Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

IMG_5343.jpg
Nomad

Someone posted yesterday that their SD card for some reason was affecting the charging of the camera. I can now confirm that THIS IS CORRECT.

My camera would only charge to 93% and lost ALL charge overnight despite being turned off.

I removed my SD card and charged again. Voila! 100% charge and now no issues with battery drain.

It seems the solution is to do at least one charge without your SD card inserted, after this you can put your SD card back in and have no issues.

The only thing that is concerning here is that my SD card - Sandisk Extreme PLUS 64gb V30 is a recommended card, so this should maybe be reviewed?

Thanks.

Tourist

I bought my GoPro 3 days ago. Tested the unit fine at the store, didn’t notice any significant drain in the battery. Though I didn’t have an SD card inserted at the time. I got home and charge it though not to 100%, just about 80% enough juice to play with it. (I didn’t know there were issues on so 🤷🏽‍♀️). Changed the default settings while exploring it. Went from 80% to about 69% by just exploring menus and changing settings. I left it idle for a few mins to check my social media, when I came back it was already unit it was hot and battery was at 51%. Just FYI, the settings before I left it idle; brightness = 32%, screensaver = 1 min, auto power off = 5 mins, GPS = on, wireless connections = on, voice control = off. I found it weird but continued using it. I tried video and photos, then tried sharing it on Instagram via the app. Within a few mins, battery went from 51% to 14%. I checked my time photo time stamps on the app but can’t see the exact time. Though I’m sure I started around I started past 11:40pm bec that’s the last time I responded to a message before I started taking videos and photos. Only the last photo I took is stamped the next day date (since it was past midnight). So roughly that’s about 20 mins from 11:40pm to 12:00~am, and the battery went down almost 40%??? And the unit is really hot. Also FYI, I inserted the SD card just before I used it, not before I charged. I’m using a Sandisk Extreme 64GB, UHS-1/U3 V30.
Tourist

Update:

So I did an update via the app before my Hero 7 ran out of juice. After the update, I shut it off.  I left it for a few hours to charge this morning. (I just read this thread and found out about the manual update step while I was charging the unit so I wasn’t able to do it)  Anyway, it was at 100% when turned it on.

69CB519A-1DA5-49F6-9AE5-811E390109F2.jpeg

I have used the Apple 10W Power Adapter (5.1V & 2.1A output) on both times I charged my unit since I bought it. Left it idle for less than 5 mins (just enough to turn off the screen), battery was at 97%.

218B3B76-581B-4656-8BC6-59FB7301B5E6.jpeg

I left it longer until the camera auto shuts down (my setting is at 5 mins), when I opened it again, battery is already at 0%.

076E8349-5624-4E99-979B-FED024D34223.jpeg

I turned it on again and it is back to 90 range, 93%.

B7C815B1-272F-4929-890A-660D752DE02E.jpeg

I will try to do the manual upgrade later, but can anyone explain what is the difference between a manual upgrade and the one from the app? Is there something extra on the manual upgrade (except for the extra steps) that fixes this battery issue? I’ve always used the app to upgrade my GoPro’s firmware.

And another thing, I’m seeing replies on this thread that points out to the micro SD card causing the issue. I’m sure I am using an authentic Sandisk SD card because I have tested the read and write speeds after I purchased it, results are close to the advertised read and write speeds.  But can anyone explain how the power consumption is affected by a storage component?? 

Hoping for immediate feedback.

Thanks

Tourist

I have this issue too. My version number is 01.51. I am using a SanDisk Extreme Plus. 32gb. HC I.
Nomad

Guys as I said, try charging with the SD card removed
It should go to 100% and not have any further issues.
Adventurer

@redriver0444

The camera scans the SD cards for errors, speed, compatibility, and storage space available.  This has actually been a long standing issue going back to the Hero3 cameras, whereby if the camera has any issues while doing the scan, it gets stuck in somewhat of a loop causing excessive heating, locking, and battery drain (not always all three).  While GoPro cameras are certainly finicky when it comes to SD cards (and it's something I wish they could overcome), I've also found that it's important to not overlook the card as part of the issue.  Inasmuch as a camera can come off the assembly line with a defect, so can the memory card.  I have literally purchased two identical SD cards (usually it's SanDisk with this issue but I've also had it with Lexar) from the same place at the same time and had widely different results with each.  In fact, I have a SanDisk Extreme 64GB card in my phone for external storage that works great.  If I put it in my HERO6, I get lock ups, battery drain, and occasional "Repairing File" messages.  A second SanDisk Extreme 64GB card, which I purchased at the same time/place, works great in my HERO6 and has never given me any issues (and I use this camera a lot).  Both cards are genuine and like I mentioned, both seem to work fine, just not in the GoPro. I have a similar experience with two Lexar 633X cards and my GoPro Hero3 Black.

The manual update really should be no different that wirelessly or through the Quik Desktop app, but for whatever reason, doing a manual update seems to reboot the camera and also ensures that the update is applied correctly.  

Tourist

Hi @danielr15, Thanks for the explanation for the SD card and power consumption correlation. Makes sense but it is disappointing that something like this is still happening after 4 generations of GoPros. 

Though I’m quite confident this SD card I have works okay with GoPros because I’ve used this with my Hero 5. Bought this card to have a secondary SD card on my trip last April. It did not seem to cause any issues on my Hero 5, particularly on power consumption. Battery lasts just about the same with the other card I was using. Anyway, I’ll do the manual upgrade when I have the time later. I hope it does work. I wouldn’t want to buy another SD card until I’m sure this issue is not caused by the firmware or a problem on the unit.

Right now I’m just doing what @quickhero77554 suggest here, charge to 100% without the SD card. Then I’m going to test the unit again after that. So charging without the SD card is a one time thing right? Or do we have to do this everytime to prevent the issue from happening?

Thanks for the feedback, I’ll keep you guys updated!