Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Backpacker

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

i've not read all 8 pages on the thread, but thought i'd add about mine. Being impatient I put my Hero 6 battery into the Hero 7 so I could use it straight away, it charges fine & seems to hold charge with no issues (everything on except voice wake up). Perhaps their putting duff batteries with Hero 7

Tourist

[ Edited ]

@danielr15 wrote:

The small incremental battery drops don't tell as much as (with a fully charged battery):
1. Turn camera on and leave on until battery completely drains.
2. Recorded in 1080p/30 Protune, stabilization, GPS, Connections, voice commands - Off until battery drains
3. Repeat #2 with everything thing on
4. Repeat 2 & 3 but in 4K/30

Write down times for each

Repeat #2 five times turning on only one setting each time with the others off (Protune, Stabilization, GPS, Connections, Voice Commands).

On my HERO6 I can get periods of what appears to be rapid battery drain with the camera on but not recording. However, from 100% - drained, I get normal usage time and recording.

What is the normal usage time and recording for 2.4K and 4K? Could you post yours or if there is an official time from GoPro so I can have a baseline?

I usually just record 1080 for smaller file size and because the SD card I used before is only a Sandisk Ultra so not good for 2.7K or 4K videos. I tried recording a few short 4K clips from my last trip but I didn’t really took notice of the battery % decrease. 

Tourist

hi, ive recived my GoPro hero & black just short of two weeks ago and ive been also noticing that even while using the included GoPro branded USB type C cable, the GoPro will stop charging at 99% and the charging LED indicators will remain lit no matter how long i let it charge. ive charged it overnight on one occasion and woke up to a red charging indicator and a 99% battery percentage. to my knowledge of how batteries work, overcharging it could really damage it in the long run. However, where GoPros differ to smartphones, the batteries are removable and replacable. Im not too worried about a case of getting a new battery to replace the current one. I am however worried as to if the problem is related to my GoPro. TO SUMMARISE : im charging my GoPro hero 7 black with the inclued cable and using an apple ipad power brick. it charges to 99% and will appear to continue charging endlessly and STILL remain at 99%.

I have found a solution but still not an ideal situation to be in. It seems, to get that last 1% to charge ill have to turn the GoPro on and letit charge an extra few minutes and finally get it to 100%

of course i could try and purchase the GoPro dual charger but this issue seems to be a problem with charging it individually. ill update if the problem persists with using the dual charger once ive purchased it.

please fix this problem, thank you.

GoPro

Hello @redriver0444

You can check this article on HERO7 Battery Information for approximate, continuous recording time in minutes when using a fully-charged HERO7 camera for basis. 

Thanks, 
Marius

GoPro

Hello @bravehero44566

Thank you for the details that you provided. Our team is current doing tests on various charging cables and adapters/chargers and firmware versions to get the issue isolated to the source and formulate a fix. We are still waiting for updates. The information on the cable and charger you provided is greatly helpful. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Tourist

@mariustanya

Thing is should the units not be tested or quality checked before being sold? The customers/cloent should not be the tester. We only get 12months warranty which a product should work in otherwise your 12months are up and the unit is still not working. A Hero 6 or 7 is not cheap.
Hiker

@ foggyrange48743

I agree 1000%. This is what happened with the hero 6. I myself beta tested the thing all teh way up to the hero 7 release providing feedback and numerous hours on the phone, troubleshooting, numerous rma's, etc. Beta testing a product that should have been better before release, and now here we are again with the same thing happening with this hero 7.

Tourist

@ redwave72846

Think i should have kept my 4 or 5 rather. Does not help you bring out all these fancy settings and names for them but the default things needed to use a camera is the problem. Start making the cameras cheaper or do the clients pay for testing?