Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 Black External Power Issue

Taking out the battery and recording does allow me to record. Is it a solution? Barely. But it works for ME

I quite surprised that this is still an issue and there has no been any follw up with GOPRO in regards to this. Its easily reproduceable.

Highlighted
Tourist

I can run my GoPro 6s in 4k @ 30fps with a big Anker battery for 10+ hours.

If I put a battery in the camera and do this, the Anker turns off when it thinks the camera battery is fully charged.

This switches the GoPro to the camera battery until it runs out, which is usually like 60-90 minutes.

This is bad when I need it to run 120+ minutes. I learned the hard way on day one.

If I want to use the Anker but keep the GoPro battery inside as backup, I use a USB LED light.

I wrapped some black electircal tape around it so you can't see it lit up.

It keeps the Anker alive until I am done with it.

I have not experienced the troubles I see people having here where it refuses to record.

Highlighted
Tourist

I've had the same issue both times I have tried recording with external power source on the factory USB-C cable. One was a timelapse video, one was a 1080p30 video. The timelapse only recorded for 5 seconds, the regular video file recorded for 6 minutes then the camera locked up and required the battery to be removed before it would respond.

Highlighted
Tourist

I have been having the same issue. If I try and start recording while plugged in to power it shuts off almost immediately. I have to turn the camera off via the cameras button, wait a moment, then turn it on, using the internal battery. Then start recording. Then I can plug in power to the unit after it’s recording. Very weird an unacceptable really.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @spirydusk61111 and @inkahauts. It is indeed weird for your cameras to stop recording almost immediately after starting when connected to an external power source. The power source is supposed to allow the cameras to record at an extended period of time - longer than the expected battery life after being fully-charged.

We tested with a few of the HERO7 Black units that we have and we were able to record successfully in both Time Lapse Video and regular Video (1080p, 30 fps as described n post) modes. Cameras were running on v1.70, with battery in and connected to an external power source with output of 5V,1.5A prior to recording.

We were able to record for at least 15 minutes resulting to a minute of time lapse video, and at least 10 minutes of regular recording. No freezing was observed and cameras were stopped manually to end the recording. All cameras used 32-GB SanDisk Extreme micro SD cards. All setups used the USB-C charging cable that came with the package. 

If you haven't done it yet, try re-flashing camera firmware and doing factory reset (in this order) and test camera again. Which SD cards are you using? Are they among the recommended ones on this list? What is the voltage-current output of the external power source that you are using? We hope to hear back from you. Feel free to post back for any question or concern. We did not check hours' worth of recording considering the issue that you both described on your posts. Thanks!

Highlighted
Tourist

Bought GoPro7 Last month

Facing same issue.

Waiting for a solution

Highlighted
Tourist

Well, seems I may have found my particular issue. I was using the GoPro super charger, so didn’t think that was the issue, and appears it is not. But I did try a different cable and that seems to have fixed the issue. So I am thinking the cable and length of cable can cause this issue, at least in some situations.
Highlighted
Hiker

Will the original GoPRO USB-C charging cable that came in the box help?  Will it help Hero 7 with Duracell powerbank? The cables that you mentioned are not available in our region