Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 7 Black - Battery life is shockingly bad.

[ New ]

Hi all, 

Just bought a new H7 Black a few weeks ago with the dual battery charger and extra battery. I was really excited because it's finally an upgrade to my old H4 Session. But unlike my 4 Session whose batery was always great, the battery life of the 7 is absolutely dreadful. It's actually beyond dreadful to the point of it being unusable unless I buy ten extra batteries. 

Just sitting down when it arrived and playing with settings, the fully charged battery was draining so fast it wasn't funny. Seriously it dropped from 100% to probably 56'% in around 15 minutes or less without any filming - just the screen on. 

Also today the battery started at 86% and I took it out with me for a short walk around and filmed no more than 3-4 minutes at 2.7k 30fps as a test, and when I got home the battery was at 61%. Seriously ? 25% battery loss after filming 3-4 minutes ?? That's totally pathetic. 

Seriously folks, I could go on and on because that has always been the story since the day it arrived. I look at the H7 Black battery life figures here on the GPro site and can only laugh at figures like 85-90 minutes. There is no way in hell I get anywhere close. I think I'd be extremely fortunate to get as little as 15-20 minutes from either battery.  

I tried all the suggestions I found around the net, inlcuding keeping WiFi off, turning off voice control and Bluetooth. I updated camera and I am using a good quality brand new Sandisk Extreme 64GB card. Anyway, what's the point of a camera where you have to turn everything off so it works more than 15 minutes ? 

Hope someoe can help, because right now my brand new H7 Black is bordering on useless. So disappointed after the great use I had from my H4 Session over the years, which was great. That lasted me almost all day on holidays and days out at 1080p. 

Any help greatly appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black - Battery life is shockingly bad.

[ New ]
FYI : Just contacted support chat and was told to factory reset and manual update. Did both and will test in the morning. Interesting to see another poster here who also bought a H7B about two weeks ago had same issue with one battery. Must check fully both batteries and compare performance. Not 100% sure but so far I suspect I've been using the same battery (the one that came with the cam) all the time. Will update soon after checking the spare tat came with the charger.
GoPro

[ New ]

@quickmesa73034, let us know how it goes.

Tourist

[ New ]

OK. Just did a test with the battery that came with the dual charger. Battery was at 100% and I set the H7B down on the table filming at 1080p 30FPS and left it alone for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes filming the battery still has 77% charge left in it, and the camera was also not running nearly as hot as the bad battery was after just 10 minutes. 

So the question is, what do I do with the terrible battery that came with the camera ? How do I get a free replacement, because I don't think I should have to go and buy a new battery for a camera that's only a few weeks old. Do I contact the shop I bought it from ? Should they replace it no questions asked ? 

Glad it's fixed, but man it annoys the heck out of me when I need to spend so much time trying to fix a product I just bought. Wasted hours on YouTube trying to find solutions and did factory resets and manual updates, turning everything on and off and back on and back off again, etc etc ...  Yet most of my main problems (including a big overheating issue) are all from a bad brand new battery delivered with the camera. 

Oh yeah, one more thing (as if I hadn't had enough already !). Last night your tech support told me to do a reset and manual update so I downloaded the file, unzipped it, copied it to my SD and the camera did not update. Nothing. After a long while of frusutration, I noticed that the update file from your own website unzips itself into a folder called "GoPro update" and we need to copy that folder to the SD, but it didn't work. I looked and looked and finally nocticed that your website walk-through example images show the folder as being called "UPDATE". So I renamed the unzipped folder from "GoPro update" to "UPDATE" and did it all over again and it worked and the camera updated immediately ! Seriously GoPro, have you got a team of monkeys workng for you ? You can't even prodivde an update file with the correct folder name ? Honestly, why is it always up to me to troubleshoot this stuff ..... even an update file that YOU provide on yor support website. That's unforgiveable. 

It's a god job I'm a tech guy with over 20 years experience in IT development, Application Management, and Opertaional Support. I can imagine many users less tech inclined are frustrated as all hell with your products and procedures. 

By the way, I give you 2 out of 10 for your support structure.  

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the details that you provided, @quickmesa73034. It is odd that you got a GoPro Update folder instead of the UPDATE folder when the files were extracted. Which computer were you using and which OS is it running on? Will you be able to send us a screenshot of such a folder (if you still have it saved)? This will help us isolate the issue. We will share this with the team as well. 

Our Support team will be able to help you with the battery replacement. Since you already have a support case, you can use the same case number for easy reference. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks. Will contact support for a replacement. 

Scrren shot of update zip and unzipped file attached. Running an iMac on High Sierra 10.13.6

Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 20.11.40.png
GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for sharing the screenshot, @quickmesa73034. We will pass this along to the team.