Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 Black External Power Issue

Has this been fixed in the GOPRO 8?

This is an known issue and I'm wondering is it fair if me to request a 25 percent off and on top that 100 trade up. Or you think I can get at least 200 for the go pro?
Hiker

No way I'm touching the GoPro 8 until someone else verifies that it doesn't overheat, and that it can run reliably off an external power source.  My GoPro 7 has been effectively useless for me for anything besides indoor, air conditioned shoots under 2 hours.

I need 100% reliability when I have enough power, and enough SD card space.  Wondering if my camera has randomly decided to shut down in the middle of the action simply isn't tenable.

Tourist

I will get mine next week. If you go back in the posts, I was having the issue. So I’ll be glad to test and report back here.
Tourist

Exactly the reason why my go to GoPro camera is my 100% reliable Hero3 Black.

It has never given me ANY problems whereas the Hero7 is nothing but trouble. I am on my FOURTH Hero7 (3 replacements from GP)

and they all still have the same issues.

Hard to imagine that a once great camera company has unleashed such a POS camera to its loyal users.

I will NEVER buy another GP product but will continue to demand replacement H7s until my warranty expires.

Sad. Very sad.

Tourist

I totally agree !
never again... !

Tourist

[ Edited ]

@murkulat0r wrote:

I've done some further testing and found a possible solution. Whatever external power source (and its output) I used, looping video 1080p 120 fps did not work, when the battery was in the camera.

I tried two different external power sources (one with 3A output, the other with 1A and 2.1A outputs) and both of them worked perfectly with all these outputs when I 1) had removed the GoPro battery, 2) had turned wifi off and 3) was using the original GoPro cable. I have yet to test if enabling wifi affects this (makes it dysfuntion again).

So it seems that it is not possible to use the looping video 1080p 120fps when the battery is installed in the camera. I've ordered some new USB-C cables (mainly Ugreen brand off Aliexpress) because I need a 2 or 3 meter cable when using the GoPro for looping video with my headband.

And to add: the order in which the camera is turned on and the external power source connected to the camera makes no difference.

A friend of mine had similar problems and he told me that by connecting the external power source via the Microphone adapter solved the problem for him. I will also test this.

Btw, I measured the GoPro energy consumption and it withdrew 0.85-1.13A when recording looping video @ 1080p/120fps (wifi off).

I'll update my findings here.

I've got it working. The problem has something to do with power because I could not find ANY combinations where the camera would work with external power source if the internal battery was inside the camera.

So, I got Hero7 Black working perfectly with all of my external power sources without any problems, when

- I removed the internal battery and

- used either the GoPro original cable or a Ugreen cable (this and this work). Other cables probably work, too, but I had many USB-C cables which did not work.

It did not make any difference which port I used of the external power source (1A, 1.5A, 2.1A, 3A etc.). All of them worked.

Highlighted
Hiker

Any update