Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero 7 Black Battery Life

My Hero 5 Session ceased to function only after 3 months so when it was replaced/refunded under warranty I upgraded to the Hero7 Black (all in the last week). I did a firmware upgrade right out of the box so have got to believe its the latest firmware. I use a Sandisk Extreme 64GB Card. Same card as used in previous cameras. I charged the camera overnight before first useage. Went for a motorcycle ride and used a combination of 1080/25fps and 2k/25fps. I got a sum total of about 28 mins footage before the baterry died (I was astounded). I recharged it again last night and decided to test it this morning again (just inside the house this time). This time I just let it run at 2K/25fps. The Camera turned itself off at the 61 minute mark with 15% left on the camera (not sure why it did this). I reactivated it and ran it down to flat. In total it took 77.3 minutes footage. The camera was sitting on a benchtop and I noted when i picked it up was "Extremely" hot. This battery life is far short of what i have seen GoPro publish for this camera (from memory over 1hr:40min at 4K) and far short of acceptable. Have you any suggestions on what to do next. Ill give it one last shot (after I get your suggestions) and again retest to see if we can get to something reasonable before i return it to the retailer i purchased it from. (This is a A$600 camera and your premium product therefore should not be suffering these issues). If i have to return this one I wont be replacing it. 

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Life

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the detailed description of the issue @paulg0027

And I am sorry for any troubles this may have caused.

While an update on the camera has been done, as part of the troubleshooting step, I will recommend to run another manual software update.

Please make sure to save any important files before formatting your card and proceeding with the update.

You should see 1/2 then 2/2 to indicate that the update has completed.

For reference regarding approximate recording times, you may check this article: 

HERO7 Battery Information

Let us know how it goes.

Should you continue to experience the same, you may refer to the same store/channel you got it from or you can reach also reach out to our Support Team.

Regards,

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the detailed description of the issue @paulg0027

And I am sorry for any troubles this may have caused.

While an update on the camera has been done, as part of the troubleshooting step, I will recommend to run another manual software update.

Please make sure to save any important files before formatting your card and proceeding with the update.

You should see 1/2 then 2/2 to indicate that the update has completed.

For reference regarding approximate recording times, you may check this article: 

HERO7 Battery Information

Let us know how it goes.

Should you continue to experience the same, you may refer to the same store/channel you got it from or you can reach also reach out to our Support Team.

Regards,

Ej

Tourist

Hi EJ, 

Thanks for the response and also the expected battery durations. I noted in some of the previous Hub Conversations that it was recommended to someone to remove the SD card and then recharge. I have done this and performed another test. This time the camera was set to 1080p25 and it achieved a duration of 95 minutes. I note that in the GoPro battery chart 1080p60 should achieve 85-90 minutes so to be frank im not sure if 95 minutes for the 1080p25 is acceptable or not. I will update the software again as suggested by you (although I did check this last night and it has the latest version) and test again at one of the settings that has a published expected duration and then check back again.

Thx

Paul

GoPro

Thank you for your efforts @paulg0027

Feel free to post back if something comes up.

Regards,

Ej