Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 7 Black External Power Issue

Appreciate the update, @fireymesa58577. It is odd for the camera to be showing such warning message when no battery is in. It would be best to engage our Support team for further assistance on this matter. When you do, have your camera and other details handy, or refer them to this thread so they what you are observing, as well as what you have already done in terms of troubleshooting. You may reach the team by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . 

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello, I ran into the exact same problems listed within this thread.

It's definately not a thermal problem (happens with just powered up GoPros at ~20°C).

I tried all sorts of things. Up till now with no permanent success. (Because the problem with external power supply are erratic/random/not 100% reproducible, it's hard to come to definate conclusions when testing.)

Dear GoPro-Team: Please inform us how to avoid - one and for all - those external usb-powering problems!

I have already wasted a lot of time.

IMO quality control and investigating problems is YOUR job, not mine.

Please tell us, whether it is

- due to cables

- due to the order (of powering up / start recording / plugging in powerbank) [which would be very bad!]

- battery type

- SD-card

- GoPro-Settings

- etc.

Please provide transparent clarification!

We wasted a lot of time and lost a lot of footage with several GoPro Hero 7 powered by external BatteryPacks (using only quality cables and quality power packs).

Thx.

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

I thought I was the only one with this issue. I contacted Gopro and they sent me a new camera. And I ran into the same issue. I was using an An Anker with the official GoPro usec cable. And I ran into issues.

I noticed that when the charge hits 100 that's also when it starts messing up.

This is crazy. Because I need to use it with a power bank and I thought about getting the digipower. But a reviewer ran into the same issue.

Highlighted
Hiker

I've recorded the issue to help illustrate the issues we are experiencing. 

https://youtu.be/ZWiG-idf5fo https://youtu.be/869QiUuekcw

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Highlighted
Hiker

I've recorded the issue to help illustrate the issues we are experiencing. 

https://youtu.be/ZWiG-idf5fo https://youtu.be/869QiUuekcw to

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @floriana6026 @bikemivie

If you haven't already, try taking the battery out and let the camera record running off the power source.

See if the same happens.

We have already raised this issue to the team in charge.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Taking the battery out is NOT a real solution to the problem, because

a) in practice this option often is not feasable, because

• in some/our applications one switches between "GoPro without external battery" and "adding external battery", also while powered-up GoPro or even while recording.
  • An internal battery also serves as a "safety net" to ensure, problems with external power never can lead to problems. [Or better: This SHOULD serve as such a safety net, with a well-engineered product...]
  • Furthermore when you have the GoPro in a housing, it is extremely annoying/unproductive/unprofessional to constantly switch between "no internal battery" to "internal battery" all the time, because the device is not well-engineered!.

b) The tip to remove internal battery is no solution to the problem disussed here by definition, because the problem discussed here is obviously a problem with energy managmenent/distribution between external & internal power source.

Basically a device like an action cam needs a circuit board, which controls:

1. using internal battery for operation
  2. using external battery for operation
  3. using external battery for charging internal battery

Every smartphone/camera/..... or whatever similar device needs this.

Every device I ever used was able to handle the three needs outlined above.

Only GoPro (Hero6 and Hero7) has problems with this. This SUPER-SIMPLE and COMMON task of integrating internal battery and external (charging) power source was not properly handled by the engineers of GoPro. (That's a fact, not an assumption/attack!) GoPro is the only deviced I ever come across, whhere this SUPER-BASIC and COMMON task of internal & external power sources lead to:

• crashes/reboots
  • freezing

Imagine a smartphone which crashes/freezes just because you try to charge it!!! That's exactly what's happening with GoPro Hero 7!

I hope it is a problem which can be solved by software. But I'm afraid it's an amateurish designed hardware

NB: I'm really surprised, that GoPro seems to focus forces on things like sensor/image stabilization (things wich can be marketed...), but implements other BASIC things way below industry standard (wireless implementation/connection speed & stability, and this problem of some FUNDAMENTAL flaw in energy managment/charging when combining internal and external power)

Sorry for the longish text. I think the LEAST thing you could/should do now, is

• researching the problem
  • being transparent about it (instead of wasting more of our times by using us as beta-testers and letting us desperately guess what's exactly the cause for these (erratic) problems...)
  • helping us users/buyers by either:
  • - firmware update, if the problem can be solved by software
  • - telling us at least, what exactly triggers the problems, so that we know whether e.g. experimenting with cables/sd-cards/settings might help.

Would be nice, if you send this to internal quality control or/and technical department (there will be some tests in at least one renowned photo magazines mentioning exactly those problems; would look better if you responded with some help on your website/forums towards your customers IMO - actually this was the reason posting here: Allowing you to respond and give statements.)

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @floriana6026

Thank you for the additional information.

As stated above, this issue has been shared to the team.

Removing the battery while recording is just a suggestion.

Thanks!