Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero 7 Black Battery discharges overnight

Hi everyone,

I have a problem concerning my ~6 months old (but the battery made less than 30 load cycles) GoPro Hero 7 Black. In the last weeks it happened quite often that I charged the camera at the evening fully and when I wanted to use it in the next morning it was fully discharged (It was not possible to start the camera at all.). When I plugged in power it shows 1-3% charge. The camera was shut down and disconnected from power during the night.

To exclude some popular user issues I tried the following (without fixing it):
- I installed the latest firmeware (1.9)

- I did a factory reset after the update

- I disabled voice control, WiFi and GPS

My setup:

- I use the original GoPro battery that was delivered with the camera. (unfortunately I do not have a second battery to test with)

- I use the original GoPro USB to USB-C cable to charge the camera. 

- I usally use a power supply that outputs 5 V at 1.5 A. (but the issue also occurs when the camera is charged via PC)

- I use the SanDisk Extreme 64 GB

I hope I did not forget any important detail. In the last week the issue happend in ~50% of the nights. This is especially sad as I could not use the camera in half of my winter vaction. :(

Did anyone experienced the same or similar issue? And are there any suggestions how to fix it?

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery discharges overnight

I contacted the support and showed them this post. They suggested to do a manual camera update using the SD-card (https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero7-black). I will do a manual update and test it again. I will post the results here soon.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

Not a fix, but a work around.

Charge you battery to 100%.

Remove it from the camera and then put it back in the camera.  DO NOT POWER ON THE CAMERA.

Your battery should stay fully charged.

Tourist

Thank you for your idea. This works around at least the discharging overnight but when I use the camera at the morning and the again in the afternoon the discharging seems to happen too. And it is not possible to open the battery box at any time.

Tourist

I have the Hero7 for more than a year and I'm very disappointed with it.

I have the same battery issue. The Hero7 has been replaced, GoPro even sent me a new battery but it didn't change anything. I install a 100% loaded battery in the morning, use it for less than 2 minutes and switch it off. When I switch it on again 30 minutes later the battery will be empty and the camera will be very hot.

It doesn't do it all the time, but when it does it it's when I really need to record. It's like playing poker. And when the battery doesn't drain, the camera freezes and the only way to switch it off or to continue to use it is to remove the battery. It's very annoying when the camera is on a gimbal, I'm obliged to remove the camera from the gimbal, remove the battery and reinstall it.

And of course, voice control is off, GPS, Wifi,... all the functions they advertised are off to save the battery.

But it seems I'm not the only one to have this problem and I don't think GoPro knows how to solve it.

But one thing is sure, my next camera won't be a GoPro which is a bit sad because I've had the Hero2, then the Hero3 and 4 and I never had a problem with them. The Hero7 is just a catastrophe!

Yesterday I started to use it and it made me so mad that I ended to record with my phone.

Nomad

Hi

try other SD card - I do not trust SanDisk - recommend Samsung - I ve got 128GB.

indeks.jpg

My batteries on 1.7FW (both I have Samsung (extra battery for GP6 ) and this oryginall which they gave in box ) loosing ~2% per day. All features off. I put it out if I am not gonna use GP.

The same  "magic" is already reported on GP8 - I think is a "chip" problem.

Tourist

I contacted the support and showed them this post. They suggested to do a manual camera update using the SD-card (https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero7-black). I will do a manual update and test it again. I will post the results here soon.

Tourist

[ Edited ]

I haven't tried the Samsung card.
I've used 128 Gb from SanDisk, Lexar, Transcend and even Sony and it was the same problem.

All features are also Off but been obliged to remove the battery every time I switch the camera off is a bit boring, especially when it's installed on a gimbal.

I also read that the Hero8 has the same problem. I'm now looking to replace my Hero7 Black, maybe with the DJI version or another brand, I'm not 100% sure yet. But it won't be from GoPro:(

Tourist

They told me the same things last year and it didn't change anything. You can do it, it won't harm your camera but it won't solve the problem.