Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Hero 7 Black External Power Issue

[ Edited ]

When recording 4K or 2.7K video OR hyperlapse with an external USB powerbank (Anker), the camera will stop recording after a few seconds. This occurs intermittently, sometimes it records just fine, but not always.

I am using the official GoPro USB-C cables that came with the cameras. The recording error happens with my Anker Power Bank and also when plugged into a 2.1 Amp car cigarette USB power plug.

Firmware is v1.5.1 and I am using one of the recommended Samsung Evo Plus 128GB MB-MC128GA/AM cards. Firmware was manually updated via sd card. I did a full format on the microsd cards on the computer and then also formatted in-camera.

Tested this on both of my new Hero 7 Blacks. Sometimes they record just fine with external power and other times they both stop recording after a few seconds.

Using the internal battery ONLY, both H7B’s record video & hyperlapse just fine….until the battery dies 40-50 minutes later.

Never had any external power issues on my Hero 5 Black or Hero 4 Black, both worked flawlessly and I was able to leave the cameras on 12 hours a day.

Please add this issue to the next H7B firmware update.

Thanks in advance!

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 7 Black External Power Issue

Hi @thorsteno1,

Thanks for letting us know.

I just want to know if you already tried resetting the camera and try to install a new firmware update. 

https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/software-update-instructions-for-hero7-cameras

Regards,

-Jay 

Highlighted
Hiker

Yes I did a full manual firmware update as per GoPro website instructions and a full camera reset. Hope this external power issue gets fixed soon since I would like to use these two new H7B's for my day job of shooting video content.

Highlighted
GoPro

Got it @thorsteno1.

Thanks for letting us know. 

We'll keep you posted. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Highlighted
Nomad

@graytree76514

I'm having the same issue. I'm using a 24000mAh power bank made by OUTXE. I used it with my hero 5 and 6 with no problems. (I still use it with those 2 cameras). When I use it with the hero 7, the camera shuts off randomly. But sometimes it has no issues. Twice, I have lost ALL of the videos off of the camera. Yes, I've done the factory reset / manual update. I'm using the Samsung EVO 128GB memory card that's on the approved list. GoPro please fix this glitch. I can't be losing my footage.

Highlighted
Nomad

Just a note: The hero 7 doesn't work with my Digipower - Re-fuel Lithium-Ion Battery

external power pack either. It locks up every single time. The hero 6 doesn't work either. But the hero 5 works fine with it. 

Highlighted
Hiker

this depends on how the power is plugged in mine ..gopro7 and gopro 5.. if i plug it in to a power source then hit record it will get a few seconds of recording then stop... but only if i start recording first then plug the power in then it will carry on recording for a long time

Highlighted
Adventurer

Have any of you mention , taking out hte battery and  trying?