Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 Black External Power Issue

Lol, that the whole issue of this thread,  is that GoPro is messing up due to hooking it up to a external power source.

I am using a portable battery charger. Thats it.

Highlighted
Tourist

I had that issue when plugged in with the super charger from go pro for a while so no, it’s not simply because people are using an external battery. I believe it’s to do with the cables and or the power output consistency of the external battery or power supply.

It’d be nice if the go pro camera would somehow tell you if it was receiving the proper amount of power when plugged in. Say having the charge % icon have an ! Point next to it if the power input alone was to low to support recording.
Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Hello, I have just bought the Hero7 Black and have the exact same issue as most people here. (Using external power supply (Anker 2.4A - https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powercore-20100/A1271012 ) The camera reboots everytime I try to record)

Do we have an ETA?

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @mathieupothier

See if the same happens when you leave the battery out and let the camera run off the external power source.

Let us know if this setup works for you.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

Try using the GoPRO charging cable that came with the GoPro box.

Generally, I use a Duracell powerbank with the GoPRO charging cable with my GoPro Hero 7 Black for 1.5 hours to 3 hours without any interruptions in recording.

Highlighted
Hiker

Third external power test seems to be a success again!

Used GoPro Hero 7 Black with Duracell power bank for night lapse for 1.5 hours and the recording was not interrupted at all.

The process was followed as mentioned below;

1. Connected the Duracell power bank(10000mAh) with the GoPro charging cable that came with the GoPro box
  2. Turned on GoPro with the fully charged battery loaded
  3. Finally, started recording. Ambient temperature: 30deg Celsius

Regards,

SG

IMG_4908.JPG
Highlighted
GoPro

This is great! Thank you for sharing, @sanug15018

@mathieupothier - Does the camera get too hot when before it shuts down? What is the output voltage and current of the external powersource that you are using? It would be best for it to be 5V, 1-2A as the camera requires. It is also important that the GoPro cable is used as it has been fully tested to work with the camera. Let us know how it goes after you test without the battery in. Thanks!

Highlighted
Tourist

I'm jumping in on this too as I've had similar problems trying to timelapse some construction for my workplace. After reading the whole thread it seems that the GoPro with no internal battery is very picky to external power sources. Some work, some don't.

It seems like best practices are to either a) have the GoPro OFF, connect the external battery, turn the GoPro ON, then record. or b) Have the GoPro ON, start recording, THEN connect it to external power. 

I just tested scenario b) for 3 minutes or so and got the best success I've had yet. Typically the GoPro would shut down or I'd get a "File Repaired" message after recording only 1 second of video. 

I'm about to go and hook it back up in the construction site and I'll report back.