Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 Black External Power Issue

checking taken batt out plugging in power source no led light so im guessing no needs battery in ...u want it for fpv flying

Highlighted
Adventurer

Thanks. the Hero 5 and hero 6 we can remove that battery& use thecamera.  Love t o hear @graytree76514 what he can find out why you're now not getting what  others are  able to do?   Hewould tel lyou that  already have dne Update the camera gain manually fw 1.51, and use a Lower   capacity card that is recmmended.

Just amazing how our smartphones you can plug-nplay gopro its complicated.

Highlighted
Hiker

When using an external powerbank, you will need a high quality USB-C to USB 2.0 cable. My HERO7 Black now records perfectly for 2 hours at a time. I tested this on 3 different mountain bike rides and no longer have ANY lockup issues Smiley LOL

The 2 cables that I can confirm 100% working are the Anker [2-Pack, 6ft] Powerline+ USB-C to USB-A, Double-Braided Nylon Fast Charging Cable and the the Anker Powerline+ USB-C to USB-A 2.0 Cable [10ft]

Both of these 6ft and 10ft cables have a 56k Ohm pull-out resistor which is required to work properly HERO7 Black externally via a USB power bank or car cigarette USB charger. The cheapo noname USB cables on Amazon DO NOT work properly because they do not meet the specific USB-C requirements.

In conclusion, change your cables to the linked Anker cables and you should be good to go Smiley LOL

Highlighted
Nomad

@thorsteno1 Thanks. I'll give this a try and report findings.
Highlighted
Hiker

i have some cheap type c cables from ebay and they work fine

Highlighted
Adventurer

I  will have to try this again b/c the camera I had was faulty, the new one came wit theh thickest usb type A not like the Hero 5 had skinny... so will see about aftermarkets and  resistor one's...

Highlighted
Nomad

I used a cable I bought from amazon. I ran the camera for about 2 hours off of external batter pack and had no problems. SO... maybe before, it was a bad cable I was using?? 

USB Type C Cable,JSAUX 3-Pack. 

Highlighted
Hiker

@tj311 wrote:

Just a note: The hero 7 doesn't work with my Digipower - Re-fuel Lithium-Ion Battery

external power pack either. It locks up every single time. The hero 6 doesn't work either. But the hero 5 works fine with it. 

That's weird, I have the Digipower Re-fuel and haven't had any problems, the longest video I shot with it is about 45 minutes.  The internal battery, was it made in Vietnam or China?  I pre-ordered mine so I got it right away and ordered extra batteries from Amazon which were made in Vietnam but the battery that came with the GoPro was made in China.  Only reason I mention this is there was a debate if the ones made in China were garbage as they were not charging all the way and seemed to lose their charge quickly.