Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

Sorry, two or three failures one might say maybe not a problem. Multiple failures like this says there is a defect that is not being addressed.

Failure rate on SD cards leaving the manufacturer is less than 2 in 1 million due to extensive testing. Batteries are a little higher than that. 

The failure rate of the Hero 7 is far beyond what would be acceptable at the electronics company I worked for as an engineer. GoPro specifies the SD cards and the batteries are from their own suppliers. The testing should take into consideration multiple variables and eliminate those that fail before they hit the consumer’s hands.

We designed test modes into our products so we could cover 100% of the functions our products were capable of performing and the testing included interoperability between the functions to make sure the product would perform as expected. Because we used quality parts in our products our return rate was less 1 in 700,000. Even with that rate, our failure analysis group worked hard to find the root cause so the testing could be updated and, if necessary, the hardware or firmware updated.

i am not impressed with the Hero 7 due to the battery issues even after the latest firmware.

Adventurer

@larryh8302

Almost nothing that you stated is true.  Even more ridiculous is your implied notion that GoPro doesn't do QC on their products.

Tourist

If you do your resaearch, you will find I am right. The cost to make a design change on silicon is prohibitive. Reputable Integrated Circuit companies strive and achieve a less than 2PPM (Parts per Million) failure rate. It is cost prohibitive to do a redesign. A 43nm (Nano-meter, and this is old technology) process may require 49 lithographic masks to generate a circuit on a silicon wafer. Each mask can cost between $300,000 to over a $1,000,000 each. Companies would rather spend money to PROVE the design before they commit to purchase a photo mask.

Once a company commits to the masks, the testing has only started. Silicon samples have to go through an environmental testing for “COMMERCIAL”, INDUSTRIAL” or “MILITARY specifications, depending on the final customer. Any failures have to go through a failure analysis. The failure root cause will either require a design change or process change. At the very least, a two mask change (wiring) could fix the problem. However, a wiring change mask is the most expensive.

When all is done, what goes to the consumer is almost bullied proof.

if I implied GroPro does not do Quality Control, let me clarify: THE DO NOT! A very good example is their attempt in the drone market. The Karma was a complete failure. They pushed a known flawed design to market, and had to recall every one. 

Go Pro has not learned from their mistakes. All you to do is search for GoPro Failures and the evidence is there. I am glad I did not purchase GoPro stock on their IPO.

Nomad

Firmware is not one of GoPros best points.

Every new HeroX launches with a beta version of the firmware. 3 to 6 months later they give you updates which fixes most of the issues.

The Hero6 i.e. was worthless to use until the late february 2018 update. I.e. did take GoPro 6 months to fix the issues after the camera was put on sale. This is not acceptable.

Nomad

[ Edited ]

Everything that has been said about GoPro's failures is completely true. They can't seem to release a finished product. I have owned Hero 5, 6, and 7 and I know that this is true. If you argue against it you're completely deluded and so far up Nick Woodman's arse you may as well be one of his turds.

Hiker

@quickhero77554

I agree 100%. I also have owned many gopro products starting with hero 4 silver and up.  4 was nearly the best, 5 next in line, and 6 and 7. Should be the other way around with each new series be better then it's older products. The glitches have gotten worse. I think it is the new gopro 1 chip they claim is an in house chip. I am so glad I sent my hero 7 back. I would have bought a fleet of them if they were a good working product.

Tourist

Totally agree with the above posters!  H4 has been nearly perfect besides the interference with my GPS computer.  I added another gopro link to push it further away and it's more or less fine.

My H6 died in under a year and that sucker has always run hot since day one.  One of my H7 is replacement of the dead H6.  My 2nd H7 is a gift with the tradeup program.  First I am made aware that these newer GoPro has problem was not from the forum.  It's when I brought the H6 back to REI after it died and the employeeS there told me they seen them failed all the time and returned!  I have another friend going to the store getting a new GoPro a year or so ago and the people at **bleep**'s sporting good were telling him to get the H5 instead as that is more stable.

I took all those with a grain of salt and thought maybe just bad batch or something.  It's not until the H7 froze the first time I turn it on that I started investigating/going through this forum in depth and see all these issues.

Nomad

Got to love how my comment was altered... why would you filter someone on this forum. Opinions are valid and if you don't like them then say so rather than block a message. All I said was GoPro products were unfinished and they need to product test more. This basically highlights this forum being a bit of a joke...