Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Hero 7 Black - Choppy playback

Tried out the Hero 7 Black for the first time this weekend and diappointed to say the least.

When i bough the camera, first thing i did was manually update the firmware to 1.51. I also went out and purchased one of the recommended SD cards: Samsung 128GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSD EVO Select Memory Card with Adapter (MB-ME128GA/AM)

Filmed for the first time with the following settings:

4K 60FPS

FOV: Wide

Stabilization: Auto

PT: On

Shutter: Auto

EV Comp: 0

WB: Auto

ISO Min: 100

ISO Max: 800

Sharpness: Med

Color: GoPro

When i playback the video on my laptop, it plays the video just fine for 1 second, the next 3 seconds are choppy, then 1 second, then 3 choppy and so on. I've tried playback with QuickTime Player 10.5 as well as VLC 3.0.4. Laptop is MacBook Pro Mid2015. 2.2GHz i&, 16GB Ram running Mojave 10.4 (Laptop plays 4k60 files from Hero 6 Black just fine). I also tried on my windows desktop with the same players with the same results.

I read another post on here about a similar issue and the suggestion was to reset the camera and manuall update again so before opening this thread i did those steps and did another test with the same results.

I can provide the RAW video file if needed. 

I have the SD card that came with the camera (32GB SanDisk) that i may try next when i have a moment.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black - Choppy playback

[ Edited ]

The people that are saying it is playing fine on the link... Have they actually downloaded the file? Or just going by the stream? The reason I ask is because the stream is only 720 whereas the download is 4k. Fyi, the stream plays fine for me but the downloaded file freezes on the first frame on my laptop using VLC (as I would expect a 4k 60fps file to, as it is a fairly old laptop albeit with an i7 inside)
Soryy I ain't got a solution but just wanted to make sure about the stream/download feedback you were getting.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Hiker

As a follow up, i just ran out and tested with the SanDisk Extreme 32GB card that came with camera, same results
Highlighted
Adventurer

Did you say you viewed on teh camera itself, is it choppy? on the  lpatop  and on its HDD  is it choppy?  on a private youtube upload is it choppy?

Highlighted
Hiker

Plays back on the gopro just fine. Yes the video is directly on the hard drive of the mac as well as the PC. I did not upload it anywhere

Highlighted
Hiker

Highlighted
Adventurer

If you do upload you'll then  understand its the computer?

Highlighted
Adventurer

[ Edited ]

Plays perfect online your computer is not to Par, try VLC player

Highlighted
Hiker

Re-read the post, I've tried the latest version of VLC. How is is my computer is not up to par however i can play 4k60 vids from Hero 6 without issue.

The windows PC is a 3.6GHz i7 with 16GB ram - If that's not up to par couldn't tell you what is.