Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero 7 Black - Choppy playback

[ New ]

Tried out the Hero 7 Black for the first time this weekend and diappointed to say the least.

When i bough the camera, first thing i did was manually update the firmware to 1.51. I also went out and purchased one of the recommended SD cards: Samsung 128GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSD EVO Select Memory Card with Adapter (MB-ME128GA/AM)

Filmed for the first time with the following settings:

4K 60FPS

FOV: Wide

Stabilization: Auto

PT: On

Shutter: Auto

EV Comp: 0

WB: Auto

ISO Min: 100

ISO Max: 800

Sharpness: Med

Color: GoPro

When i playback the video on my laptop, it plays the video just fine for 1 second, the next 3 seconds are choppy, then 1 second, then 3 choppy and so on. I've tried playback with QuickTime Player 10.5 as well as VLC 3.0.4. Laptop is MacBook Pro Mid2015. 2.2GHz i&, 16GB Ram running Mojave 10.4 (Laptop plays 4k60 files from Hero 6 Black just fine). I also tried on my windows desktop with the same players with the same results.

I read another post on here about a similar issue and the suggestion was to reset the camera and manuall update again so before opening this thread i did those steps and did another test with the same results.

I can provide the RAW video file if needed. 

I have the SD card that came with the camera (32GB SanDisk) that i may try next when i have a moment.

Accepted Solutions
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 Black - Choppy playback

[ New ]

The people that are saying it is playing fine on the link... Have they actually downloaded the file? Or just going by the stream? The reason I ask is because the stream is only 720 whereas the download is 4k. Fyi, the stream plays fine for me but the downloaded file freezes on the first frame on my laptop using VLC (as I would expect a 4k 60fps file to, as it is a fairly old laptop albeit with an i7 inside)
Soryy I ain't got a solution but just wanted to make sure about the stream/download feedback you were getting.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Hiker

[ New ]
As a follow up, i just ran out and tested with the SanDisk Extreme 32GB card that came with camera, same results
Adventurer

[ New ]

Did you say you viewed on teh camera itself, is it choppy? on the  lpatop  and on its HDD  is it choppy?  on a private youtube upload is it choppy?

Hiker

[ New ]

Plays back on the gopro just fine. Yes the video is directly on the hard drive of the mac as well as the PC. I did not upload it anywhere

Hiker

[ New ]
Adventurer

[ New ]

If you do upload you'll then  understand its the computer?

Adventurer

[ New ]

Plays perfect online your computer is not to Par, try VLC player

Hiker

[ New ]
Re-read the post, I've tried the latest version of VLC. How is is my computer is not up to par however i can play 4k60 vids from Hero 6 without issue.

The windows PC is a 3.6GHz i7 with 16GB ram - If that's not up to par couldn't tell you what is.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Yes I missed that part that you tried. Apollogese.    4K60 the hero 6 does not do so not sure why its creating choppiness.

Hiker

[ New ]

Weird, 

My laptop is fairly old and the video plays just fine for me.

Maybe a driver issue?

Hiker

[ New ]
If it were a driver i would assume i would have the same issue with file from Hero 6
Adventurer

[ New ]

If i did not say this: hypersmooth, 4L60 plays a toll. 4k30 and Standard eis  may not be as hard on the cpu.     can you put the file in an editor and does it  play correctly?

Hiker

[ New ]
Plays the same inside of Final Cut
Hiker

[ New ]

The people that are saying it is playing fine on the link... Have they actually downloaded the file? Or just going by the stream? The reason I ask is because the stream is only 720 whereas the download is 4k. Fyi, the stream plays fine for me but the downloaded file freezes on the first frame on my laptop using VLC (as I would expect a 4k 60fps file to, as it is a fairly old laptop albeit with an i7 inside)
Soryy I ain't got a solution but just wanted to make sure about the stream/download feedback you were getting.

Hiker

[ New ]
I downloaded it. Worked on my computer and worked on my phone
Hiker

[ New ]

I downloaded the file and played it with SMPlayer and it played fine.  However if I switched the SMPlayer output driver from vdpau (Nvidea) to anything else the playback slows so are you using hardware or software decoding for HEVC?

Explorer

[ New ]
I'm not sure what the issue is with your computer, but the video plays fine for me as well.
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi, I have the same problem. I downloaded your video and it stutters on my Macbook Pro 15" Retina mid 2012. I use Quicktime player and iMovie sam result. I have the latest macOS Mojave which supports HVEC video format and my 4K video from iPhone 7 has no issues with playback or my Hero 5 4K video.

Tourist

[ New ]

I just downloaded the file on my 2017 MacBook with 16gb of Ram. I opened it with IINA player and QuikTime Player. The file played perfectly on both for me. It doesn't seem like the GoPro is the problem. I don't know what to tell you.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Overall bitrate of your uploaded video is 78.0 Mb/s, compare it with video bitrate from your Hero 6.

Tourist

[ New ]

I am experiencing the exact same issue as you and I built my pc from ground up with a dedicated graphics card etc... Our rigs are strong enough and capable enough to run these videos as they appear on the GoPro itself (smooth). The only idea I have is both our devices (my other being an early MacBook pro-2015 13in) do not support HEVC video encoding and because of that, the videos run very choppy.

Just as you described mine runs great for the first 1-2 seconds then choppy then back to normal and then choppy once again.