Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Adventurer

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

Also, in case you don't know, Bluetooth stays on for 8 his after the camera is shut off. If, turn on with voice command, is also on, you will get considerable battery drain as the camera is not truly off.
Hiker

How did you guys update your Hero 7 manually? I went to: https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/Software-Update-Instructions-for-HERO-Cameras and followed these prompts:

Manual Update
Note: Useful for updating or reinstalling camera software. 

1. Go to the HERO 2018 update page.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system.

When putting in my serial number the number is outlined in RED indicating it is not a valid serial number and I am not able to proceed. I have verified multiple times and it is the correct serial numbrer. What gives???

Thanks in advance.

Hiker

Oh boy...disregard post. Of course there is GoPro Hero (2018) and also a Hero 7 black. ::face palm::. My apologies.

Tourist

I turned on both voice control and wake on voice and shut down my Hero 7 at 68% battery level. Other settings are as follows; GPS = On, Wireless Connections = On.  Almost 3 hours after, I turned it on and battery is at 65%. As I left the screen on, it went to 64% then 63% without doing angthing. For me, I don’t think voice control os the culprit of the draining, at least not on mine.

Yours drains faster though. I get that kind of decrease in battery when screen is on.

Nomad

Just time charging without am sd card in should be fine. It worked for me.
Tourist

I have the same issue. Battery is not charging. How the frick are you supposed to charge it if you don’t have an external battery charger. WTF Gopro??!
Tourist

@danielr15 I can only toggle on/off “wireless connections”, no separate setting for wifi or for bluetooth (I think this is also the same with my Hero 5). But when connecting to the GoPro App now, it only prompts to turn on wifi. On Hero 5 i think it also asks you to connect via bluetooth because I still have my GoPro on my bluetooth device list.

Also pre-upgrade, my phone can’t detect my Hero 7 on bluetooth, only wifi. I think it only prompted me to connect the bluetooth during or right before the upgrade started. Is this normal? When is bluetooth used if it is not required for the app?

So basically you have to turn off wireless connections before shutting down? If so, I don’t find this convenient when travelling and using the GoPro with the GoPro App every few minutes/hours.

Tourist

[ Edited ]

@quickhero77554 wrote:
Just time charging without am sd card in should be fine. It worked for me

I already tried this but didn’t work for me. I still saw that 0% after doing that.

By the way @quickhero77554, before you tried this, were you already updated to 1.51? If so, how did you do the update? Via app or manual?