Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Hero 7 Black Freezing

[ New ]
So I just bought a GoPro Hero 7 Black the other week. I used to have a Hero 4 Silver and my new GoPro is freezing up all the time. Especially if I have the app paired to my phone and then try and take pictures by either hitting the remote shutter on my phone or the GoPro shutter it will freeze up the camera after a few photos. Especially if I go back to the media once I swipe thru a couple of photos the entire camera freezes up and I have to pull the battery. I’m hoping this just needs an update as I never had this problem with my Hero 4 Silver. Also my camera is up to date on all software and I do have an approved SD card so I know it’s not either of those issues.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Hero 7 Black Freezing

[ New ]

Hello @bravedive3136. The manual update option only shows up on a computer because it cannot be done on a mobile device. Also, please make sure that you are using a recommended SD card like ones on this list. The Ultra card is known to cause issues with the camera that is why it is not recommended. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @fitfly12,

If you have not done it yet, try manually updating your new camera. This is even if the camera may already have the latest firmware. Please  find the instructions below as guide. 

1. Go to the Update page and choose your HERO7 camera.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system. 

Make sure that your camera is fully charged and that the SD card is formatted prior to updating. Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Nomad

[ New ]
May I update manually if I already updated to 1.51 by app ? Can I update many times to the same version but diffrent ways ?
Explorer

[ New ]
Once updated, you can re-load the firmware as many times as you like, but only manually.
Adventurer

[ New ]

One of hte things we donot do is   simply turn offour phones to restart and thetroubles go away due to a glitch or something incorrectly hanging.  Since we are wit hthe H7B Try to take hte sdxc card nevermentioned of  what brand and Full format, whiledoing so, then test out the camera, since there is no internal memory for photo or video you can play around going through settings etc. and if it freezes, like said manually get the firmware and place in the three files to an update file folder and reload.  fw 1.51  or until a newer firmware is released, if hte troubles are still tehre  youhave an option to 

Return, or replace depending o nthe time period you have with the purchase.  so pleasedo take thetime since you already owned a Hero silver you should know how to work it.

Tourist

[ New ]

I personally have several units ranging from hero, hero2, hero3B 5B, two 6B's and now 7B. and i have to say that I have these same issues. I have the latest updates,using a 32GB brand new micro Sd card. This thing is less than 15 days old and yesterday alone it froze up 9x on me. Pity too because I traded a hero 5B that worked PERFECTLY  for this.

Be sure to check your screen constantly, and i do mean constantly, or have it where ou can see it, to ensure the unit is still operating. even at 720P. If it does freeze on you, my experience has been that you have to open the battery door, break the connection for about 5 seconds and then replace it, close the door, and power the unit back up. nothing else has worked for me. And this happened under a fairly wide array of conditions. 

Sure I know, buyer beware and all. So my advice, if you have a 5 or 6 and are thinking about a 7...be warned. it may not be all that you have hoped for. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have returned my H7B twice and the third device is no better. I have bought a new SD card and returned the same thinking that I need to elimate as many possibilities as I can. 

It is unfortunate that GoPro has not officialy come forward to admitting that there is a freezing issue.  

Hiker

[ New ]
@GoproSupport, the manual firmware download option disappeared from the hero7 firmware page.

i also have the freezeing problem. pretty frequently...
i am usually making short 20-40sec recordings. 1 of 8 attempts the camera stucks at the point where the camera shows the length of the recording and takes forever to get through this point. then it shows the total number of recordings on the card and freezes there. have the latest firmware, already manually updated once, i use 64g sandisk ultra card, 1080p60fps.

this is a very annoying problem, while the video quality is stunning, if the moment was recorded...
Tourist

[ New ]

Ok, so quick follow up a little over a m onth later. Still no improvement on the freezing, even with new cards and the appropriate updates. Quality will be good in the end result. So, if you can keep it from freezing by monitoring and breaking that battery connection, maybe you can get by tuntil the 8 comes out and trade the 7 up because this simply isn't goign to improve. However, not going to lie...if they offered me a chance to trade this 7 in on a 6 I would do it without blinking. 

Explorer

[ New ]
Log into the GoPro.com website (click the icon of the silhouette person top right). After logging in, go back and choose settings. From there, go to devices. If you're camera isn't listed you can add it with the serial number. Locate your camera and then click on "Download Update". You will be able to save the UPDATE.zip file.

Extract the UPDATE folder to your computer. Insert your SD card in your computer and format (Full not Quick). Once done, copy the UPDATE folder (not UPDATE.zip) to the SD card and eject.

Insert the SD card in your camera and then power on using the side Mode/Power button.
Hiker

[ New ]

Edit: Manual update option shows up on PC, but not under android.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @bravedive3136. The manual update option only shows up on a computer because it cannot be done on a mobile device. Also, please make sure that you are using a recommended SD card like ones on this list. The Ultra card is known to cause issues with the camera that is why it is not recommended. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks for the reply. The card came with the camera, I did not even considered that it could have been an issue. I will get one form the list. I hope that will solve it. I want to love this camera :)

Explorer

[ New ]
Ultra it's definitely NOT the card you want to be using. I've had good results with the Samsung Evo Select and mostly good results with SanDisk Extreme v30 (One SanDisk card out of five causes freezing issues).
Hiker

[ New ]

I dont want to be difficult here, but the list of supported SD cards that Gopro provides does not have valid sandisk card model numbers. there is only 2 that exist on sandisk.com site. is there an updated list? or I should just buy the currently available extreme or extreme pro card and they will come back to me and say it was not on the list? any suggestions?

Explorer

[ New ]
The list by GoPro are cards they tested with the camera. It's not the end all be all list of appropriate cards. Personally, I find the Samsung Evo Select from Amazon.com (be sure it's sold and fulfilled by Amazon) to be there best deal and offer great performance. SanDisk cards seem to be a little more hit and miss. I have five and one causes freezing issues. 20% failure is not a good indicator in my book. Granted, I only have three Samsung Evo Select, but they all work great.

Just get a 32 or 64 GB card. No point in spending money on more storage. The 32 & 64 GB cards are more reliable and the battery will die long before you can fill a 64 GB card. Plus, we still aren't 💯 that is not the camera giving you issues. However, until you use a good card, there is no way to be certain. 90% of the time, a new card and manual update solves the issues. We have three HERO7 Black cameras and one HERO7 White. All four work great.
Tourist

Betreff: Hero 7 Black Freezing

[ New ]
I have the same problem with a 7 black. This camera plus sw is useless like this. The old hero works perfectly the only reason to buy the 7 was possibility to easily shoot underwater pictures and videos.
Reading all these comments here shows that the divine and sw is a mess. Will return it and go for a dji
Explorer

[ New ]
DJI for underwater? LOL.
Adventurer

[ New ]

@danielr15 wrote:
DJI for underwater? LOL.

Still got your DJI

Un.png

Explorer

[ New ]
Still not for sale.

I had an Osmo Pocket. Had.
Adventurer

[ New ]

the  usb mic just was released, so yes the waterproof casing will besoon to .

Explorer

[ New ]
Oh, I know they have an ugly case that only allows flashlight view for their pulsing, focus hunting camera. Just nobody knows when it will be released.
Tourist

[ New ]
Guys, I was not aware that this is a "religious" topic here. Sorry
I am aware that I have to wait for the UW housing of the Pocket.
You mention that the Pocket is not focusing? Is this your own experience? You mentioned earlier you had the Pocket.
In that case it looks like both companies made great products and later start to mess it up?
Would be good to learn from you factual experience to avoid wasting money for the 2nd time...
(still I am really disappointed about the SW? quality of the 7 black)
Explorer

[ New ]

You came to a GoPro Support community and want to talk DJI. This isn't an action/underwater camera forum. However, here is my experience with Osmo Pocket.

Adventurer

[ New ]

My experience with GoPro and DJI     wait for the next generation models to come out and see if any improvments from other members Here. the Hero 8  should all be fixed, as wel lDJI pocket II  . my experience  with them.

Hiker

[ New ]

No, I won't buy any new Gopro before this issue is fixed for the 7. They have to earn my trust before I give them any more money.

Adventurer

[ New ]

@blueridge0012 wrote:
Guys, I was not aware that this is a "religious" topic here. Sorry
I am aware that I have to wait for the UW housing of the Pocket.
You mention that the Pocket is not focusing? Is this your own experience? You mentioned earlier you had the Pocket.
In that case it looks like both companies made great products and later start to mess it up?
Would be good to learn from you factual experience to avoid wasting money for the 2nd time...
(still I am really disappointed about the SW? quality of the 7 black)

A company Like Kodak taken  a camera and posted to Youtube for 6 months and  the camera did not  go public until all flaws were worked out. they then released the ZI8.  GoPro   did something like that as wel lDJI but Kodak did it the right way back then if asked.

SO are you wasting $$ if you go to DJI, or gopro, that  will be up to you I feel DJI needs more time, as well gopro, and more  you read here about troubles  because this is a forum mostly about troubles, support.  I have had  more defects, issues, complaints over the compliments, perfect camera's  etc.

And on ANy forun help always wins over raves

the Hero 7 black is an awesome camera to have, Oct 2019 is around the corner and not a single word will get released from gopro about it.  good luck on your choice?

Tourist

[ New ]

"No, I won't buy any new Gopro before this issue is fixed for the 7. They have to earn my trust before I give them any more money."

Amen!

Adventurer

[ New ]

yeah the Hero 7  firmwares will eventually end  maybe one more and hero 8 takes over  .

Explorer

[ New ]
It's disappointing to hear when people have issues with their camera and are unable to get it resolved. Sadly, this seems to be true with just about any camera or piece of tech. My experience with three HEEO7 Black and one HERO7 White has been great and I use them 3-4 times a week minimum. Luckily, this send to be the case for the vast majority and the reviews continue to be great. There still is no other camera that offers so much with incredible stabilization at a very low price.

If course, for those having issues, this all means very little, and I don't blame you for having your confidence lost. Hopefully GoPro can help you to resolve your issue or a competitor can come out with a device that suits your needs.

While it's certainly probable that there will be a HERO8 released in 2019, none of us really know. Most likely there will be another firmware update for the HERO7 Black before then. I do suggest getting a replacement if you're having issues and of course, using a recommended card sold be a reputable store and manually updating. It's also a good idea to format the card in the camera before every shoot and periodically performing a FULL (not quick) format in your computer followed by in the camera.

Per the safety instructions & warranty that comes with every camera, try to use your camera at temperatures that are neither in the hot or cold range (if you do, make efforts to keep the camera at normal temperatures). In the extreme hot or cold temperatures, the camera and battery will have a reduction in performance.

Also, make sure you are playing back your videos on a system that can handle processing your videos. I'm not saying it's the case here, but I've often come across people complaining that their video stops playing and the audio continues during playback (not just with GoPro cameras), and often it's just their computer and/or media player (especially with HEVC).
Adventurer

[ New ]

Oh no complaints here.    there is a log or  is there a log report.  lets say if gopro  logs every single detail, and when a issue does  come about, all gopro has to do is say  can I see the log report.  and then  determine  that your camera is indeed a fluke.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hero 7 freezing is directly related to the low light setting. If I have low light setting turned OFF the camera works flawlessly. I found this out after two replacements on a week old camera. I was promised over and over the replacment would not have a freezing issue. The next phone call I was promised a replacement will fnot suffer the same issue. I can reproduce the freezing within 30 seconds of havging the low light setting turn ON over and over and over.  Turn the low light setting OFF and no freezing for a 2 hour hike. This is a firmware issue that they don't want to take ownership of. I'm making one more phone call tomorrow and if I can't get anywhere back it goes to GoPro for a refund. Now I wonder how they'll return the Hero 3+ I trded in?

Explorer

[ New ]
Trade in cameras are not returned. It's in the trade in agreement.
Tourist

[ New ]

And that is the main reason why the "trade in" is not worth it.

Now I'm stuck with the 7 AND I lost the 5 (which worked perfectly by the way) with no hope of return. Well...fool me once.

Sightseer

[ New ]
I have the same issue. It’s really irritating to have to deal with this problem with a GoPro strait out of the box.
GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to hear about the trouble, @macabem58866. If your camera is already running on the latest firmware and is using a recommended SD card, please get in touch with our Support team so they can walk you through the next steps. You may reach them by phone or chat at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs. Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

There is a serious flaw with this camera and GoPro will not admit to this cameras design/manufacturing failures. No SD card, SD format or "manual firmware update" will fix these issues.

This I promise you, you will not ever, as in never, receive a refund. The refund period is ONLY 30 days from purchase from GoPro.  And IF you request a refund during this time they will not do so and tell you that your MUST accept a warranty replacement. By the time all of this happens your 30 day window will have expired. So, their internal policies are such that you WILL NEVER RECEIVE A REFUND. 

I have been round and round with GoPro and am on my FIFTH camera in 67 days. I currently have a case open with my credit card company, have contacted the consumer protection agency (Federal Trade Commission) and am about to contact my states Attorney General. 

Good luck.

Hiker

[ New ]

hi,

After replacing the card with a sandisk extreme 64G the freezing is kind of gone, except every ~10th video takes forever to write to the card. about ~30sec is shows the lenght on the LCD then an other 30sec it shows how many wideo files I have on the card. then it is done.

I want to love my gopro, I always buy the latest version. I am the ideal gopro customer.... BUT! when I am looking at the Osmo action reviews and what they bring up against gopro is so trivial things like the touchscreen is working as a touchscreen supposed to work or they managed to put the favourite configuration quick access function that makes me sad. why Gopro can not fix these tiny issues and stay on the throne? why they want to be the Nokia of action cams? buggy firmwares, unresponsive touchscreen, SDcard issues and I could go on. it would be ok with gopro version 1, but not after v7!! please get your **bleep** together, and protect your throne and make customers happy with your product!

Backpacker

[ New ]

glad you finally took everyones advice & can now see its the memory that was the issue all along, just not sure why your still thinking of a Osmo now tho

Hiker

[ New ]

it still does not seem stabil reading / writing the memory card. when I takes 60sec to save a 30 sec shoot, that is little worrying.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the GoPro Hero 7 Black and I've been having issues with freezing since I've had the camera. The freezing happens 90% of the time when my camera moves from landscape to portrait. I'm using the sleeve + lanyard case, which is ideal when I'm with my family and when I grab it to take a photo, I see a frozen image on the screen. My GoPro begins to get hot and the only solution is to remove the battery and re-insert. I've reached out to support through chat, walked through all sorts of troubleshooting and it still freezes. They suggested it could be the memory card, however the memory card I use came in the GoPro package. 32gb Sandisk Extreme.

GoPro's response: 
I need a memory card that is compatible for the Hero7 Black and that they are not responsible for the memory cards that come in the packages sold at retailers (ski shops, Best Buy etc..)

My Questions:

1. Why would the GoPro get hot if the memory card isn't built for the 7 Black?
  2. Why include a memory car that isn't compatible? Sorry, but saying GoPro isn't responsible for the memory cards included in the package is laughable. Someone at GoPro should be monitoring and ensuring retailers are following your guidelines and best practices. After all it is your reputation. Additionally, the memory card was sealed in GoPro packaging.

I've been a huge supporter since my first Hero 3 and now I'm questioning my loyalty. I don't even want to bother using my GoPro sometimes because this is so frustrating. I'm seeing a lot of freezing issues and that is quite concerning. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @jonc1015

Please refer to the information shared by @irishmanpdx on this thread regarding the use of recommended SD cards.

Information regarding recommended SD cards is available on https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

SD cards are sold separately and is not included in the camera package.

Retailers set their own promotions/package with the camera. This is something beyond our control.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi EJ,

Thanks for your response. It was appreciated, however, I'm still not 100% sure I can accept this answer. I've attached a picture of the packaging. 

1. If packaging is out of your control, then why would GoPro include an image onto the GoPro branded packagaging? It's not like the retailer put a sticker on there. This looks like something GoPro packaged and sent to the retailer to sell.
  2. Why wouldn't GoPro include a discalaimer on the packaging if they were concerned that a retailer such as Best Buy would include a memory card that isn't compatible?
  3. The 32 GB card looks like it is one of one of the compatible cards in the link you provided. Unable to attach more than one photos, but happy to send

I honestly think GoPro owes their customers a better explanation. Maybe Nick Woodman can elaborate what is happening here because nobody seems to provide the right answer. My Hero 3+ is more reliable at this point. Do you think Apple would like their loyal users saying they would rather pick up the iPhone 4 right now?

There is no perfect action cam, but these are big issues. Unfortunately I may have give Yi or DJI a chance next time I look to upgrade. I'm sure I'm not the only one so I think you should correct this. I'm happy to join the Marketing or R&D team at GoPro and help solve these issues. Just let me know who I can send my resume to because I'm passionate about technology and ensuring things are released to the public properly. 

Thanks!

IMG_0910.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @jonc1015

Thank you for sharing the picture. We'd like to look into this further.

To confirm, was this camera purchased from Best Buy?

Would you be able to send a picture of the SD card included?

While the card maybe compatible there are users reporting about card authenticity.

Once checked with the manufacturer, some were advised that the cards are counterfeit.

In the mean time, see if re-flashing the software will make a difference.

Most freezing issues are cleared by doing this.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi EJ,

I want to clarify that I bought this at a local well reputable ski shop. I gave Best Buy as an example because it is the same exact packaging. 

I've attached a picture for review. What is re-flashing? I re-formatted my card after my support call.

IMG_0913.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks for getting back to us. @jonc1015

Re-flashing means a manual software update,

Please refer to https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero7-black

Let us know how it goes.

By the way, which store did you get it from? 

Regards,

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
I'm having the same issue as @jonc1015. On another GoPro recommended card. I thought I will do a manual update, but the manual update option seems to have been removed from the web page?
Explorer

[ New ]
It's there. You need to go to this page on your computer
https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero7-black
and then under the heading "Other ways to Update" select the manual update.
Hiker

[ New ]
I had the same problem. The option does not show up on Mobile device..
Explorer

[ New ]
Technically, it can be downloaded on a mobile device by scrolling to the bottom of the web page and changing the preference from Mobile to Full, however, it's best done from a computer.