Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero 7 Black External Power Issue

[ New ]

When recording 4K or 2.7K video OR hyperlapse with an external USB powerbank (Anker), the camera will stop recording after a few seconds. This occurs intermittently, sometimes it records just fine, but not always.

I am using the official GoPro USB-C cables that came with the cameras. The recording error happens with my Anker Power Bank and also when plugged into a 2.1 Amp car cigarette USB power plug.

Firmware is v1.5.1 and I am using one of the recommended Samsung Evo Plus 128GB MB-MC128GA/AM cards. Firmware was manually updated via sd card. I did a full format on the microsd cards on the computer and then also formatted in-camera.

Tested this on both of my new Hero 7 Blacks. Sometimes they record just fine with external power and other times they both stop recording after a few seconds.

Using the internal battery ONLY, both H7B’s record video & hyperlapse just fine….until the battery dies 40-50 minutes later.

Never had any external power issues on my Hero 5 Black or Hero 4 Black, both worked flawlessly and I was able to leave the cameras on 12 hours a day.

Please add this issue to the next H7B firmware update.

Thanks in advance!

GoPro

Re: Hero 7 Black External Power Issue

[ New ]

Hi @thorsteno1,

Thanks for letting us know.

I just want to know if you already tried resetting the camera and try to install a new firmware update. 

https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/software-update-instructions-for-hero7-cameras

Regards,

-Jay 

Hiker

[ New ]

Yes I did a full manual firmware update as per GoPro website instructions and a full camera reset. Hope this external power issue gets fixed soon since I would like to use these two new H7B's for my day job of shooting video content.

GoPro

[ New ]

Got it @thorsteno1.

Thanks for letting us know. 

We'll keep you posted. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Nomad

[ New ]

@jayr3438

I'm having the same issue. I'm using a 24000mAh power bank made by OUTXE. I used it with my hero 5 and 6 with no problems. (I still use it with those 2 cameras). When I use it with the hero 7, the camera shuts off randomly. But sometimes it has no issues. Twice, I have lost ALL of the videos off of the camera. Yes, I've done the factory reset / manual update. I'm using the Samsung EVO 128GB memory card that's on the approved list. GoPro please fix this glitch. I can't be losing my footage.

Nomad

[ New ]

Just a note: The hero 7 doesn't work with my Digipower - Re-fuel Lithium-Ion Battery

external power pack either. It locks up every single time. The hero 6 doesn't work either. But the hero 5 works fine with it. 

Hiker

[ New ]

this depends on how the power is plugged in mine ..gopro7 and gopro 5.. if i plug it in to a power source then hit record it will get a few seconds of recording then stop... but only if i start recording first then plug the power in then it will carry on recording for a long time

Adventurer

[ New ]

Have any of you mention , taking out hte battery and  trying?

Hiker

[ New ]

checking taken batt out plugging in power source no led light so im guessing no needs battery in ...u want it for fpv flying

Adventurer

[ New ]

Thanks. the Hero 5 and hero 6 we can remove that battery& use thecamera.  Love t o hear @jayr3438 what he can find out why you're now not getting what  others are  able to do?   Hewould tel lyou that  already have dne Update the camera gain manually fw 1.51, and use a Lower   capacity card that is recmmended.

Just amazing how our smartphones you can plug-nplay gopro its complicated.

Hiker

[ New ]

When using an external powerbank, you will need a high quality USB-C to USB 2.0 cable. My HERO7 Black now records perfectly for 2 hours at a time. I tested this on 3 different mountain bike rides and no longer have ANY lockup issues Smiley LOL

The 2 cables that I can confirm 100% working are the Anker [2-Pack, 6ft] Powerline+ USB-C to USB-A, Double-Braided Nylon Fast Charging Cable and the the Anker Powerline+ USB-C to USB-A 2.0 Cable [10ft]

Both of these 6ft and 10ft cables have a 56k Ohm pull-out resistor which is required to work properly HERO7 Black externally via a USB power bank or car cigarette USB charger. The cheapo noname USB cables on Amazon DO NOT work properly because they do not meet the specific USB-C requirements.

In conclusion, change your cables to the linked Anker cables and you should be good to go Smiley LOL

Nomad

[ New ]
@thorsteno1 Thanks. I'll give this a try and report findings.
Hiker

[ New ]

i have some cheap type c cables from ebay and they work fine

Adventurer

[ New ]

I  will have to try this again b/c the camera I had was faulty, the new one came wit theh thickest usb type A not like the Hero 5 had skinny... so will see about aftermarkets and  resistor one's...

Nomad

[ New ]

I used a cable I bought from amazon. I ran the camera for about 2 hours off of external batter pack and had no problems. SO... maybe before, it was a bad cable I was using?? 

USB Type C Cable,JSAUX 3-Pack. 

Hiker

[ New ]

@tj311 wrote:

Just a note: The hero 7 doesn't work with my Digipower - Re-fuel Lithium-Ion Battery

external power pack either. It locks up every single time. The hero 6 doesn't work either. But the hero 5 works fine with it. 

That's weird, I have the Digipower Re-fuel and haven't had any problems, the longest video I shot with it is about 45 minutes.  The internal battery, was it made in Vietnam or China?  I pre-ordered mine so I got it right away and ordered extra batteries from Amazon which were made in Vietnam but the battery that came with the GoPro was made in China.  Only reason I mention this is there was a debate if the ones made in China were garbage as they were not charging all the way and seemed to lose their charge quickly.

Nomad

[ New ]

@shawnf

Thanks for the info. I was unaware that the battery mfg made a difference. I ran the hero 7 for about 45 minutes with a vietnam battery and it seemed fine. I'm running the vietnam version on my hero 6 black right now and so far so good in Digi Re-Fuel power pack. That could be the reason it didn't happen every time I tried it. I may have had Chinese batteries in it sometimes. Of my 11 batteries, only 4 of them are Vietnam version.  ( I have 4 cameras total) I'll continue to monitor and see if this is a fix for me. That would be great if I could get the Hero 6 black to work 100% of the time with my Re-Fuel.

Hiker

[ New ]

@tj311  I'm not sure if the battery is absolutely the issue, I just remember people were mentioning the battery that came with the GoPro was made in China and it wouldn't charge to 100% and that got some more discussions going about the batteries.  Hopefully the fix is as simple as using the batteries made in Vietnam.  I ordered 4 GoPro batteries from Amazon and they were all made in Vietnam.  

Tourist

[ New ]

I have two GoPro 7 Black cameras and have exactly the same problem with both cameras. The cameras will crash anytime they are hooked up to external power (battery, USB adapter ect.). I have done all the normal stuff: manual firmware update, only approved SD cards, used different cards, different recording resolutions, tried multiple cables, nothing helps.

This is an intermittent issue but it happens most of the time. Either the camera crashes immediately after pressing record requiring battery removal to restart or the camera will randomly crash 1 to 2 minute into a recording and not require battery removal to continue running.

Both cameras run just fine using the internal battery.

I am using a GoPro Hero 6 Black in the same application without any problems. 

This is clearly a Hero 7 Black issue.

On chat today for over an hour. No resolution yet.

Hiker

[ New ]

I really hope this is taken care of in a new Hero7 Black firmware update. I want to use a power bank such as the Anker for snowmobiling. As you know. cold weather is a battery killer. 

Hiker

[ New ]

so u want to record using a seperate power source

ok you have to do this in a certain order or the camera will shut down

first turn the camera on

start recording

THEN plug the powerpack in the usb port

and it will record and not turn off and should record till the powepack is exhausted or the card is full up

you can also do this with the mains charger or in car 

it will not do this without a battery in the camera im guessing this is to do with resistance

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for the work around. Will give it a try.

I am working through troubleshooting on this issue. I have found a couple of USB C cables that work when using a 5 volt power supply. Some cables work and some don't. I have also found that no matter what USB C cable is used nothing but crashes using external battery packs. Clearly this is a USB C issue with the Hero 7 since the Hero 6 works fine same cables.

All of my work is done through the USB C GoPro audio adpater. Same problem without the audio adapter so I don't think that is the problem.

Troubleshooting is difficult becase sometimes the camera will work in record but not often. No obvious difference in the cables but there are certain USB C cables that make the camera crash in the record mode every time.

I am guessing the issue is some noise or unwanted signal on the data leads of the USB C cables. Since all I want to do is power the camera I may modify the cables to cut the data leads and leave only +/-.

More cables on order.

Come on GoPro this has to be a widespread problem.

Tourist

[ New ]

Update on the external power issue. I have solved the problem for my application. I fly two wing mounted Hero 7 Black's on an aircraft. They are shooting 4k @ 60FPS so external power is required. Since these cameras are mounted externally in a 100 mph wind they have no thermal problems. They can run for hours at 4k / 60FPS with a 256 gb SD card but they obvious need external power.

I found that by taking an Amazon Basic low speed USB C cable then cutting it in half  and isolating the + and - power wires I can run the cameras without crashing using a 12 volt to 5 volt power supply. You have to be careful to isolated the data wires in the wire bundle. All you need going to the camera is +5 volt.

So this basically confirms my suspicion. Noise or other unwanted signals are getting fed into the Hero 7 on the data wires in the USB C cable and causing the camer to crash in the record mode.

Here is an example of the kind of video produced by these wing mount Hero 7's.

Tourist

[ New ]

@thorsteno1 wrote:

When recording 4K or 2.7K video OR hyperlapse with an external USB powerbank (Anker), the camera will stop recording after a few seconds. This occurs intermittently, sometimes it records just fine, but not always.

I am using the official GoPro USB-C cables that came with the cameras. The recording error happens with my Anker Power Bank and also when plugged into a 2.1 Amp car cigarette USB power plug.

Firmware is v1.5.1 and I am using one of the recommended Samsung Evo Plus 128GB MB-MC128GA/AM cards. Firmware was manually updated via sd card. I did a full format on the microsd cards on the computer and then also formatted in-camera.

Tested this on both of my new Hero 7 Blacks. Sometimes they record just fine with external power and other times they both stop recording after a few seconds.

Using the internal battery ONLY, both H7B’s record video & hyperlapse just fine….until the battery dies 40-50 minutes later.

Never had any external power issues on my Hero 5 Black or Hero 4 Black, both worked flawlessly and I was able to leave the cameras on 12 hours a day.

Please add this issue to the next H7B firmware update.

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE@ as I have posted earlier in this thread I have experience exactly the same problem with two GoPro 7 Black cameras. I have spend many hours troubleshooting this problem. Bottom line with all features turned on shooting 4k @ 60FPS, Protune, Hypersmooth, audio adapter, on a 256 GB SD card (approved by GoPro) the cameras would most often crash or freeze on any form of external power (battery, power supply, USB power strip).

I have found by turning off wireless connections, turning off GPS and downgrading from a 256 GB card to a 128 GB the cameras are now running in the record mode without crashing for an extended period of time on any form of external power with several different USB-C cables. I suspect the power demands associated with running the camera with all features on are just too much. Strange part is that the cameras can handle recording operations with everything turned on if running on internal battery only.

Hiker

[ New ]

PLEASE READ THE POST>>>>>>>>>>>>

what happens when you try recording this way with your power bank plugged in ...important it must be done in this order or it will turn off after a few seconds....

useing the same lead that you are using to charge the camera
makeing sure the battery in the camera is fully charged and the power bank that your are using is also fully charged and that there is a proper sd card in the camera that can be recorded on

here is how to record with a power bank 

make sure nothing is plugged into the camera
DO NOT PLUG IN THE POWER BANK YET
and make sure the camera is not hot
the camera needs to be cool to do this properly

turn the camera on
press the record button to record maker sure the camera is recording

NOW PLUG THE POWER BANK IN

it should carry on recording

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm also having this issue - my Hero 7 Black crashes when I start recording with an external USB power bank with GoPro audio adapter and GoPro USB cable and with a GoPro battery installed. For me inserting the USB cable after recording starts isn't an option, as I'm constantly starting/stopping recording using voice.

I've found that it seems the issue happens only with certain USB power banks - others seem OK (so far - will keep testing). Perhaps it's to do with how much current the power bank can supply, and/or the voltage dropping when recordings starts? I'm surprised though, as I wouldn't have thought the GoPro would draw that much power on recording start, but maybe combined with charging the internal battery this is the issue?

Hiker

[ New ]

Just tried my new Hero7 black and Anker PowerCore+ 10050 inside with a 80% charged GoPro battery. I did the opposite of what you stated  just to see what would happen. I'm not disagreeing with your findings, I just thought I would try it with my particular Anker power bank. I'm also up to date with firmware 1.61. My settings are as follows;

4K 60fps

Hypersmooth (Auto)

ProTune On

Voice Control Off

WiFi Off

GPS Off

64gb SanDisk Exrtreme Plus

Picked up the GoPro from sitting stationary just after 15 minutes of recording, tapped on the LCD and the the GoPro froze. The GoPro was on the skeleton at the time and the the GoPro was getting hot to the touch. I'm certain that it got hot due to recording in 4K 60fps. My Sony RX100V only lasts about 5 minutes. I'm sure performance will be just fine once in the open with air.

Anyway, I'm going to perform the same test outside with the current temperature in the upper 20's. I'll report back.......😊

Hiker

[ New ]

Great news...... I just got done  testing in my 28 degree garage. Kept the same settings as before and turned on the GoPro after connecting  the power bank. I received 1 hour and 52 minutes off my 64gb card when it beeped at being full. The amazing part is that the GoPro battery actually charged up to 86% from 80% when started. PLUS, my power bank has 10 tiny LED lights (10 = full charge) which shows the state of it's charge........ just went to 8 lights right before I removed it 😢........ LOL. 

I do realize that both the GoPro battery and the power bank charge will vary with the different GoPro options being turned on, especially with the Hypersmooth being in action versus sitting still. All in all, I'm extremely pleased at this time. I'll know more with using it in the real world, right now I'm waiting for some snow for snowmobiling. 😊

Hero7 & Anker PB Test 1080.jpg

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for sharing your results, @greensand10612. As long as the external power source is able to output  5V, 2 A, the camera should continue working. That is, until the SD card is full, or temperature gets too high triggering shutdown for safety purposes. Recording in  high performance modes could lead to the latter. 

This article presents the expected battery life for the HERO7 Black camera considering the resolution used. You may use this as reference to maximize battery life. You may already have your preferred settings but you might want to try out recommended settings collated by our experts in order to get the best shot with your HERO7 Black while snow-mobiling

Lastly, as with all Lithium-Ion batteries, your GoPro's internal battery operates most effectively at moderate temperatures; cold weather leads to a decrease in overall battery life. Image Stabilization in high performance modes draws a lot of power. In cold temperatures the battery is not able to keep up. Because of this, HyperSmooth and Standard Stabilization are not available in the following high performance modes when operating in very cold temperatures (0°C or lower). 

• 2.7K 4:3 - 60/50
  • 4K 60/50
  • 4K 4:3 - 24

Here are a a few tips that should maximize the battery's performance in low temperatures. It's important to note that cold-performance is relative; you may find that using one of the tips below does the trick, or you may need to experiment with combinations that suit your activity. 

• Keep the camera and battery warm before/during use (stow it in an interior pocket). 
  • Leaving the camera on, in standby may be beneficial, as powering the camera off for an extended period of time will allow the camera's temperature to drop.
  • Minimize the use of resolutions/frame rate combinations higher than 1080p30, unless necessary. If you're not looking to take advantage of higher resolutions, or slow down your video while editing, 1080p30 is a great high-definition, energy efficient recording setting.
  • Minimize the use of Wi-Fi. It requires quite a bit of battery power to retain the video feed and control the camera; even more so in low temperatures. 
  • Use the waterproof housing whenever possible, to retain the heat given off by the camera during use. 

We hope this helps. Enjoy using your GoPro!

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks for the great info. I was hoping that using my power bank along with keeping the battery in camera would help keep it warmer. I'll have to do some experimenting. Thanks again. Ray 👍😊

Tourist

[ New ]

That‘s a very general answer and doesn’t help solving the problem.

I‘ve got exactly the problem describe before: I have a Anker 21000 PowerBank and an Anker USB C-USB-C Cable. I use the Audio adapter as well, and as soon as I plug in the power, the Hero won‘t start recording. Doesn‘t matter whether the recording starts from being triggered from the app or by pushing the button.

This is clearly a firmware bug and it‘s 100% reproducable, which renders the camera (=your flagship product) for my application useless. GoPro, please investigate.

Hiker

[ New ]

start recording then and only then when its recording plug the battery in ...simple it carries on recording ...

if you plug the battery in first it will STOP recording

Tourist

[ New ]

I've investigated further: it definitely depends on the USB-C cable used.

When I used THIS 3m USB-C to USB-C cable – https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01N20JIOU –, I had exactly the same effect with the camera switching off after starting recording when the cable was plugged in BEFORE starting the recording.

When using the original Apple USB-C 2m cable (https://www.apple.com/de/shop/product/MLL82ZM/A/), it works flawlessly.

The battery pack used is an USB-C Anker Powercore + 26,800 mAh Powerbank (https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B06XQ19LWL/)

Unfortunately, I can only record in 2,7K/50fps - because when filming with 4K/50fps the camera gets so hot that it shuts down after ~1h recording time. With 2,7K, it does record for the full SD capacity, like ~4h.

Tourist

[ New ]

@jayr3438 – can you maybe comment on my article above? Is GoPro going to investigate this?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @foggybeach03280. Thank you for sharing results of your test. We have forwarded these details to the team. We will provide an update once we hear back from them. Best regards!

Tourist

[ New ]

I've been using x4 GoPro 6 cameras @ 2.7k 3:3 60FPS PT ON for a while now. My goal was to run each camera for 2 hours straight off of external power. I am at the point where I no longer run into problems or random shut downs in the middle of recording. I have x4 sets of the below items running simultaneously. I do not use the GoPro battery in any form when shooting like this. 

• 128GB SanDisk (Lasts about 3hr:12)
  • Anker 21,000 battery (Lasts 8hr+)
  • Provided USB-C cable (Thick or thin)
  • Couple of mounts to hold the GoPro to Anker battery

After some initial flubs using the GoPro battery inside the camera, I removed them completely.  I have not had a problem since and have recorded about 128 hours of footage this way. I trust the Anker battery more than I trust the finicky GoPro.

I'd find a picture of the red warning but apparently nobody on Google Images is recording like me...

The ONLY problem I've run into doesn't actually do anything other than make me nervous. When the camera is done recording for two hours, I wake it up by tapping the LCD. When the screen lights up there is a red warning bar at the top covering the area where the timecode and record icon would be. It says something about the battery dying. I hit the x to close it and it reveals that the camera is still recording. I then stop the recording and prepare for the next.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @fireymesa58577

Did you notice if the camera got too hot?

Please note: 

If the camera gets too hot, a message appears on the screen indicating that the camera is shutting down. The camera stops recording, saves your video, disconnects from the GoPro App, and powers off. If this happens, let your camera sit and cool before attempting to use it again. 

Is there a chance the warning relates to the camera temperature?

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Too hot to touch longer than a few seconds. Mainly the metal lens frame.

I'm almost certain the warning doesn't mention temperature but I'll recreate it tomorrow and add a picture.
GoPro

[ New ]

It would be helpful, @fireymesa58577. We will look forward to an update from you. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

I ran some tests but didn't use the same USBC cables. One camera used the thicker USBC cable that comes with the GoPro 6, one used the thinner USBC cable that comes with the dual charger, and one used a 3rd party USBC that came with a 3rd party tri charger.

Below is the red warning bar I get after returning to the cameras 2 hours later.

It is more generic than I had remembered. This appears randomly during the recording but I don't get to check until 2 hours.

It has not ever caused a problem so I've just ignored it.

I'm also noticing just now that the plug icon on the top right starts blinking at some point after being solid.

Low Battery

GoPro

[ New ]

Appreciate the update, @fireymesa58577. It is odd for the camera to be showing such warning message when no battery is in. It would be best to engage our Support team for further assistance on this matter. When you do, have your camera and other details handy, or refer them to this thread so they what you are observing, as well as what you have already done in terms of troubleshooting. You may reach the team by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello, I ran into the exact same problems listed within this thread.

It's definately not a thermal problem (happens with just powered up GoPros at ~20°C).

I tried all sorts of things. Up till now with no permanent success. (Because the problem with external power supply are erratic/random/not 100% reproducible, it's hard to come to definate conclusions when testing.)

Dear GoPro-Team: Please inform us how to avoid - one and for all - those external usb-powering problems!

I have already wasted a lot of time.

IMO quality control and investigating problems is YOUR job, not mine.

Please tell us, whether it is

- due to cables

- due to the order (of powering up / start recording / plugging in powerbank) [which would be very bad!]

- battery type

- SD-card

- GoPro-Settings

- etc.

Please provide transparent clarification!

We wasted a lot of time and lost a lot of footage with several GoPro Hero 7 powered by external BatteryPacks (using only quality cables and quality power packs).

Thx.

Nomad

[ New ]

I thought I was the only one with this issue. I contacted Gopro and they sent me a new camera. And I ran into the same issue. I was using an An Anker with the official GoPro usec cable. And I ran into issues.

I noticed that when the charge hits 100 that's also when it starts messing up.

This is crazy. Because I need to use it with a power bank and I thought about getting the digipower. But a reviewer ran into the same issue.

Nomad

[ New ]

I've recorded the issue to help illustrate the issues we are experiencing. 

https://youtu.be/ZWiG-idf5fo https://youtu.be/869QiUuekcw

Nomad

[ New ]

I've recorded the issue to help illustrate the issues we are experiencing. 

https://youtu.be/ZWiG-idf5fo https://youtu.be/869QiUuekcw to

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @floriana6026 @bikemivie

If you haven't already, try taking the battery out and let the camera record running off the power source.

See if the same happens.

We have already raised this issue to the team in charge.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Taking the battery out is NOT a real solution to the problem, because

a) in practice this option often is not feasable, because

• in some/our applications one switches between "GoPro without external battery" and "adding external battery", also while powered-up GoPro or even while recording.
  • An internal battery also serves as a "safety net" to ensure, problems with external power never can lead to problems. [Or better: This SHOULD serve as such a safety net, with a well-engineered product...]
  • Furthermore when you have the GoPro in a housing, it is extremely annoying/unproductive/unprofessional to constantly switch between "no internal battery" to "internal battery" all the time, because the device is not well-engineered!.

b) The tip to remove internal battery is no solution to the problem disussed here by definition, because the problem discussed here is obviously a problem with energy managmenent/distribution between external & internal power source.

Basically a device like an action cam needs a circuit board, which controls:

1. using internal battery for operation
  2. using external battery for operation
  3. using external battery for charging internal battery

Every smartphone/camera/..... or whatever similar device needs this.

Every device I ever used was able to handle the three needs outlined above.

Only GoPro (Hero6 and Hero7) has problems with this. This SUPER-SIMPLE and COMMON task of integrating internal battery and external (charging) power source was not properly handled by the engineers of GoPro. (That's a fact, not an assumption/attack!) GoPro is the only deviced I ever come across, whhere this SUPER-BASIC and COMMON task of internal & external power sources lead to:

• crashes/reboots
  • freezing

Imagine a smartphone which crashes/freezes just because you try to charge it!!! That's exactly what's happening with GoPro Hero 7!

I hope it is a problem which can be solved by software. But I'm afraid it's an amateurish designed hardware

NB: I'm really surprised, that GoPro seems to focus forces on things like sensor/image stabilization (things wich can be marketed...), but implements other BASIC things way below industry standard (wireless implementation/connection speed & stability, and this problem of some FUNDAMENTAL flaw in energy managment/charging when combining internal and external power)

Sorry for the longish text. I think the LEAST thing you could/should do now, is

• researching the problem
  • being transparent about it (instead of wasting more of our times by using us as beta-testers and letting us desperately guess what's exactly the cause for these (erratic) problems...)
  • helping us users/buyers by either:
  • - firmware update, if the problem can be solved by software
  • - telling us at least, what exactly triggers the problems, so that we know whether e.g. experimenting with cables/sd-cards/settings might help.

Would be nice, if you send this to internal quality control or/and technical department (there will be some tests in at least one renowned photo magazines mentioning exactly those problems; would look better if you responded with some help on your website/forums towards your customers IMO - actually this was the reason posting here: Allowing you to respond and give statements.)

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @floriana6026

Thank you for the additional information.

As stated above, this issue has been shared to the team.

Removing the battery while recording is just a suggestion.

Thanks!

Nomad

[ New ]

Taking out the battery and recording does allow me to record. Is it a solution? Barely. But it works for ME

I quite surprised that this is still an issue and there has no been any follw up with GOPRO in regards to this. Its easily reproduceable.

Tourist

[ New ]

I can run my GoPro 6s in 4k @ 30fps with a big Anker battery for 10+ hours.

If I put a battery in the camera and do this, the Anker turns off when it thinks the camera battery is fully charged.

This switches the GoPro to the camera battery until it runs out, which is usually like 60-90 minutes.

This is bad when I need it to run 120+ minutes. I learned the hard way on day one.

If I want to use the Anker but keep the GoPro battery inside as backup, I use a USB LED light.

I wrapped some black electircal tape around it so you can't see it lit up.

It keeps the Anker alive until I am done with it.

I have not experienced the troubles I see people having here where it refuses to record.