Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 7 Black Battery Life

Whenever I use my GoPro, I find that the battery life is extremely short, like 20min max. It drains whether I am filming, taking pictures, or just having it sit on the table. It also will get quite warm to the touch.

I contacted support before and was told to get a different SD card. I got the suggested SD card but no dice. I am still having battery drain issues. I am up to date on the updates and have used two different batteries. Any other ideas on what is wrong and how to fix it?

GoPro Community Manager

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Life

The SD card is often the issue since a non-compatible SD card can keep the camera in a constant state of trying to engage. If you're having the same power issues with another SD card, there may be other issues going on.

I know you've said your camera is up to date, but it still would be good to do a manual update just to be sure there aren't any errors there. Instructions for a manual update are at https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero7-black. You can also do some testing by removing the SD card and just seeing how fast the battery drains just while being powered on.

Sightseer

Sorry to budge in but i’m having the same issue.
Bought the GoPro 7 black holiday bundle which came with SD card and extra battery.
The camera is on the latest firmware 1.9 and battery is draining fast.
Also, it does not seem to be switching off properly. On a standby mode or something whereby the battery continues to drain.

WiFi, quickcapture are already switched off.

In the manual update page, i’m only seeing 2 update options.
Via app or Quik for desktop. Not finding the manual option.

Please help as this is such a gd camera and these issues are killing it.
Thanks!
GoPro

Hello @fleetvista22068. Make sure you go to the page using a computer. The option is not available on mobile browsers. If you are already using a computer, be sure to have the page in full screen. 

Sightseer

@mariustanya Ah I see! I’m using mobile. Will try on computer and do a manual update.
Hopefully that solves the battery issue.
Tourist

I did the force update and am leaving the camera on with location on and wireless communication off. I am not using it and the video is set to 1080p 240 W. I am watching the battery drain. 1% a minute. The SD card is still in.

GoPro

Hello @peterb2460. It would help to determine battery integrity to make sure that your camera works efficiently. To do this, run a short record time test following the instructions here.

If you get a battery life that is significantly shorter than expected, please contact our Support team so they can assist you with the next steps. You may reach them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs .

Tourist

Ok, so I did what you said, and the film was 1h and 54m and 1080p and 30fps. So I guess it is just draining fast while its on higher resolutions. Thank you for your help.