, not the .wav or .thm or .lrv.

The only way to get ALL the files is by ejecting the micro sd card from H7Black and importing files via an external sd card reader. I never had this issue with Quik on the Hero 5 Black or Hero 4 Black.

Tourist

[ New ]

I havent used GoPro cameras for a couple of years, because I had so many issues with them, particularly on the software side. I just bought Hero 7 Black and prayed that it wouldnt have the same issues. Well, nothing has changed. It seems that GoPro continues the same path year after year.

They launch cameras out too soon, not testing cameras or software enough. Its very typical that there are a lot of firmware updates in the first 3-6 months, correcting issues GoPro knew wasnt working in the first place. In the past, I know that there were several features that were advertised but weren`t even working in the first firmware versions, which I call cheating. I find this very annoying and frustrating, buying features that arent working.

Ive used Contour, ReplayXD, Sony and several other action cam`s and Im still amazed how GoPro can continue playing around with their clients like this. After testing Quick software I can say I will not continue using it. Its a piece of **bleep**....

Ive done professional video productions since early 2000 and I remember one occasion where another team was shooting a car test in winter conditions. They had 4 GoPro´s fixed to the car and every single take had to be done several times as the cameras weren`t working. Some had battery issues, others stopped recording without a notice etc. I can still remember these guys explaining that if you use GoPro, please make sure that you double or triple the camers if you like to get something done.

According to the issues I found about Hero 7, it seems that I should have bought Garmin VIBR 30 instead...

Hiker

[ New ]

I don't use Quik at all, it is garbage. The big issue I have right now is the WAV audio being out of sync when using the pro mic adapter and external battery pack. This should have been solved before releasing the H7 Black.

Yeah, GoPro blew that one. Makes the H7 useless for pro work.

Tourist

[ New ]

Now I just started Quik the second time. Messed my computer totally. Never ever had any issues, until I installed this piece of **bleep**. I cant include the graphics which is a big point when I bought this. Will return it to the shop tomorrow and take Garmin VIRN instead.

Never ever GoPro again!

Tourist

[ New ]

Any resolution yet?  I just get an ever increasing speedometer, while the elevation keeps increasing despite going downhill.  It looks like this was brought up a month ago.  Is it a hardware issue or a software issue?  Should we be looking to get our money back for the hardware?

Thanks

Original File:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-xQ2j1V5OPDA8r811dVJwiFTMNfH71tw/view?usp=sharing

Youtube video with telemtry stickers on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shkxx6vDB1E

You can see that the GPS is following the line in the top left, and when it reaches the end of that it seems to just lose all bearings.

Clearly I'm mountain biking downhill, yet the GPS claims I'm going uphill, and that I'm travelling at an ever increasing speed that tops out around 600km/h
Tourist

[ New ]

I noticed something else that was odd in the Info Cluster.  The time is ahead by 5 hours, despite the time being correct on the GoPro itself.  

Sightseer

[ New ]

I seem to have same issue with the time. I have correct time on camera and checked the sync time option in Quik. I changed it to not sync time and time is still about 5 hours off. 

Tourist

[ New ]
If I had to venture a guess, I would say that the clock for the cluster gauges is synchronized to satellite (GPS) time which would be GMT which is 5 hours ahead of EST. The camera’s internal clock has no input to the gauge cluster. That’s just a theory but it sounds plausible.
Tourist

[ New ]

I just received my Hero7 today. I purchased it primarily for track day use. The GPS overlay will not work on PC Quick (which is a horrendous piece of software). 

please update this problem - otherwise I'll be looking for a refund asap.

Sightseer

[ New ]
This might be obvious but, do you enable GPS setting in camera settings?
Tourist

[ New ]
Yes. It overlays speed in MPH on the phone, but can't change to KPH, and the editing is shocking. Not to mention large, high res footage can't be handled by a phone. On the PC, the option doesn't appear in order to apply the overlay. In an ideal world the GoPro itself would provide option to overlay telemetry on recording to stamp onto mp4 file, so users can choose to completely avoid Quik. I have a good PC which is great for editing in other software, but Quik is unusable. It applies music by default to my videos - what were they thinking!
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi Everyone!

We are still working on the GPS information issue.

In the mean time, you may use RaceRender or Dahsware to overlay telemetry. 

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

thanks Ej. I read that Dashware does not work on Hero 7, but RaceRender looks good.

quick question - do I simply eject memory card, and copy all files to the PC, for use in one of these third party softwares?

Tourist

[ New ]

neither of those pieces of software say they support Hero 7 :(

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @mattw8048

See if the steps posted by yannc168 will work on your HERO7 Black files.

Instructions are on this thread.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

thanks - I think for now I will extract all files from my camera after recording, save, and wait for a proper solution.

Tourist

[ New ]

guys - i've sorted this. 

watch this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AJa4d52wPw

you need to move the new GoPro Hero 7 data profile into Dashware, works perfect.

Cheers.

Matt

DashWare program használata Gopro Hero7 Black kamerával-
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @mattw8048,

Thanks for sharing!

Tourist

[ New ]

good evening I have the same problem with my gopro hero 7 black data gps er g-force are not accurate. when I drive at 40 km / h the gopro shows 10 km / h