Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

Yes, interesting. My external battery charger has no problems charging the batteries to 100%. It seems as though it is software related because nothing is being used when I experience the excessive drainage. Strictly turning it off and leaving the GoPro sit idle (off) and there still seems to be something draining it. Either that, or it is the GoPro unit itself (firmware-wise) not registering a proper battery percentage.
Tourist

@bcharleson could you halt that manual update for a few hours? I’m thinking we both turn on that voice control and leave the GoPros off for an hour or so and then we compare results? It would be best to get some data before we do the manual update.

Hiker

@redriver0444 sound good. I've turned in Voice Command on and it's at 100%. I've confirmed I'm already at Firmware v1.5 via the Quik Desktop so it indicated that it's up to date. GoPro is off and at 100% battery with SD card in. Let's compare in a few hours.

Hiker

[ Edited ]

Update again -- In just turning it on, the screen came on and it said 91%. In 1 minute it (as I type this) it went to 85%. The GoPro has sat in the off position without doing a single thing.

Adventurer

Are connections (WiFi & Bluetooth) on or off?
Hiker

Voice control, Bluetooth and Wifi left on.

Hiker

Here's an update to my testing.

I've received my 3rd party batteries and external charger from Amazon.

I have been able to charge the gopro battery that came with the hero 7 black to 100% and is showing correctly.

My battery level is not jumping around anymore but I haven't done much playing around with the recording or turning it off and on often like you would if you were using it on a trip.

My battery is not draining when off like it did during the first couple days of owning it. Here are a few things I did that I think helped.

1. Manual firmware update. As I've stated in a previous post, my cellular data connection is bad, and your phone is connecting to your gopro via wifi and downloading the software update through your phone.

2. A full battery drain cycle - New batteries may not be calibrating/charging/displaying correct power until a full charge and drain has happened so I let it record until it died. Then charged again.

3. I've tested the battery drain with gps, wifi, voice control all on, then all off, then just with wifi and gps. Now I only have wifi and gps running and I don't get any battery drain with the camera off.

I'm not saying this will fix all your issues but this is what I've done to get mine working close to normal.

Adventurer

[ Edited ]

The small incremental battery drops don't tell as much as (with a fully charged battery):
1. Turn camera on and leave on until battery completely drains.
2. Recorded in 1080p/30 Protune, stabilization, GPS, Connections, voice commands - Off until battery drains
3. Repeat #2 with everything thing on
4. Repeat 2 & 3 but in 4K/30

Write down times for each

Repeat #2 five times turning on only one setting each time with the others off (Protune, Stabilization, GPS, Connections, Voice Commands).

On my HERO6 I can get periods of what appears to be rapid battery drain with the camera on but not recording. However, from 100% - drained, I get normal usage time and recording.