Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Hero 7 Black FW 1.61 disappointing issues.

I use my H7B mainly for livestreaming over wifi.

The Hero streams over 2.4ghz wifi  straight to a pc with a nginx rtmp server running so there is no cellular data in the equation.

Since installing 1.61 I am now experiencing these issue.

Bugs

-NEW The battery will not charge, when plugging in a external charger the Hero's battery will drain slower but it will still drain using any cable on my powerbank that outputs 5V-3.0A. On previous firmware the camera would charge right up while streaming.

-NEW The charge icon does not appear when live and on an external power source anymore(Maybe this was done on purpose,however it kind of leaves us guessing as to whats happening now).

-NEW The streamed image goes all blocky and green requiring the stream to be stopped and started, 6 hours of streaming and it happened twice.

-NEW When the battery eventually gets low but not flat the stream just dies for no good reason, restarting only works for a few seconds then stream dies again, even fully restarting the gopro and removing the battery and putting it back in would not help.

-OLD HDMI output with stabilisation still has audio desync, how can this of not been fixed?

-OLD If the battery is 100% and you use external power source the stream still dies at random intervals.

Features that would be really handy in the next update.

-The Gopro should retain its live streaming settings and have a button on the screen to start the stream, it is very slow and cumbersome to have to pull out your phone and then change wifi networks and resetup the stream again just to continue streaming after having an issue, literally a one and a half minute job versus just pressing "START STREAM AGAIN".

- On cellular ,selectable bitrate would be great instead of the gopro stuttering for the first few minutes of streaming while it attempts to work out its optimal bitrate which also causes it to go too low if you are streaming in bad areas and then never coming back up when you get to better cell reception areas, its an ACTION CAMERA ... I will be moving around with it... signal will change.

-How about some more streaming options like 60fps and maybe 1080p? I assume a camera that can encode 4k h265 has the processing power to at least create a 1080p/60fps h264 stream.

Its just very dissapointing that I can use and old camera like the 2 year old sony-as300 with hdmi output  get stabilisation with synced audio, no battery issues and go stream all day versues the H7B which has issues in all departments.

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 Black FW 1.61 disappointing issues.

"Bugs

-NEW The battery will not charge, when plugging in a external charger the Hero's battery will drain slower but it will still drain using any cable on my powerbank that outputs 5V-3.0A. On previous firmware the camera would charge right up while streaming."

Are You telling, Your GP WAS able to charge battery, while recording, with previous fw??

I've got two units, which are not charging at all.

Fw 1.5 & 1.6.

Battery will go down to 1%. 

Even with QC, 3A power supply & cable, rated to 60W.

Highlighted
Hiker

Yes, I used to livestream until the battery was low, then plug in external charger and keep streaming then the battery would go up, in fact I had to be careful to not let it get to 100% else the gopro would usually crash if it got to 100%. Now on new firmware it just never goes up.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

I'll second the Restart Stream suggestion it's very cumbersome to restart the stream when something goes wrong. 

I'll take it a step further and say that there should be an auto-reconnect option, espeically if I've select the Save a High Quality copy option. It's an action camera and it should be set it and forget it, really sucks when you setup a capture and then find that you don't even have an off line copy because the live stream failed 2 minutes into the shot.

I did not notice the charging issue with FW 1.61, I do know that mine did charge while live streaming with the old FW. I'll watch the charge the next time I'm shooting. 

I'd really love to be able to use the zoom setting with live streaming, even if I can only set it at the start, most of my filming would be better with a narrower FOV. 

Highlighted
Hiker

I'm starting to lose faith that gopro will do anything about these issues, they don't repond to live streaming issues, they don't respond to live streaming suggestions. I'll just make a video about the gopro 7 failures put it on youtube and return this thing for a full refund.