Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Adventurer

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

@redriver0444
For sure don't spend money on a new card. If you can borrow another, great, but since you are already using an approved card, all other trouble shooting steps should be attempted first.

Best of luck!
Hiker

I'm also having the same issue with my Hero 7 Black. I put in a 100% charged battery last night only to turn it on this morning and it's at 71%. It was completely off. Something is draining these batteries. My guess is the voice command. I'm gonna turn voice command off and see if that fixes it.
Tourist

[ Edited ]

I had the same issue. Battery on charge all night and didn't get to 100%.

Went to charge it again and the charge light wouldn't come on.

Pressed the power button while plugged in and it said I didn't have the battery installed which if course I did.

As soon as I unplugged it from power, it died and would only work on the mains.

I'm thinking the batteries are the issue. Not charging, not holding power and not being idendified by the camera,

I've returned the camera to the retailer and due to low stock levels, have the replacment on order.

I really hope the new unit is much better,  Starting to regret changing from the Hero 6  to the Hero 7 Black.

Adventurer

You're probably right about the battery being the issue. There are plenty of people NOT having any battery problems. The HERO6 shipped with one of two different manufactured batteries. People who got one type seemed fine, while the other caused issues. I know I had one battery that made my HERO6 have charging/discharge issues. Strangely enough (and I don't know if it was firmware related or just from several discharge/recharging cycles) I no longer know which battery it was as all of my batteries work fine now.
Hiker

[ Edited ]

To follow up on my post above and help with troubleshooting:

I got my Hero 7 from a local retailer without an SD card (they didn’t have any in stock that was compatible) so I took the Hero 7 home with an SD card on order. I plugged it in the Apple USB charger with GoPro provided cable and saw it was at 80% initial charge. I let it sit there for a good while (couple hours) and it stuck st 87%). I didn’t think anything of it and began playing with it, with the option to upgrade firmware. I later canceled my online SD order and picked up a ScanDisk Extreme Ultra 64GB from another local store.

Brought it home and upgraded firmware via the GoPro mobile app which downloaded successfully. It still would not charge to 100% thinking it was something other than the camera so I bought a couple more third party batteries and an external charger.

The external charger charged all three batteries to 100% and verified each battery in the GoPro to be working and at 100%. The GoPro functions and does everything great so I continued to use it but the battery usage still seemed off.

Last night, I verified putting in a battery at 100% and woke up this morning and it was at 71% with SD card in.

As of this morning, I’ve swapped to another fully charged battery with SD card in and everything left on except Voice Command (Wifi & GPS on). My initial guess is that the Voice Command (especially when it comes to Wake-on commands) is sucking excessive battery juice. This is almost the same issue Apple had years back with the “Hey Siri” issue when a phone was not on the charger. I could be wrong, but worth a shot.

Will certainly keep close eye on this thread.

Tourist

Update:

I charged without the SD card, it got to 100% just fine as you can see on the photo. Btw, unlike other users, I have no problems getting that 100% charge with or without the SD card. I charged my Hero 7 this morning with SD card inserted and it also got to 100%. I use an Apple power adapter.

1EC5EB2F-7903-485A-A85A-E6A993461833.jpeg

I turned it off and on again, still 100%. I recorded a 13-min video (1440@30) and I have 74% juice left after I stopped the recording. My screen was off most of the time and at 30% brightness during that 1 min before the screensaver activated. So with this, I’ll get just around 50 mins continuous recording with the screen off until my battery runs out. If I’ll charge this to 100% and take photos or videos every other few mins with the screen on more frequently, then I assume my battery will drain more quickly. Probably around 40 mins because when I used it the other night with the screen on most of the time, I consumed 40% of the battery in 20 mins or less.

AFCFE468-D57B-46FB-94AA-C98B1E58F55F.jpeg

Anyway, I turned it off to let it cool down for a few minutes because my GoPro was really hot. After I turned it on again, and saw that dreaded 0%  again.

A0471871-18C1-4595-8B21-E99E2290A21E.jpeg

So, no, just charging without the SD card does not work all the time.

That manual update is my next step. If that doesn’t work, either I’ll buy a new SD card or return it this GoPro to the store. I still have 3 days for item replacement without going under warranty.

Hiker

Update to mine as well:

In checking the GoPro with it completely turned off (100% verified two hours ago). Everything is on by default except Voice Command off. I turned it on and it said 97%. In just 3 minutes of having it on and checking the settings on the GoPro app it went to 92% (I watch the battery level go to 94%, then 93%, 92%). No video or pictures taken. I turned it off and turned back on and it still remains at 92%. Something is clearly draining the battery excessively. 

Seems as though the Voice Command is not the culprit. Turning that on and going to check out this manual update. 

SD card - 64GB ScanDisk Extreme PLUS

Tourist

If the same battery charges to 100% on an external charger and gets stuck on 80% charging in the unit, then this could be an issue on the GoPro unit or the firmware and not on the battery right? Something in the firmware or the unit halts the charging.

Or maybe the battery is actually fully charged but the unit or the firmware does not recognize the actual battery level which is at 100%. Because when I encountered the 0%, I can still navigate the menu. On my older GoPros, I just see 1% before the unit beeps and shuts down. So its possible that the Hero7 just shows 0% but the actual battery level is not since I can still use it.

I turned my GoPro off a minute when it had the 0%, and it already displayed the last non-zero battery percentage I had when I turned it back on. Thoughts??

It would be nice if people experiencing the issue wherein the battery does not charge full on their GoPros, put that same battery on an older model and see if the battery percentage is higher than the percentage it got stuck in. I just sold my Hero 5 so I don’t have another unit to test the battery with.

For the draining issue, I turned on my voice control and will check my battery percentage in a few hours. Based on my observation, my  Hero 7 usually just have 1 percent decrease from the level it was when I turn it off. If I leave it idle for 5 mins until it automatically shuts  down, the percentage decreases about 3-4% from the last.