Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black External Power Issue

Can confirm, scenario "b)" worked for me. I was able to timelapse for 2.5-3 hours with no issues. 

Highlighted
Tourist

I was fed up of workarounds. I bought an Osmo Action from DJI, it just works, everytime, with the same microSD, same USB cables and same power bank (which is 5V 2.4A max)

Highlighted
Hiker

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to buy an Osmo Action - had my Hero Black 7 die 5 minutes into recording today.  Hero Black 6 worked like a champ for the entire time.

This is a replacement Hero Black 7, and it looks like it's not any better than the first one they replaced.  2.7k/60/W.

Highlighted
Tourist

You should go ahead. I had the exact same problems as you and I got it replaced by Amazon. The replacement did the exact same thing.

The osmo just works everytime I need it.
Highlighted
Tourist

Wasted a lot of time for this.

Planning to buy osmo action. 

Highlighted
Hiker

Should I opt in for another replacvement camera?

Highlighted
Tourist

Has this issue been resolved?

My newly purchased GoPro hero 7 Black has this issue, which I can recreate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA2L6Gq6OQU

I can recreate this Ad nauseam!

Now if I had the scematics and a copy of the source...

My fix is to use a bench power supply!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Highlighted
Tourist

I'm disappointed that there is still no honest official statement about this faulty energy management. Still people out there figuring it out over and over again for themselves. Still no clear statements, which are the REASONS/constellations/triggers for the problems. (You have to do not just one test, but statistical ensemble - yes, this needs time and effort - and I expect, GOPRO doing this effort, not using it's customers as beta-testers.

On the other hand, I can understand, that GoPro don't want to acknowledge it in public. But it's unfair IMO to keep people trying and trying and wasting time with this unclear situation.

Anyway, we are going to sell all our (more than 10) GoPro Hero 7 cams. Simply not usable for professional use, too many inconsistencies/bugs. In so many respects, not just power management, but a lot of other things (e.g. wireless implementation etc. etc. etc.).

[If GoPro, you read this: I'm willing to help in the process of designing the sucessor and debugging/beta-testing. Not for free of course. But obviously you massively lack competent pro beta testers, so it might be in your very own interest. Unless your strategy is to skim revenues before going the Kodak-route...]

After many years of using a lot of different equipment, this is for sure the most disappointing device, having cost as so much time, just to find out over and over again: inconsistencies, unreliability, bugs, bad design, bad programming, bad usability.

Collegue pro photographers see it similarly, by the way.

And it seems to me, a lot of hobby/consumer users are running in just SOME of those problems (e.g. because they never use external power; mostly use the button to record; only record SHORT sequences) and somehow live with it's quirks or find workarounds. Or: They sometimes seem to think, as I found out lately, it's THEIR fault (using wrong cable/card/battery). Another thing we realized: Some users seem to think it's somehow their fault or kind of natural, if the camera hangs/doesn't work as expected, because it was too hot. When in fact many of those bugs are NOT overheating related. (This shows another problem: No transparent error logging/messaging: When the camera hangs, there's no way to find out, WHY exactly. Was it really overheating? etc. etc.).

Or in other words: It's good, that there is this overheating problem - it's the perfect excuse and covers up many design flaws... ;-)