Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black External Power Issue

[ Edited ]

Is there any solution for this? I've tried using my GoPro Hero7 Black with four different power banks none of which work. They all have 2-3A outputs. The mode I'm trying to film with is 1080p 120fps looping video. I have a 3m USB-C cable.

The camera corrupts videos, then tries to repair them, shuts down at times, freezes etcetc. I always have to remove the camera battery and start again. I've tried plugging the cable at different times (camera on, camera off, recording started etc.) and nothing helps.

Tourist

Totally agree ! I have the exact same problems :(
Also had simaliar problems with the GoPro5 and 6 !!!

GoPro

Hello @murkulat0r. The HERO7 Black works with a power source of output 5V, 1-2A. Could it be that the higher current supplied by your power source is affecting the camera's performance? Also, we recommend using the charging cable that came with the camera package. Make sure as well that the camera runs with the latest firmware. A manual update will help clear any issue associated with the current installation.  

Which SD card are you using with the camera? Is it among the recommended ones on this list

GoPro

Hello @barriemacleod. What happens to your camera when connected to an external power source? Which source do you use? Does it provide the camera with the recommended 5V, 1-2A? Do you take the battery out of the camera when recording for an extended period of time? We hope to hear back from you. 

Tourist

@mariustanya wrote:

Hello @murkulat0r. The HERO7 Black works with a power source of output 5V, 1-2A. Could it be that the higher current supplied by your power source is affecting the camera's performance? Also, we recommend using the charging cable that came with the camera package. Make sure as well that the camera runs with the latest firmware. A manual update will help clear any issue associated with the current installation.  

Which SD card are you using with the camera? Is it among the recommended ones on this list

They have lower amp ports, too, which I've tried. 

I have the latest firmware and my memory cards are on the list (Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB SDSQXCY-128G-GN6MA). 

I will try to do manual update once more.

Tourist

Have you tried a much shorter cable? You could be losing to much power over 3m and that could be causing the issue. Also have you tried with and without a battery installed in the actual camera?
Hiker

Hi there,

Here's the solution that worked for my Hero 7 Black. Follow this post https://community.gopro.com/t5/forums/forumtopicprintpage/board-id/Cameras/message-id/102937/print-s...

Highlighted
Hiker

Hello there,

This solution worked for my GoPro Hero 7 Black. You can follow this blog post https://community.gopro.com/t5/forums/forumtopicprintpage/board-id/Cameras/message-id/102937/print-s...