Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

Thanks @sweetcreek58382
My son and I have been using our HERO7 Black a lot over the last couple of days (both with the Vietnamese batteries and on the latest firmware via manual update). Both cameras have has no issues or problems both in performance or charging/draining. This camera does eat up a lot more juice than the HERO5/6, but has held up very well. Today I went surfing (filming in 2.7K/60 and did a few TimeWarp videos). By the time I got home I was at 23%. My son took his to school to do some, "vlogging" (2.7K (4:3)/30) and when he got home he was at 50%. Threw both on a charger and they went to 100% and the LED turned off.

I only have the one Chinese battery that came with my HERO6 and I did try it out and it seemed fine. I recorded for about ten minutes, connected it to charge and it went to 100% and the LED turned off. I plan to do a side by side comparison of both cameras later next week (I'm heading out of town). My plan is to charge both (one with the Vietnamese battery and the other with Chinese) and then put both to Never turn off and time lapse both with a timer to see which drains faster. I'll then plug both in to a charger and test which charges faster and if the LED turns off on both when 100% charge is reached.

My only concern is, that while my Chinese battery used to give my charging/draining issues, it doesn't seem to do it anymore after several discharges/recharging. Since my use of the battery over the past year may have conditioned it somehow, it's not a great reflection of what other members here are experiencing. I'm worried that if the Chinese battery works fine the conclusion will be that there is an issue with people's cameras, when really they just need to use discharge/charge their batteries a few more times.

One last thing to note. Although this thread is about battery issues, there is an interesting issue that @toughgorge40055 has noticed when filming in 2.7/30 without stabilization https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Defect-in-GoPro-Hero-7-Black-v1-51-2-7K-30FPS-No-Stabilizatio...

I haven't tested this, but since I mentioned above how I have not had any issues, I don't want it to come across as me saying, "There are no issues". I can only speak from my (and my son's) experience, and so far it's been great.
Highlighted
Tourist

@danielr15Thanks for the input. I agree that we can only speak for our experience.  I also agree that charge/discharge cycle can condition the battery somewhat.  However, I do want to mention that for my last trip, I ended up buying 5 other V batteries brand new and none of them has this lost of charge behavior when first use.  So FWIW, the C batteries seems to have different characteristics than the V batteries right out of the box.  I will definitely keep track of the C battery and report back if there is any improvement as I will be using it in the H7 for the time being.  I just won't be focusing on the battery aspect before my 30 days are up to see what else there is.  This forum has been very helpful.

Highlighted
Hiker

Ok this is my first GoPro as well. But....having owned many devices it seems particularly odd that one would have to fight against the battery drain this badly. My brightness is set to medium.
I’m simply trying to find out whats normal but simply having my GoPro turned on without filming and to lose 1% a minute...well that is certainly going to be a battle against the clock so to speak.
Highlighted
Explorer

Honestly @mikea7050 seeing a drop like that doesn't sound abnormal. I'm not saying it's ideal, just that GoPro cameras with rear LCDs do eat up a lot of juice, even when just on and sitting idle. This isn't just with the HERO7 Black.

One thing I really want to stress to people who are having battery issues like not being able to charge to 100%, overnight complete drains, and red LED lights not turning off. This is a great place to discuss these issues with other members, but if you want your issue addressed, you need to contact the GoPro Support Team https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs and also leave feedback on the feedback page. https://gopro.com/feedback

I know this is long, but I wrote this on another post and think it might also help people in this thread waiting for an official response from GoPro, or those who think that by just posting here there voice is being heard.

While, "Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked" doesn't really provide much definition to how the Community Support is supposed to function, the Getting Started guide gives a little more clarity, " a spot where passionate people can offer up their know-how with other GoPro fans". This really isn't supposed to be a place for notifying GoPro of issues and feedback. They have generally tried to have a hands off approach. In most cases, Mods will only jump in when a post goes unanswered, there is a tip or solution that the other members have not suggested, to affirm a suggestion, or to regulate post that don't adhere to community guidelines.

For most issues that cannot be fixed with a simple settings change, changing a SD card, or running a manual update, it's important that users contact the GoPro Support Team and/or leave feedback. When they do so, the issue is logged by GoPro and can be forwarded to the appropriate department. This, however, sometimes causes people to get frustrated, as often I'll hear the complaint, "all you ever say to do is use a recommend SD card and perform a manual update!". Well, yeah, when it comes to malfunctioning cameras, this is true. Of course, if that doesn't work, I also suggest contacting the GoPro Support Team. In most cases, there really isn't much more that can be done. At least not by the user, and usually not without voiding the warranty (replacing a ribbon, motherboard, etc.,). I've done hardware fixes on my cameras but the most I'll do is make a suggestion like this on the forum is after the user is well past their warranty and after they have spoken with GoPro Customer Support and have not gotten a resolution.

As far as using this site as a place to complain about missing features or features not living up to expectations, this is a fine place to vent but it's not the best place to get your opinions noticed by GoPro. Shouting, "Fix it GoPro!" or lamenting that there hasn't been an official response to a post is just shouting into the wind. I have no doubt that the Mods do forward these things to the appropriate teams when they see them, but it shouldn't be counted on. (<--- I'm not saying that they shouldn't, but rather it shouldn't be counted on, as it's not the purpose of this community).

Now, I'm not saying that there isn't room for improvement with this site. If you have suggestions for the Community, GoPro actually provides a place for you to leave those comments as well Support-Hub-Suggestions . These comments ARE read and responded to by GoPro employees. Interestingly enough though, even with my post stickied to the top, READ-THIS-BEFORE-YOU-POST-HERE , there are very few suggestions and mostly just people posting issues or questions in the wrong forum.
Highlighted
Hiker

@danielr15 okay, good to know, thanks. 

Highlighted
Nomad

[ Edited ]

Hi guys

After 2 weeks of tests and about 20 times of charging I think it is not bad. I have not samsung battery. Many will say that my battery is this worst one.

Couple of facts:

1. Its only 1200mAh, not to big if you recording in 4k/60fps - enough for 56 min at higher resolution. (overheat and this is a problem)

2. Yes, after full charge is droping down in a blink of an eye to 98% but so what. If you start recording this value will not drop so quick as in IDLE, belive me. We can say this drop is like psychological think, you logic will say if I do nothing and after 2 sec my battery will be drop 2-3% so what will be if I load it more by recording.......nothing. Will be enought good for quite long time. Today I took it to the Park and I did couple of diffrent videos (mix modes and res for test), photos, 2 long timewarps. We can say I use it ~ 40 minuts. My battery drop from 50% to 17% = 33%.down in 40 minutes of capturing - not bad. Conclusin dont worry just record, you will see. I am doing lots of shorts clip as many of you, not soccer gamplay static recording. 

3. If your battery went through couple of charging cycles would be better, like "formating" it. 

4. I have one rule. Never ever charge battery if is above 10 % (ok I have 50% so I will charge - nope) and never ever charge it if is drain to 0% (I know sometimes is hard - like timelaps and you wait for just 30 frames yet ant level of battery is 8% ;) )So if my battery is >10%< I charge it.

Everything above is my feeling about GP7 battery, for sure I ll buy second one as a backup.

Issue nr1 is still heating if you rec > 12 mins.

Highlighted
Adventurer

@quickhero77554 wrote:
@danielr15

Yawn...

For anyone wanting a quick translation of that 97392738272 word post here it is:

"My name is Daniel and I can't help you with your problem, so talk to my best friends at GoPro. Also please give me a job GoPro?"

@quickhero77554   ???

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi Daniel

I guess you are right regarding we won't get an answer from them but regarding the complaining part, this sure is the best place as everyone sees it. Sending directly an email no one else will know about the problems experienced.

I mean spending so much money on something (+- price of a entry level laptop that has more warranty also and that does not require testing to make sure all its features works) and not even getting real replies from the guys who designed it is really dissapointing I must say.

I would not want to return something i just bought as then I would not have bought it from the start. Think of all the people who bought and does not even know about this whole battery issue. Maybe 8months later they notice but then the guys won't replace the battery. I think warranty on the units must also increase to 18months. If you believe you are selling a good product then back it up. Its almost been on the market for a month again and there the people already have 30days less on warranty, not even knowing what other issues might arise after a few months use.

Just my 2c's