Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black Freezing

Ok, so quick follow up a little over a m onth later. Still no improvement on the freezing, even with new cards and the appropriate updates. Quality will be good in the end result. So, if you can keep it from freezing by monitoring and breaking that battery connection, maybe you can get by tuntil the 8 comes out and trade the 7 up because this simply isn't goign to improve. However, not going to lie...if they offered me a chance to trade this 7 in on a 6 I would do it without blinking. 

Highlighted
Explorer

Log into the GoPro.com website (click the icon of the silhouette person top right). After logging in, go back and choose settings. From there, go to devices. If you're camera isn't listed you can add it with the serial number. Locate your camera and then click on "Download Update". You will be able to save the UPDATE.zip file.

Extract the UPDATE folder to your computer. Insert your SD card in your computer and format (Full not Quick). Once done, copy the UPDATE folder (not UPDATE.zip) to the SD card and eject.

Insert the SD card in your camera and then power on using the side Mode/Power button.
Hiker

Edit: Manual update option shows up on PC, but not under android.

GoPro

[ Edited ]

Hello @bravedive3136. The manual update option only shows up on a computer because it cannot be done on a mobile device. Also, please make sure that you are using a recommended SD card like ones on this list. The Ultra card is known to cause issues with the camera that is why it is not recommended. 

Hiker

Thanks for the reply. The card came with the camera, I did not even considered that it could have been an issue. I will get one form the list. I hope that will solve it. I want to love this camera :)

Explorer

Ultra it's definitely NOT the card you want to be using. I've had good results with the Samsung Evo Select and mostly good results with SanDisk Extreme v30 (One SanDisk card out of five causes freezing issues).
Hiker

I dont want to be difficult here, but the list of supported SD cards that Gopro provides does not have valid sandisk card model numbers. there is only 2 that exist on sandisk.com site. is there an updated list? or I should just buy the currently available extreme or extreme pro card and they will come back to me and say it was not on the list? any suggestions?

Explorer

The list by GoPro are cards they tested with the camera. It's not the end all be all list of appropriate cards. Personally, I find the Samsung Evo Select from Amazon.com (be sure it's sold and fulfilled by Amazon) to be there best deal and offer great performance. SanDisk cards seem to be a little more hit and miss. I have five and one causes freezing issues. 20% failure is not a good indicator in my book. Granted, I only have three Samsung Evo Select, but they all work great.

Just get a 32 or 64 GB card. No point in spending money on more storage. The 32 & 64 GB cards are more reliable and the battery will die long before you can fill a 64 GB card. Plus, we still aren't 💯 that is not the camera giving you issues. However, until you use a good card, there is no way to be certain. 90% of the time, a new card and manual update solves the issues. We have three HERO7 Black cameras and one HERO7 White. All four work great.