Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black Freezing

I have the GoPro Hero 7 Black and I've been having issues with freezing since I've had the camera. The freezing happens 90% of the time when my camera moves from landscape to portrait. I'm using the sleeve + lanyard case, which is ideal when I'm with my family and when I grab it to take a photo, I see a frozen image on the screen. My GoPro begins to get hot and the only solution is to remove the battery and re-insert. I've reached out to support through chat, walked through all sorts of troubleshooting and it still freezes. They suggested it could be the memory card, however the memory card I use came in the GoPro package. 32gb Sandisk Extreme.

GoPro's response: 
I need a memory card that is compatible for the Hero7 Black and that they are not responsible for the memory cards that come in the packages sold at retailers (ski shops, Best Buy etc..)

My Questions:

1. Why would the GoPro get hot if the memory card isn't built for the 7 Black?
  2. Why include a memory car that isn't compatible? Sorry, but saying GoPro isn't responsible for the memory cards included in the package is laughable. Someone at GoPro should be monitoring and ensuring retailers are following your guidelines and best practices. After all it is your reputation. Additionally, the memory card was sealed in GoPro packaging.

I've been a huge supporter since my first Hero 3 and now I'm questioning my loyalty. I don't even want to bother using my GoPro sometimes because this is so frustrating. I'm seeing a lot of freezing issues and that is quite concerning. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @jonc1015

Please refer to the information shared by @irishmanpdx on this thread regarding the use of recommended SD cards.

Information regarding recommended SD cards is available on https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

SD cards are sold separately and is not included in the camera package.

Retailers set their own promotions/package with the camera. This is something beyond our control.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi EJ,

Thanks for your response. It was appreciated, however, I'm still not 100% sure I can accept this answer. I've attached a picture of the packaging. 

1. If packaging is out of your control, then why would GoPro include an image onto the GoPro branded packagaging? It's not like the retailer put a sticker on there. This looks like something GoPro packaged and sent to the retailer to sell.
  2. Why wouldn't GoPro include a discalaimer on the packaging if they were concerned that a retailer such as Best Buy would include a memory card that isn't compatible?
  3. The 32 GB card looks like it is one of one of the compatible cards in the link you provided. Unable to attach more than one photos, but happy to send

I honestly think GoPro owes their customers a better explanation. Maybe Nick Woodman can elaborate what is happening here because nobody seems to provide the right answer. My Hero 3+ is more reliable at this point. Do you think Apple would like their loyal users saying they would rather pick up the iPhone 4 right now?

There is no perfect action cam, but these are big issues. Unfortunately I may have give Yi or DJI a chance next time I look to upgrade. I'm sure I'm not the only one so I think you should correct this. I'm happy to join the Marketing or R&D team at GoPro and help solve these issues. Just let me know who I can send my resume to because I'm passionate about technology and ensuring things are released to the public properly. 

Thanks!

IMG_0910.jpg
Highlighted
GoPro

[ Edited ]

Hi @jonc1015

Thank you for sharing the picture. We'd like to look into this further.

To confirm, was this camera purchased from Best Buy?

Would you be able to send a picture of the SD card included?

While the card maybe compatible there are users reporting about card authenticity.

Once checked with the manufacturer, some were advised that the cards are counterfeit.

In the mean time, see if re-flashing the software will make a difference.

Most freezing issues are cleared by doing this.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi EJ,

I want to clarify that I bought this at a local well reputable ski shop. I gave Best Buy as an example because it is the same exact packaging. 

I've attached a picture for review. What is re-flashing? I re-formatted my card after my support call.

IMG_0913.jpg
Highlighted
GoPro

Thanks for getting back to us. @jonc1015

Re-flashing means a manual software update,

Please refer to https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero7-black

Let us know how it goes.

By the way, which store did you get it from? 

Regards,

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

I'm having the same issue as @jonc1015. On another GoPro recommended card. I thought I will do a manual update, but the manual update option seems to have been removed from the web page?
Highlighted
Explorer

It's there. You need to go to this page on your computer
https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero7-black
and then under the heading "Other ways to Update" select the manual update.