Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black Battery Issues

Update to my last post, I took the SD card out and it charged up to 100%. Check it this morning and it was on 99%, so no issue with any drain i can see. I did do the firmware update before all of this. No issue with doing the update other than when i first tried fogot it was not plugged in as battery was only on 17%, when i did, ther app did not dectect it was plugged in. I had to close it and reopen it then it worked without a hitch. The SD Card came witht he camera and is the same ScanDisk 32gb one that GoPro sell direct. So its not overly great that it seems to have issues with the card that gopro themselves recomend. Maybe support can explain why they seem so senstive to SD cards and if at somepoint this will be fixed in a firmware update. I am a paiten man, i can wait as long i know at somepoint this will get fixed. 

Hiker

Easiset solution to those charging freezes is to use different usb-c cable. Try the one which came with the GoPro! 👍
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Update to battery testing:

I did a manual firmware update instead of using the app. Not sure if this helped at all.

Charged for over 8 hours. Only can get to 98%

Left unplugged overnight and I'm pleased to report the camera only lost 1% of battery life (still at 97%). This is with gps, wifi, voice control all turned off. Will have to test with at least gps left on.

Did a 1440 timelapse of my 25 minute drive to work this morning.

Battery went from 97% to 74%.

I guess that is on par with what should be expected?

On the plus side, the video quality and hypersmooth is amazing.

I've ordered the recommended sd card and two 3rd party batteries with external charger.

Hopefully, I won't encounter any more issues.

Will report back here after more testing.

GoPro

We'll wait for it @greenboost65412,

Thanks,

-Jay

GoPro

Hello Everyone, 

Our team is currently working on this issue. We would like to gather more information from you so we can have a better understanding of what could be causing such. Will you be able to identify the charger (adapter/box that plugs into the wall) that you used to charge your HERO7 Black camera? Pictures would be very helpful. Please indicate as well if you have used the USB-C cable that came with the camera package. 

Thank you in advance. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Hiker

@mariustanya
Explain to me how your team is going to fix that issue when the same issue pre-exists on the hero 6 black that still have not been addressed? I still have 2 hero 6 blacks that have that charging battery drain issue. We owners of the hero 6 black have been left out in the cold with no fix in sight, and the new hero 7 has the same identical problems, and this is a top priority now for your team? Why not make it priority to fix these hero 6 blacks as well?
Hiker

This combination freezes my Hero 7 Black:

Oneplus Dash charger.jpg

OnePlus Dash Charger and USB-C dash charging cable.

Guess it's not the charger alone, 'cause even just the cable with laptop causes freezing. No problems with the cable which came with the camera.

Charger specs:

Input: 100-240V ~50-60Hz 600mA
Output: 5.0V == 4A

GoPro

You have a good point, @redwave72846. We do not have details as to how the team in charge is working on the fix. We help them with information that they need, information that we get from you. I will definitely share your query with them, especially of the issue happening exactly to both HERO7 and HERO6 cameras. Rest assured that the current battery issue is prioritized and we would appreciate any helpful information that you can provide. 

Thank you, @mika7171 . I have submitted the details that you provided to the team. I see that you were able to charge your camera battery fully (100%) by using the GoPro-provided charging cable. Any observation on battery life?